Will this be a problem for me?

gibbo

Reaction score
I went to the doctor recently and he said i had a slight lack of iron in my body and a slightly low blood count, would this mean i would fail my medical?

thanks

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The medical examiner will advise, However you will probably not be passed fit until free from any medication & the cause of your anaemia is established.

In most cases it doesn't significantly delay an application if the cause is dietary.

Booker

Reaction score
I went to the doctor recently and he said i had a slight lack of iron in my body and a slightly low blood count, would this mean i would fail my medical?

thanks

Depends how much you want it. It sounds exactly what I have, a lack of iron or iron deficiency whatever they call it. It most likely will be a form of hemophilia, be it A, B or C and that is a bar from entering ANY ARM in ANY JOB of the forces being it Army, Navy or RAF.

If they haven't medically declared that you have it you may be able to get in to the forces and not go back for a secondary blood test to confirm the doctors suspicions, however medically this is not advised.

If however the situation occurred that you get diagnosed with it during RT then I should imagine you will get MD, but I'm not sure what will happen should you pass out and then it come out.

I wish I had never had the follow up test, it had never effected me in anything I had ever done (football, boxing, rugby etc.) and also through operations that I had where bleeding was inevitable. It had and most probley will never effect me but it has *text deleted**text deleted*ed up my dream of joining the forces. End of the day it is your choice, it is your life, medically you should go for it to make sure, but if I were you I'd body swerve it, like I wish I had.

Best of luck whatever you choose.

NDC_OSPREY

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Eat lots of red meat! build your iron up which is what creates and sustains heamooglobin, and as such you will make more red blood to cope.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
It possibly would be rather unwise not to further investigate a known blood disorder and be far wiser to let a professional positively identify the cause & get it treated if necessary. The health & well being of the individual ranks far higher in importance than being medically suitable for service, even if that were the statistically unlikely case.

To suggest someone may have a comparatively rare blood disorder because some of the symptoms may be similar is probably why it's best left for those qualified to determine rather than hazard a random guess. The poster may simply be a vegan.

In a similar manner, the fact someone has a headache doesn't mean they necessarily have a terminal brain tumour without further tests by a qualified Doctor.

Booker

Reaction score
Locked thread.

"To suggest someone may have a comparatively rare blood disorder because some of the symptoms may be similar is probably why it's best left for those qualified to determine rather than hazard a random guess. The poster may simply be a vegan.

In a similar manner, the fact someone has a headache doesn't mean they necessarily have a terminal brain tumor without further tests by a qualified Doctor."

Considering that he has stated to have EXACTLY what hemophilia consists off then I would say it unwise to surmise that it is anything but. He hasn't stated a symptom, he has stated a fact, he has a low iron count, he has a low blood pressure, hemophilia is having a lack of iron within the blood, it isn't a symptom, it's a fact.

He may be a vegan, but even that wouldn't make a blind bit of difference, he still would be MD'd and that is that.

And you comparison to a headache is a joke right ? A headache again is a symptom, not something that has medically been proven as his low blood pressure has. A headache can be mental, the person can think they have a headache when they don't, whereas you cannot just 'think' that you have an iron deficiency.

And I also never stated anything about not getting it further investigated (just what I would do if I were to go back in time with mine) which in some ways may be wise, but it may cause a barrier that needn't exist, such as in my case. Don't try and belittle me and then lock the thread so I can't justify what I said and why, and for me personally it is a very touchy subject. When you have wanted something for you whole life, done everything that is required to achieve it then have some doctor tell you you have something that will not allow you to do it, then come back and belittle me. Tell then, please don't.

You can lock this, just wanted a chance to express my opinion and point.

Thank you.

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
Depends how much you want it. It sounds exactly what I have, a lack of iron or iron deficiency whatever they call it. It most likely will be a form of hemophilia, be it A, B or C and that is a bar from entering ANY ARM in ANY JOB of the forces being it Army, Navy or RAF.

If they haven't medically declared that you have it you may be able to get in to the forces and not go back for a secondary blood test to confirm the doctors suspicions, however medically this is not advised.

If however the situation occurred that you get diagnosed with it during RT then I should imagine you will get MD, but I'm not sure what will happen should you pass out and then it come out.

I wish I had never had the follow up test, it had never effected me in anything I had ever done (football, boxing, rugby etc.) and also through operations that I had where bleeding was inevitable. It had and most probley will never effect me but it has *text deleted**text deleted*ed up my dream of joining the forces. End of the day it is your choice, it is your life, medically you should go for it to make sure, but if I were you I'd body swerve it, like I wish I had.

Best of luck whatever you choose.

Haemophilia is a condition where the blood does not clot.

A low blood count or iron deficiciency is known as anaemia.

There can be a myriad of reasons why a person may have anaemia, many of which will have no known cause and many of which are not at all serious.

Often a short course of iron tablets rectifies the problem.

However, anaemia may indicate a more serious, underlying problem and this is why it needs further investigation by a doctor.

Many conditions/diseases have similar symptoms. That's why tests are done - to gradually eliminate each condition in turn and eventually diagnose the problem.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The thread was simply locked to avoid yet another tedius argument, however I'll merge the threads and unlock it to let others witness the folly of allowing unqualified medical diagnosis on an internet forum.

Booker

Reaction score
The thread was simply locked to avoid yet another tedius argument, however I'll merge the threads and unlock it to let others witness the folly of allowing unqualified medical diagnosis on an internet forum.

Sorry about the rant earlier, my cousin coming back from basic and telling his stories has brung back all the heartbreak of getting turned away. You right it may be a number of things, I just jumped on the case as that is exactly what I had, sorry again.

I was pissed off at the fact you gave a piss poor comparison in regards to the headache, and the fact that you locked the thread without me having a chance to justify and correct myself. It's all done now anyways.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
I was pissed off at the fact you gave a piss poor comparison in regards to the headache, and the fact that you locked the thread without me having a chance to justify and correct myself. It's all done now anyways.

Fair comment.

My concern was the piss poor assumption that anyone with anaemia must have low blood pressure & consequently "most likely" haemophilia.

The advice is simply leave it to the experts.

cutler05

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
get yourself some multi vitamins with added iron and you will be fine! *text deleted*

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
No problem - the advice is simply to get it checked & rectified.

Most certainly do not jump to any conclusions nor worry unduly.

encn

Reaction score
Absolutely get it checked, it could well just be diet related in which case, some advice, multi-vitamins and Iron supplements (none of which are prescription medication) will be fine.

Could even just have been a temporary condition at the time of the first investigation.

And sorry to the previous poster, not wanting to piss you off (but I do work in a related medical field) but low Iron count (anaemia) often (like 90% of the time) has sweet F.A. to do with Haemophilia. Yes Haemophiliacs often have low Iron levels as a side effect of having a disfunctional clotting pathway, but not everyone who has low iron has Haemophilia.

Sorry but Ninja is right - best to let the experts decide. It may well be nothing, it might even be fine in the second test as Iron levels often fluctuate.