Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Will I need to still shave?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by travince, Mar 23, 2019.

1. travince

travince New Member

Will I need to remove my beard prior to joining? Due to religious reasons I can only slightly trim it?

Is it expected that I remove it when I go to PRMC?

2. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Beards may remain uncut and worn in accordance with religious tradition as long as operational effectiveness and safety is not risked.

@Ninja_Stoker can hopefully confirm?

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  3. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Prior to joining, you are not obligated to observe uniform and dress regulations providing it doesn't pose a health risk to the individual.

I have heard talk of potential changes with regard facial hair and hair length but not seen anything published beyond the existing regulations based on religious observance, link below.

Certain mainstream recognised religions place significance in things such as hair length, beards, headwear, etc and for those passing selection and joining, where practical, exceptions can be permitted in observance of their faith.

Uniform Regulations BR3, Ch 38: https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/-/medi...s/reference-library/br-3-vol-1/chapter-38.pdf

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. Polo

Polo Valuable Contributor

In these days of inclusion and equality it is surprising the armed forces still discriminate on grounds of gender and religion.

If women can join, can have long hair and wear jewellry and sikhs can have beards, then everyone else should surely have exactly the same rules?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Agreed. It may well happen. The Daily Mail will undoubtedly alert everyone if it does.
    Personally I think women should be allowed to grow beards.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Three flats, a round and a bag of gravel....

IMG_20190324_080948.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  7. Jaykay2343

Jaykay2343 Royal Marines Commando

I was led to believe that I had to shave so that my respirator would fit skin tight.

How will this affect people who have a beard for religious reasons, in the case of a chemical attack?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

They risk becoming martyred for their religion, I guess.

Unlike ship firefighting breathing apparatus, which keeps the facemask above atmospheric pressure to prevent inhilation of toxins, the respirator naturally has a sub-atmospheric pressure which means airborne toxins will take the path of least resistance... which will inevitably be through the leaking faceseal rather than the filter.

9. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Often wondered this myself. Also how do the Navy get around this, as they permit the growing of beards?

I assume you can reasonably request that a beard is trimmed in order to maximise the effectiveness of PPE?
    In order for any model of rezzy to work it must seal to your face in order to be effective. Even a tiny leak around the edge can let hazardous air bypass the filter, leaving you exposed to god-knows-what.

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The Navy relies on Colpro (collective protection). We presurrise the ship internally, to form a citadel. Only those outside need to wear ppe, unless we take a hit. Those external are told to shave off if they want to live, but it's their call. We also spray the entire upper decks (pre wet) to wash away contaninants:

DF5i5DlXgAAhZGC.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 2
  11. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

All very fancy.

Shame we didn’t have the same level of protection in our Sanger in our CP.

Absolutely cracking air-conditioning though.

57646F7A-A2EF-4143-8300-788EC7660FCB.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Ditto the air conditioning. Plus the sprung mattress, feather pillows, showers, beer fridge, sweet shop, duty free fags, chefs, sky tv, wifi, etc.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  13. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

And embarrassing if a warship cannot be operationally deployed because its pressurisation doesn't actually work properly. :eek:

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  14. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Exactly, our central heating was easily fixed.

B95018FD-16A9-4428-B25C-6F626B44D4C0.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

They always leak, but that's intentional to stop them going pop. As long as you can get above atmospheric you're OK. If push comes to shove, they'd still be deployed to a war zone and just have to wear relaxed ppe inside. In peacetime, they'll bung the job back to the contractor to fix.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

That makes sense. Please excuse my Pongo knowledge of big, floating grey boxes. :(

• Like Like x 1
  17. ex killick

ex killick Ex-Matelot

I can foresee that the RN/RM will revert to a cast out of ‘Pirates of the Caribbean’ at some point. No shaving, long hair and big hugs seem to be part of future daily orders.

Lovely.

18. westy

westy Venerated Contributor

No different to Nelsons day and they done alright :D

19. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Agreed. Length of hair was not a major factor in the creation of the British Empire and global naval dominance.

Image depicts matelots entering a bar on Union Street, Plymouth.

nelson.jpg

• Hoofin Hoofin x 2
  20. westy

westy Venerated Contributor

Original reason for the blue collar was to protect No1 uniforms from the tar used to keep jacks hair back!!