Will martial arts help me join?

calger14

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
i do a martial art called jujitsu which alot of the moves and tricks which our military use. do you think this will help me join as i am also in the national Championships?

MAXPAIN

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
If it gets you fit then it should benefit you + you can kick the arse of the corporal that tries to teach you hand to hand combat *text deleted*

Satch

Reaction score
Ninja will give you the best response but *text deleted* I can't see it having a huge bearing on the selection process. It'll help in terms of keeping fit and stuff but I don't reckon it'll affect anything else - be good to mention in the interview though!

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well I imagine it would not have a direct bearing on your fitness, such as your VO2 max, upper body strength etc.

But it would still be helpful I guess, improving your balance and co-ordination, maybe strengthening your body and helping it to overcome pain.

Edit: Yeah, it will be good to mention that is an activity you do. If you do get in I believe they promote this kind of thing, and may allow you to enter tournaments and what not.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yes if you're part of a club or organization it will help. It will also help fitness greatly and like MAXPAIN said, you'll be able to throw the corporal about when he deomnstrates on you.. In this time it will probably be best to run.. As fast as you can.. Out the door..

Edit: How can you guys not say it will help your fitness, do you know what martial arts involves? *text deleted*! Guys.. Flexibility, stability and core strength are just the minor things but the minor things that are going to help you ALOT with training.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
you fella's will be suprised with wha acctually builds high levels of fitness, one of the fitess lads i every knew done martial arts as a lot of his fitness, their training just doesn't consist of punching, kicking and flipping, they do runs and tough warm ups, circuits, the lot. and dancing also helps a lot as well. i've been doing breakdancing for a bit and my fitness just when through the roof, especiall my core strength. well from what it was befor.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
you fella's will be suprised with wha acctually builds high levels of fitness, one of the fitess lads i every knew done martial arts as a lot of his fitness, their training just doesn't consist of punching, kicking and flipping, they do runs and tough warm ups, circuits, the lot. and dancing also helps a lot as well. i've been doing breakdancing for a bit and my fitness just when through the roof, especiall my core strength. well from what it was befor.

That's totally right, it also builds stability and balance. Try closing your eyes and standing on one leg, most people think they're going to fall over because they don't have anything to focus on yet most martial arts and dancers seem to manage it.

Satch

Reaction score
Yeah I do karate and our warm-up as part of a 2 hour session is at least 30-45mins including sprints, chucking a medecine ball about whilst jogging, circuits doing sit ups, squats, pressups, tricep dips etc., kicks with ankle weights attached and stuff like that! Really hard work - then going straight into a session where if you fidget you then have to do 10 pressups on your knuckles. My fitness has really improved because of it and it's given me a lot of self discipline as well!

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
So fighting type sports definitely worth doing then? Looking and trying some at uni next year, free lessons as part of the gym package.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* Ninja, carefull with the nose ;) (I'm fast at reading posts by the way)

Windy_Chris

Reaction score
So fighting type sports definitely worth doing then? Looking and trying some at uni next year, free lessons as part of the gym package.

See if your uni has a muay thai or straight kickboxing club insane for the old fitness

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
OK in a nutshell:

Partaking in Martial Arts (Candidate "A") in itself will not necessarily have an advantage over someone who has never even tried it, let alone achieved recognised ability (Candidate "B").

However, depending how long "A" has consistently attended instruction, gained grades, competed at various local/county/national/international levels, possibly captained or lead teams or coached others, "A" will potentially indicate many attributes, not least "stickability" that possibly "B" cannot.

In other words if "B" has never competed at any sport, nor consistently achieved, attended or gained recognition at it, then "A" stands to gain at Officer level at least.

recruit clements 1988

Reaction score
I do aikido, thats pretty leathal stuff. And it HURTS like hell *text deleted*...im lucky *text deleted* im quite flexible (breakdancing for a good few years when i was younger) and its kinda stuck...martial arts are hardcore, when youve done a really good session and ure pure dripping you feel youve really achieved....
THEN OFCOURSE THE ENDORPHINES KICK IN AND YOU BUZZ FOR ABOUT 10MINS....then you crash and it hurts
:bud:

bennyd89

Reaction score

I'd look into Krav Maga if i were you. They have military courses that you can attend where they teach you some good stuff (disarming attackers carrying weapons, multiple opponents, speed shooting and the like).