Will most of us do a tour of Afghan?

Oz25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
With the goverment saying we will not be serving in a combat roll in 2013, what are the chances of any of us going to Afghan? It's likely that I will start RT around sept or Oct this year (hopefully) so by the time I pass out of training, It doesn't look like I will be going out, unless Marines will still go to Afghan to train Afghan troops?

Blorange

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
good question but depends what part of marines you get put in, 40, 42, 45, ect. i personally wouldnt want to go to afghan because i dont think its worth the troops dying out there its a pointless war, and the truth is as much as we are destroying them, but they wont stop even when we leave,

but hopefully if i pass all the tests and finish training, i would go where is needed.

andi think we will still be fighting in 2013, we withdraw in 2014 hopefully but we will still be fighting until then.

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It's unlikely the way it is at the moment.

But what are the chances of us going back there in the near future? Pretty high.

DhobiWanKenobi

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I would say it was likely to send some time there training and mentoring, but probably unlikely to deploy in a combat role since the deadlines are moving closer.

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
There will be a number of men working in ANA/ANP training. This wouldn't require too many guys though, so a proper deployment for someone fresh out of RT is unlikely. It'd probably go more to RM NCOs, the Army, the Police (like on tv recently) and such units as the US Army SF 'green berets'.

No jokes though, I think we'll deploy to Somalia which will become the next long-term fight. And all of us will see at least one tour there. Not being daft (e.g. we WON'T fight Iran, at least not officially)... the UK's highest attorney recently ruled it WOULD be legal to strike, there's already a bulk of African troops in-country, it's geographically ideal (Djibouti next door and various allied nations bordering it) and it would mean we could hit 2 birds with one stone - Piracy and Islamic-extremist terrorism. Pirates cost the economy a HUGE amount and we already know that a lot of AQ and other jihadis are trained in Somalia. Then there's the lack of air defence they have and the ease to just wonder in and do as we please.

The media are saying that UKSF already has a squadron out there operating with the Kenyans etc and even though it's all tabloid stuff, it would make sense because it's in our interests and, arguably, defence, to do so.

Jbc

Royal Marines Commando -Moderator
Reaction score
Always something around the corner.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It's interesting, after the Chris Terrill documentaries, that there are still some who wish to deploy to a 'combat zone where the enemy is virtually indistinguishable, the risk of injury from ieds extreme & the prospect of 'winning' a mute point.

The Royal Marine Commandos have only missed a single year in an operational environment since their creation.

I'm virtually certain the majority of those who have served & continue to serve would far rather serve in an operational theatre where a winnable cause has widespread public support, an identifiable opponent & a definitive resolution with a realistic & lasting exit strategy.

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
It's interesting, after the Chris Terrill documentaries, that there are still some who wish to deploy to a 'combat zone where the enemy is virtually indistinguishable, the risk of injury from ieds extreme & the prospect of 'winning' a mute point.

The Royal Marine Commandos have only missed a single year in an operational environment since their creation.

I'm virtually certain the majority of those who have served & continue to serve would far rather serve in an operational theatre where a winnable cause has widespread public support, an identifiable opponent & a definitive resolution with a realistic & lasting exit strategy.
Everyone craves the action. Its what we train to become and do. Afghan seams to provide the most.

I'm sure after the first contact it will all hit home - maybe it would be better elsewhere.

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Just a question to anyone with historical knowledge, maybe even NI experience (Rover, Ste Preece etc?) but why is it only now that the IED threat is being tackled? I may be wrong but weren't Brits facing the same threat right back in The Troubles?

Understandably there are 1000x more IEDs now than in 1979 Belfast but it seems that tackling the threat only became apparent in the second half of the last decade.

Wilke

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I dont believe there will be any operations in Afghanistan scale coming about soon. Definitely no nation building but certainly a few Ops here and there.

Oz25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There will be a number of men working in ANA/ANP training. This wouldn't require too many guys though, so a proper deployment for someone fresh out of RT is unlikely. It'd probably go more to RM NCOs, the Army, the Police (like on tv recently) and such units as the US Army SF 'green berets'.

No jokes though, I think we'll deploy to Somalia which will become the next long-term fight. And all of us will see at least one tour there. Not being daft (e.g. we WON'T fight Iran, at least not officially)... the UK's highest attorney recently ruled it WOULD be legal to strike, there's already a bulk of African troops in-country, it's geographically ideal (Djibouti next door and various allied nations bordering it) and it would mean we could hit 2 birds with one stone - Piracy and Islamic-extremist terrorism. Pirates cost the economy a HUGE amount and we already know that a lot of AQ and other jihadis are trained in Somalia. Then there's the lack of air defence they have and the ease to just wonder in and do as we please.

The media are saying that UKSF already has a squadron out there operating with the Kenyans etc and even though it's all tabloid stuff, it would make sense because it's in our interests and, arguably, defence, to do so.
Interesting comments and I wouldn't be suprised if we did go in at some point. But I wonder if Cameron would want another unsupported war!? it wouldn't be great for his re-election chances! (not that they are looking too great at the moment though).

Iran, would be a nasty war for us to get involved in, and a very expensive one im sure.

DavidOT

Reaction score
Agree with the above. I don't think the general public would have the stomach for another war given the current opinion regarding Afghanistan.

Hopefully this adds something to the earlier debate about motivation to 'get to where the action is'... A few of us were talking to a corporal on my prmc in january. He said his first Afghan tour was great - firefights, attacks, etc. But he said the second, most recent, tour was rubbish. To quote word for word, "Now you're just doing mine clearance with your legs".

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I dont believe there will be any operations in Afghanistan scale coming about soon. Definitely no nation building but certainly a few Ops here and there.
This time 30 years ago I had completed training and was about to join my first ship looking forward to the prospect of a 4 month leisurely trip to Gibraltar, Corfu, Crete, Majorca, Naples, Athens, & Cyprus. I didn't even know where the Falklands were. Eight weeks later, we were fighting our former allies Argentina in an Antarctic winter.

Things can change very fast.

Ross154

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I know the RM have been "operationally deployed" pretty much every year since their formation, but how many of those deployments were actually combat deployments? I'm sure a lot of them were probably just things where the odd bloke from the RM would go on a peacekeeping or advisory role, and that's then "The RM deployemt to an active warzone".

Jbc

Royal Marines Commando -Moderator
Reaction score
Back-to-back Norways, med trips, AT, sports-make-ammends, half-day Mondays and fridays, jollies, range packages, green skills, jollies, exchanges, buckshee exercises all over the world, public events.

Sounds alright to me!

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Back-to-back Norways, med trips, AT, sports-make-ammends, half-day Mondays and fridays, jollies, range packages, green skills, jollies, exchanges, buckshee exercises all over the world, public events.

Sounds alright to me!
Certainly sounds more appealing than stalking an unseen enemy in a minefield to supposedly reduce the threat of terrorism in UK.

Titch_SA

Reaction score
Certainly sounds more appealing than stalking an unseen enemy in a minefield to supposedly reduce the threat of terrorism in UK.
And yet the attraction of Afghanistan is still big to a lot of us potential recruits. Bizarre.

C

C

Sounds alright to me!
And you get paid for that! :eek:

Oz25

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
And yet the attraction of Afghanistan is still big to a lot of us potential recruits. Bizarre.
Of course I would go if required, but I don't fancy doing mine clearance with my legs to be honest. If it was firefights than it would be okay, but now it's just patrol after patrol and 50/50 whether your going to get injured or killed by an IED.

The Marines mentioned on the recent documentary that a few years ago it was okay because it was above board firefights, but now its cowardly and it doesn't matter how well trained you are. None of them wanted to return to Afghan because of it. At least in the Falklands war and others like it, you knew who the enemy were.