"Why we fight"

S

Sotiris

Just thought I'd put this up for discussion,

I'm currently training with the British Military Fitness group. All the instructors are ex-military. A lot of the ones who train me are ex-Para or ex-Commando. I've been building up my network and have a few numbers for personal trainers.

After the session yesterday I was talking to the PTI (ex-Para man mountain)about what to worry about for selection.

He suddenly got dead serious and asked me if I was "prepared to go to war, because you definitely will". He also asked me "what I felt about going to war" and why I wanted to become a Commando. He explained that I'd probably have to answer all of these questions at the AIB or other interviews. All of this I knew already and have been thinking about for months now.

While the PTI was asking me a genuine question that the selections officers would ask me, it highlighted a very common sentiment that our modern society seems to have adopted. Why is it, in this society, that the prospect of going to war seems so abstract and unnecessary? It's so shameful that the majority of this society don't understand that in many places in this world people have to fight for their survival. That the fighting men and women of this country do what they do so many others can live life in total ignorance of their service.

In addition, my grandfather fought, his father before him and so on and so forth.

Therefore why should it seem so outrageous that I don't consider many other jobs worth doing because nothing means more to this society then the men and women who fight to preserve it? Oh yea, one could argue that fighting a far and distant war in the Middle East (which for many people is that same thing as Narnia or Mordor) has no bearing on how we live our lives here.

But we still have living memory of many wars, battles and conflicts that have been waged to preserve our way of life. Wars have forever shaped the globe, made countries what they are and people who they are.

So yea...that's why I want to be a soldier, because it's a *text deleted**text deleted* load more significant then being most other things.

Sorry for ranting.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Trouble is mate that a person could have been writing the exact same text as you 70 years ago. Now if he is was writing that in German, take a look at what you wrote and try to answer it from the point of view of someone who thought what the Germans did was wrong.

All the best
GW

S

Sotiris

Ah true,

But then what else can I say?

Would I like to go to the Middle East to kill people? No. It's just part of the job. I wouldn't do it for the satisfaction of ending another humans life or to destabalize his country.

A soldier who says he wont fight is in the wrong job. Unfortunately what we are fighting for now may be deemed unjust...more so in Iraq.

Just out of curiosity, how would you answer those question?

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how would you answer those question?

With great difficulty but from what I have heard from everyone that's been and come back, the answer is because "Their mate is going".

Apart from that mate it's a question only someone can answer for themselves.

Although there are complete crazy people out there who do just want to hurt people, on all sides and don't worry about the cause. They are very few but do come along every so often.

S

Sotiris

Aye,

It is a very personal question indeed. And one that I have many answers for. It's funny though, I can put some of it in writing but when the PTI asked me I clammed up. Haha I'll need to practise answering some of the "stock questions" out loud in front of a mirror or something...actualy...that aint a half bad idea :idea:.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
from my point of view i want to be a soldier because it's the closest to 'real' life you can get, and many people have forgotten what 'fighting for your life' actually means, it's not about worrying whether you can keep up payments on your new plasma screen or whether you can buy the new xbox game. working in an office ticking over imaginary numbers to earn imaginary money playing imaginary war games and getting drunk at the week ends does not justify why i am here and just is not my idea of how life should be.
that being said the possibility that i could be going to war purely to make a small group of people/companies richer bothers me, but if it serves the country in the process, i guess that's the way humans are and always have been.

*imaginary as it exists only in computers

Trace

Reaction score
if the afghan war is still on when i go to join up i'll say because i dont like heroin.

Danny Lake

Reaction score
Hello, quite new to these forums. I think we all have our reasons for wanting to join the Royal Marine Commandos. But what it boils down to is that we all want the adrenaline rush. It’s not saying we want to hurt people, but it's accepted that we will. Essentially we will be taking lives, to save lives.

Sure people can get upset about what people might be doing out there, but at least they're there doing something.

Let’s be honest though, all we can do for now is concentrate on getting our own green lids and leave the serious thinking for when it's required. It's good that people are thinking about these things though.. If anything, it makes me feel safer in joining.

Adamos

Reaction score
All very thought through comments (except Trace *text deleted*). Danny, you need to answer this question to get through poc or prmc mate, so think of an answer other than adrenaline rush *text deleted*.

In my opinion, there is no more honourable a profession than a soldier. Trained to kill, but try not to have to. And to be the best, the elite, commando trained, smashing *text deleted*.

Our generation and most of the previous generation never saw combat or times like our grandparents and greatgrandparents, humans naturally adjust to what is normal. That may be a daily fight to live in a war torn country, or buying a new xbox game. Its saddening if the latter is the case, but that is human nature. You have to look at the man to your left, and the man to your right and say, "we know whats real", and take comfort in the fact that the people that matter respect you.

mike webb

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
those whom are drawn to being a solider are a special type of person. the very fact that you are drawn to it, separates you from the rest. i was once talking to somebody about my G.F, and in relating to love she asked whether i would die for my G.F... now to be honest i thought this was all rather over the top....lets do be serious, im 19, im not going to sacrifice my oportunity to get my green lid for a wench! haha!

but on a serious note, i said to her that her question wasnt really a fair one, as she was talking to a potential solider... i would give a lot to save a random stranger, let alone a friend or a partner... and this is not because i have an application with the marines, but because there was something in me which urges me to protect others.

i dont think anyone can really explain their true reasons for joining up... we could maybe loosely explain why specifically the marines.. mine for example is my interest in the navy, which led me to the marines... however.. why do you wish to become a solider? thats a different story, much harder when you peel away the "its a meaningful job" & "better than working your whole life in an office".

mike

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I think, mike, you've hit the nail on the head.

There really isn't a single answer that a single person can give, that truly conveys why they want to become a soldier. I feel the same as you in the laying down of one's own life question. Whilst yes, I wouldn't have earnt my green lid by then, I know that I wouldn't be alive to regret it :P

Just finished watching United 93, cracking film, and that actually displays humans at their worst (terrorists) and at their best (passengers willing to make the ultimate sacrifice to save others).

Soldiers often show humanity at it's best, despite some saying that to kill another human is the worst thing possible, I would disagree. I would rather kill a man who, in my opinion, 'deserves' it, than let him kill any of my friends, or even innocent bystanders. I would rather lay down my life for something, than keep it for nothing.

New Threads