Why protien suppliment???

Jay22

Reaction score
A freind of mine reckons i should take a protien supliment so my strength inceases quicker. I personly think this is bad idea as i would make me put on wieght and then pushups and pull ups would become harder? ... Right?
Please help me on this one guys...

Thanks

Mr T

Reaction score
Unfortunatly, you friend is sadly mistaken if he thinks that taking whey protein will increase your strength quicker.

Whey protein is just the protein from things such as fish, cheese, eggs, peas, (things contained in any normal healthy diet), but in an isolated form. Eat well and you will make the gains you need.

The only thing that will increase strength and muscle endurance is good 'ol fasioned hard work, (plus steroids but I would advise against those if you intend to join RM).

If you wish to increase your press-up max then use the search button and check out some of the previous threads, some great ideas there.

Good luck

Jas

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
All you need is a good diet and to put in plenty of hard work.

JK

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Protein shakes do work, but you only notice the differences after you stop taking it.

Tomm2024

Reaction score
Hi,

Working in a gym, the question of supplements constantly comes up. Protein supplements are alright if you're looking to put on weight, however the type of training that seems to be best for PRMC are bodyweight exercises. For these, the type of strength needed isn't absolute strength (as in 'I can bench press more than you') but strength to bodyweight ratio. There are people who are massive and the larger a muscle is typically (but not always) the more it can lift. But, while larger muscles can increase absolute strength, it doesn't always increase strength to bodyweight ratio.

For my training, I'm not taking protein supplements because I'm getting enough protein in my diet as it is. You might want to take them if you don't get enough protein in your diet (if you're veggie...). The only supplement that will help with strength increase is called Creatine, BUT I wouldn't take it. Creatine allows you to create more energy in a session, letting you do just a few more press ups. There are downsides, not the least of which is that once you're in training, I assume you can't take creatine, and the effects wear off shortly after coming off it. There are also other possible side-effects that aren't all that well documented. I've known people with some indigestional problems from it.

Simply put; protein supplements work for specific types of training, usually anaerobic muscle mass increase. From what I know of RM training, it's more aerobic muscle endurance, which involves a different type of training.

If I'm wrong on any of this, which is possible, it'd be great to know!

Cheers,

Tom

Mr T

Reaction score
One of the biggest downfalls of Creatine monohydrate and the other esters in that family is the dehydration.

Creatine makes you very dehydrated and so as tomm said it is a very big risk if you decided to take it as dehydration greatly reduces performance

thundersafety

Reaction score
Protein supplements basically do the same job as food, having said thatI would prefer to eat food ALMOST every time given the choice.

Where protein shakes do have an advantage over food is IMMEDIATELY after exercise as they take much less time to be absorbed and therefore get to work quicker on 'repairing' your muscles.

The type of foods that have protein in are, red meat, white meat, fish, eggs etc.

With regards to putting on muscle mass protein shakes are neither here nor there, the main factor in putting in muscle mass is calories in vs calories out. The reason you see lots of big guys drinking protein shakes are for 3 main reasons

1-The best time to use them is straight after your workout (i.e. at the gym).
2-They are more convinient to carry around and consume (normally you just add water).
3-They read somewhere that drinking protein shakes gives you bigger muscles! :)

You can take all the protein in the world but if you are using more calories than you are consuming you will not add size/bulk. One of the reasons Royal Marines wouldn't add that much muscle mass is because they do such a high volume of exercise its almost impossible to consume more calories than they use up.

Pressups might not be the best muscle builder but there is no better back exercise than Chin Ups, it all depends on how many reps you are doing and your total calorie intake.

I realise that's a long one but wanted to clear up some misconceptions about protein drinks. :)

So therefore in answer to the original question MY opinion would be that protein shakes are a convenient way of consuming calories but are not better than food. So eat lots of good food and you willl be fine :wink:

TS

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Protein shakes are GREAT on the go. I have a very busy lifestyle as it is. A banana and a protein shake in the morning go along way if you dont have time to cook a proper well protein breakfast, or lunch for that matter.