Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Will the forum get the same skin/layout as the original?

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by DlllonJ, Apr 19, 2013.

1. DlllonJ

DlllonJ Member

I never realised their was a 'stay logged in feature', so this resolves my 'issue'.

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Have to say, the 15 minute automatic log-out on the official site was the last straw for me.

Very often, when replying to a query I have to find and quote reference sources, copy links etc, all of which takes time.

When this issue was raised, came back the answer, from our IT experts: Well create it as a Word document, so you can scan it for viruses and spell check.

Yep, we all do that don't we?

3. ChocolateMum

ChocolateMum Parent

So happy to see a 'user friendly' site back! Well done to all involved, and thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rover

Rover Moderator

Welcome back, again.:)

Rover

5. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

Cheers Rover, 100% won't be going offline again.

6. Nutty

Nutty Former RM - 9 Years

Good to see you back, sadly with one familiar face missing though.

7. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

I think we are all hoping sense will prevail. They ultimately still have the option.

8. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

Good to see you back again. Common sense seems to have prevailed......to some extent anyway.

Alan

9. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

I don't think they ever ordered us offline mate, it was more that is seemed to be causing problems for individuals. So I took it offline until it was sorted, unfortunately it wasn't showing any signs of movement so it was my decision (Not Ninja's) to put it back online and Ninja said he would have to step down if that happened, at least until he got permission to come back.

Everyone is sad at what has happened, but at least if the site is online then people can get to their private messages and view old posts. Even if nothing new is posted, it is still in a better decision than being offline in my opinion.

10. Macca

Macca Active Member

What's been happening? Glad to see the site back up and running, hear Ninja isn't amongst us anymore for the time being?

Hope things get better in the future for this incredibly valuable website

11. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

I'm not 100% sure either mate to be honest. Hopefully as the site picks up again as it hits the search engines over the next few days, the RN will realise that a valuable tool it was to them. What Ninja said wasn't really the main part of this site, his biggest contribution was more what he actually put a stop to being said. He stopped any talk about people giving medical advice on the forum, per-sec issues, filtered news stories and threads that covered the RM legal issues.

All that is gone, I'm trying to bite my tongue over it so as not to back some decision maker into a corner. I'm hoping by putting the site live again, someone may just realise in the RN that as they search for the person with the off-switch, they realise it isn't within their ability to turn this site off. I'm still under the illusion (I'm told different) that they think this site and domain name belongs to someone in the the RN, it doesn't. When they realise that, they may realise it is better to send someone over here rather than nobody.

12. Macca

Macca Active Member

Is crazy really, in an ideal world you'd expected them to realise pretty quickly just how valuable this site is having pumped out great information for potentials over the years, including the social side of things for thousands and thousands of like minded people seeking similar if not the same paths in life. I do hope your right Greywing.

I only discovered that the site had re-opened after reading through the onceamarinealwaysamarine site. Saying that I'm sure many will venture back out of curiosity to see if its re-opened, I've got this site set as an app on my iPad and I clicked on it every few days to see if anything had progressed. Any way of sending out notification to existing members at all? I'll be informing via Facebook those I know who used the site often that's for sure.

Appreciate all your efforts though Greywing, doing a fine job of which everyone will be great full of that's for sure

13. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

Cheers for letting people know mate, Ninja's best chance of it being allowed back on is for this place to be a success.

It only went back live at about 13:00 today, and a good few people have found it, so hopefully that will increase significantly in the coming weeks. I'm going to take a look at the mods situation as well, I'm not 100% sure how many are here or who we have but could be an issue when the traffic increases.

14. Macca

Macca Active Member

Yeh I'd like to think the site will only get stronger, I feel pretty confident it will

Well if your struggling for Mods at any point and need extra hands then I'll happily help if needs be, I don't know how you go about taking on Mods but the offer is there if I'm deemed suitable *text deleted* been here since the formation of the site years ago and helped me no end so haven't a problem giving some back ect

15. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

Cheers for the offer mate, I'll get something sorted over the next few days. At the minute I don't really know who is doing what and having been away for the last few years, I may have never actually spoke to them, they may not know me from Adam.

16. Irish Boy

Irish Boy New Member

It lives once more ;) Hopefully people will start to drop by again. Could i put up a post to say its up on the official site or just leave it to word of mouth ?

17. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

All I would say is that if you found a forum somewhere else that was helping your friends and future oppo's achieve their goals, I would not have a problem with you posting that here.

But as I have nothing to do with the other forum, I can not give you any guidance ;)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Topgun

Topgun Member

Good effort GreyWing.
    We all appreciate what you are doing and the massive personal effort, that you are putting into this site.

I am sure the RN "Top Dogs" will eventually see the light!

For us parents of (Royals / Nods) and (would-be Nods) the valuable info., we all get from this forum is critical (and it is easy to use).
    Also, it makes us feel part of the Corps family.

Also Ninja shall no doubt, return - we miss the "old bugger".

God Bless you

Topgun

19. GreyWing

GreyWing Nobody

Many thanks for that Topgun, it should start to pick up now, maybe a week or two before it gets indexed in Google and Bing and then it should start to grow again. The ideal goal is to beat the Royal Navy in Google when someone types in "Royal Marines". With this domain name it could genuinely happen too.

It is currently 18th according to my stats, would expect to see top 5 by the end of this month. Then maybe they can't ignore the fact they should send Ninja back.

20. Kiddeh

Kiddeh Royal Marines Commando

an unofficial site... does that mean no more bloody red cards for stupid things like... say... hmmm... light self deprecation through the form of racism?