wierd....

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
guys i dont really understand it, why im asking. but how come i can do 40 pressups in 2 mins and only 2 pullups?

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Short sweet answer is that each exercise uses different muscle groups.

Press ups will improve your overall upper body strength and therefore help with pull ups but really you need to lots of pull ups as well to see an improvement.

blocky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
nice one thanks, will my pullups improve faster than my pressups because it took me ages to get this far?

M

MTW

just keep on the pullups mate, they increase very fast, took me about 3 weeks to get from 0 to 4,

pcampbell87

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You will probably see a more rapid increase as your overall fitness will be increasing as well.

Its one of those things that you get out what you put in - the more pull ups you do the bigger the results you will see.

Personally I hate pull ups as (for me at least) it does seem to take forever to see any improvement. Once you can do a couple of extra pull ups try and do your max chin ups and you will be shocked how much your upper body strength has actually increased.

Matt B

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
In a pull up the load is against you pulling your arms into your body therefore the muscles that pull your arms in are being used, these are not really used in a press up because gravity does all the work, its extending your arms which has the load resistance which is not there in a pull up.

Woody

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
My pull-ups aren't my strongest point. I only just cracked out 5 on PRMC. I never really have an opportunity to train them. I have literally nowhere in the house to do them so I have to to go the gym for the pull-up bar.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Like everyone on here has said it's different muscle groups,
I can only do about 15/20 marine press ups,
and I can do 4 pull ups,
and what's also a bit weird is I can do 17 chin ups,
wish I could do them at PRMC *text deleted*.

Joe

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i hate push ups they make me sick, love pull ups there nice little excerise

M

MTW

ditto stuck on 30 push ups, cant seem to get anymore! but my pullups have taken about a month to get from 0 to 6 (cracked six for the first time today!) i hate pushups. *text deleted*

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
Is 6 pull ups the max at PRMC?
Managed to do five yesterday.

Joe