Winter training

Ty

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey boys. So winter is hitting us here in Canada. What kind of runs do you do in the winter. The cold air just knocks me out, so I generally do a slow steady pace for endurance. Anyone else have a lot of trouble running and breathing in the winter. ?. Any idea ??

Lshort1988

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Its alot harder but then thats good training i guess, plus one day you may be training in norway in arctic warfare and it aint getting any warmer for that one :wink:

im just doing normal 3 mile runs and stuff and also sprints on football pitch
today i ran 1.5 miles out in 11.45 so nice and steady but warms everything up then turned around and ran back in 9.30- this is quite good cause by the time youve done the first half your used to the cold and all warmed up ready to push yourself (Note: none of this is by choice its cause i have my prmc in dec so its *text deleted* be cold! *text deleted*)

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Its acctualy harder in the summer, the heat exhorsts you out. More people get put into hunter through summer, when its cold you always get warmer but when its already warm well then you just become fryed egg

C

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Is that a fried egg thats popped in the middle cause i don't like runny eggs :*text deleted*:

State of Mind

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Wel as short sed summer is harder to run in becase the air becomes so much thinner with the heat!

Howeva everyone who is joining RT or doin PRMC MUST run in this whether *text deleted* i swear that all it does in the new yr is rain...take my word for it so theres no escaping the cold, wet, miserable weather!

Also training in different weathers does mentally prepare u...u get stronger and more confident about getting out there in the rain in *text deleted* own time!

Jus think boutthose who look and think "bloody nutter out in this weather"

SoM

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The first time i went for my 1.5milers tester got 9:58 and it felt like somebody was sat on my chest usualy when i do my 4miler which takes about 28mins i feel nackered not like i wana cough my lungs up is this cause of the cold or because im not use to it at such a pace.

Edd

Globe-Trotter

PRMC Passed
Reaction score
Ive just got in from a 3 miler tonight,to be honest the rain doesnt bother me once I get into 'the zone'-*text deleted*.i dont do anyhting different to when its dry apart from lookout for slippy manhole covers etc

Maybe different when im carrying full kit,tired,hungry etc :*text deleted*:

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Theres a few things you cant do in the winter though. For example the place where I do my hill sprints is off road so id just be sliding down the hill instead of try to slowly run down it. Also I do alot of running round a field and you cant really do that *text deleted* of the wet. So the best thting to do which ive been doing is the 3 miler on the road or going to the gym and using the cross trainer, rower ect. Oh and also swimming. Cant beat swimming.
Do you think the rain slows you down? i think it does sometimes.

edd91

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I actually like running in the rain :twisted: , dodgy but hey i do, its the cold the does me in, when running the same distance but when the temp has dropped it feels like im breathing twice as hard, but meh ill get over it. Porbably help me a suppose :D

Skanza

Reaction score
Winter here it gets to around 25 degrees (I'm living in the Middle-east for now)

So running outside isn't too bad.

Should try running at 35-40 degrees guys! Woah!

Went back to the UK this summer and running outside was a charm 15 degrees woah that was lovely.

I'm *text deleted* be swimming a lot thought, as well as fartlek training which I do with rugby.

Rob

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
middle east! where are you living mate? you are British or common wealth?