Will it prevent me from joining?

Bear4236

Reaction score
right so I've found a lump in one of my testicles. Well I've had it a while but never given me problems and has all the symptoms of just a small hydrocele (build up of fluid), I obviously know that if it's cancer then unless it's 100% cleared and I wait a year etc after that then I can't join.. but if it's just a lump and they remove it or worse case have to remove one of my testicles.. would that disqualify me from joining? The only reason I've booked this doctors appt is because i know I won't pass a medical with a lump in my ball So joining the marines is the only reason I'm getting this checked out which is stupid but I'm one of those idiots who won't go to the doctors till it's too late. Any feedback would be helpful, thank you

Chelonian

Reaction score
The only reason I've booked this doctors appt is because i know I won't pass a medical with a lump in my ball So joining the marines is the only reason I'm getting this checked out which is stupid...

What matters is that you've made the sensible decision to address the condition and get it sorted rather than ignoring it. If your aspiration to join the Royal Marines was your main motivator for seeking medical treatment, arguably you already owe the Corps big time. :)

Very best of luck. Let us know how you get on.

Cuzza22297

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
They don't check your balls at the capita medicals, or at least they definitely didn't at mine. So I don't see how anyone would find out.

Having said that, get yourself checked out and make sure you're all ok. The RM won't go anywhere.

As for if you had an op to remove, I'm not qualified to say whether this would prevent entry or not.

Squatmonkey

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
They don't check your balls at the capita medicals, or at least they definitely didn't at mine. So I don't see how anyone would find out.

Having said that, get yourself checked out and make sure you're all ok. The RM won't go anywhere.

As for if you had an op to remove, I'm not qualified to say whether this would prevent entry or not.

Hmm. Is it not a required check? Maybe my doctor just wanted to cop a feel !

Panadol

Reaction score
right so I've found a lump in one of my testicles. Well I've had it a while but never given me problems and has all the symptoms of just a small hydrocele (build up of fluid), I obviously know that if it's cancer then unless it's 100% cleared and I wait a year etc after that then I can't join.. but if it's just a lump and they remove it or worse case have to remove one of my testicles.. would that disqualify me from joining? The only reason I've booked this doctors appt is because i know I won't pass a medical with a lump in my ball So joining the marines is the only reason I'm getting this checked out which is stupid but I'm one of those idiots who won't go to the doctors till it's too late. Any feedback would be helpful, thank you

I was in the same position as you. I booked an appointment with my GP who then referred me to a urologist. He sent me to get an ultra sound just so if i had to, I could prove it was harmless during my medical. Even if you think it won't cause you an issue, it's definitely worth getting it checked out just for peace of mind.

Bear4236

Reaction score
Went today, GP says all is well and he's fairly confident it's just a cyst, which he says doesn't affect anything and they may just decide to leave it when I go see someone else in a few weeks, good to know that nothing out of my control can stop me joining, and I'll definitely not let my own fitness get in the way! Time to train hard and hopefully this time next year I'll be on my way . And hope everyone stays safe during the storm! Already three killed in ROI

Chelonian

Reaction score
Went today, GP says all is well and he's fairly confident it's just a cyst, which he says doesn't affect anything and they may just decide to leave it...

That is definitely good news. Hope everything works out well. Best of luck.

And hope everyone stays safe during the storm! Already three killed in ROI

It's certainly a big 'un. Windspeeds of about 100 mph recorded at Fastnet Rock.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score

Mate. Don't mess around with the old gooseneck and cannonballs. Any lump is worth getting checked out.

If it's nothing then you should be fine. I doubt you would lose a testicle for anything that isn't cancer. Men naturally assume the worse when it's the old sack of plums. Keep calm lad.

I took a riot shield to the ballsack many moons ago and got a lump. I was straight down sickbay. Same with a testicular torsion.
Don't mess about with the mini royals.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
That is definitely good news. Hope everything works out well. Best of luck.

It's certainly a big 'un. Windspeeds of about 100 mph recorded at Fastnet Rock.

Pfft. Had worse on the tip of me tongue. Back in my day I was blown from Exeter to 45, still yomped back and made it in time for turn to.

New Threads