Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Will the forum get the same skin/layout as the original?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by DlllonJ, Apr 19, 2013.

1. DlllonJ

DlllonJ Valuable Contributor

Will we eventually get this forum looking just how the previous one did with the pictures of commandos, green borders etc?

So buzzing to be back on the road to getting the old forum back

2. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

Yes, I believe that is the wish.Got some other bits to sort out but I believe that is what people want.

3. Irish Boy

Irish Boy Active Member

So is this the old forum brought back to life ?

4. C

C Guest

Sort of, it's going back to it's unofficial roots and the layout will be much more similar to the PRMC forum than the new official one is. But there is a different forum software being used, which will hopefully be better (e.g. we have a 'like' button) and as it's unofficial again GW (and the membership as a whole) has more control over it to tweak things depending on preferences. So in short, pretty much. It already looks a lot better than the RN one.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Irish Boy

Irish Boy Active Member

I exercise my right to use this here like button. Good stuff to every one involved !

• Like Like x 2
  6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

We, OK GreyWing, is just trundling through the settings to tweak the forum over the coming days to get it as "user friendly" and "normal" as possible.

Apart from the fact my avatar's gone a bit wierdy and I need to get it sorted sooner or later, I'm pretty chuffed with the ease in which you can navigate around the site - I think it's a lot better than the last two forum software packages. Time will tell, but we're just trying to increase members online.

The acid test is usually on a Monday evening 17:00 to 19:00, I'll be rather pleased if we manage to get over 35 registered users online simultaneously, as that is the peak so far on the RN website. On the forum prior to the move to the RN site we were peaking at 225 online simultaneously and averaged 2,500 visitors every 24 hours - we've got a long way to go, so links on social media and plugs are very much appreciated so as we move up the Google search results when people look for PRMC, PRMC Forum, Royal Marines, etc.

7. OSTV

OSTV Venerated Contributor

App Stage:
    TMU
    Is there anyway of know whos online or will this be sorted in time?

8. DhobiWanKenobi

DhobiWanKenobi Royal Marines Commando

It shows the online members on the right side of the home page.

9. OSTV

App Stage:
    TMU
    Sorry, didn't explain, I meant like underneath our names?

Rhys

10. DhobiWanKenobi

DhobiWanKenobi Royal Marines Commando

Oh got you, I see what you mean.

11. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

Ninja, have you noticed any changes of any sort at the AFCO since the old site closed down and what if anything is the recruiting effect of this site in general?

12. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

There seemed to be less RM candidates aware there was a forum, but as the original site has only been offline about 5 weeks it would be difficult to measure meaningfully. The RN site, to my mind, is woefully short or detail for RM's compared to the old RM website in which the original forum was located. There's little doubt that people found the old forum useful as it allows a two-way flow of info.
    When the original RN website was hacked a few years back, the Facebook RN & RM Recruitment pages were launched and as the forum was down, the powers that be thought it was hugely successful, even though the format seems to largely appeal to those too young to apply. Facebook is run by a contracted civilian company and can only answer basic eligibility queries, over and over and over again.
    The forum works but the level of support shown suggests otherwise. With regard the effectiveness of the forum, my colleagues advise over 50% of candidates state they use it to gain info & find it useful. That said, it's never been officially endorsed and there will always be those who view it with suspicion in recruitment as it wasn't available when they joined themselves and management get twitchy when someone uses their initiative and they don't have editorial control to micro manage.

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Assume you mean a 'green light' or online/offline message by the username? We'll look into that one.

14. OSTV

App Stage:
    TMU
    Yup

Rhys

15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

One feature that I do find rather good is the PM function that makes it easy to discuss issues with several users simultaneously, particularly good for training partners.

16. DlllonJ

DlllonJ Valuable Contributor

Here's something which may not have been picked up and needs adressing as well, the login bar should be automatically displayed on unlogged in visits rather than having to click it to drop down. Just an idea to make the site more "user friendly".

17. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

What's the general consensus on this one? The only thing with a permanent username/password log-in panel is it takes up space on the page. Conversely, as you state it may help first time visitors to register.

18. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

Might be easier to just change the words on the button + button bit bigger to "Sign Up / Login Now" rather than just "Sign Up Now", the button does the same thing for both.

19. Old Man

Old Man Ex-Matelot

Ambivalent.

Many members will be automatically logged in when visiting and if they aren't will know they need to in order to see everything/post. I log in at each visit and it's caused me no problems.

First time visitors will be mostly readers until moved to partake, and I suggest most will be aware of the need to register/log on, as it's the same for any website that invites input.

• Like Like x 2
  20. dbar8886

dbar8886 Valuable Contributor

So far everything seems to really easy to use, Since its 'been' ive been using it just like the old one, so whatever tweaks you've made have done the trick,
    If this is how its going to be I'm very happy to use it as it is, fact is : It works.