Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Wish to join Partners and Parents forum

Discussion in 'Introductions & Welcome to the Royal Marines Site' started by greensandals, May 7, 2019.

1. greensandals

greensandals Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    Hi! My boyfriend started training on the 29th and I'd like to be added to the Partners and Parents forum. I'd love to hear from other people going through the same thing, and I think I could find answers to some of my questions there.
    Thank you! :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Seen Seen x 1
  2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

I've added you to the Partner & Parent sub-forum. You should now have sight of it and a link to where you may introduce yourself.

3. greensandals

greensandals Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    Thank you!!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Elljac

Elljac Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Hows he getting on and finding it?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cheezy hammy eggy

Cheezy hammy eggy Member

Welcome to the site,
    Lots of good stuff on here from parents/ partners who have a nod in training or has passed through, you are now at the beginning of a rollercoaster ride that is Recruit Training.
    There is no such thing as a stupid question, chances are, other people are thinking the same thing.
    Lots of experience on this site that has helped us newer members through the highs and lows. :)
    Best of luck to your nod.

• Like Like x 2
  6. greensandals

greensandals Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    Hi! :) He is very tired all the time and it's hard for him, but he knows that it will get better and I'm sure he will love it! It's been his dream since forever and he loves rolling around in mud, haha. What about yours?

7. greensandals

greensandals Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    Thank you!! I think it's amazing how welcoming and helpful people are on this forum. It can get really lonely sometimes, as he is in foundation now and it's nice to hear from other people going through the same thing. :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Cheezy hammy eggy

Cheezy hammy eggy Member

Yes, he will be tired, foundation phase is designed to teach the recruits the basics of admin (ironing/hand washing and accommodation cleaning) with kit musters thrown in for good measure. If your nod gets to grips with admin being squared away, he’ll get more time in his pit (bed) well, two hours max.
    Communication with the outside world will be limited due to the amount of stuff they gave to get through, so don’t get too threaders with him if he doesn’t phone on a regular basis, as access to their phones has to be earned.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  9. Elljac

Elljac Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    I totally agree, I don't think family or friends understand how hard it is just literally sitting waiting for a call :(

• Like Like x 2
  10. Elljac

Elljac Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    My nod is the same, I've had a couple of calls where he's been really low and struggling but on Sunday he called and was really upbeat, they'd been to church in the morning and had a cup of tea and a doughnut plus a really good nights sleep on Saturday had helped immensely.;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  11. greensandals

greensandals Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    I totally understand. We thought that he would have his phone in the evenings, so it was shocking at first, because I hadn't heard from him for 4 days and didn't know for how long we would have to wait. But then I heard from him and he told me what was going on, so I understood I had no reason to be worried or upset. I'm sure he would love to talk if he would be able to. I just want to support him because I can only imagine how hard it is for him.
    He said that after foundation, he will have access to his phone every evening, or at least more often than in foundation. Is that true?:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  12. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

In the early weeks of Recruit Training mobile devices are often confiscated. Not as a punishment but because it makes the lads talk to each other rather than being isolated staring at a screen.

Also, they will be very busy all day. As the weeks pass he will have more time and opportunity to stay in touch.

The sudden stop of mobile comms is often a big shock to Partners and Parents who are used to being constantly in contact.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
  13. Cheezy hammy eggy

Cheezy hammy eggy Member

Yes,
    After foundation he will go into phase 1, he will move into 8 man accommodation as opposed to the 50+ that he’s going through now. Phone access does get better but the phones get collected and locked away at 9pm.
    If they fail to impress the training team during inspections, they get put “On the Flank ” some sort of punishment follows, this includes phones being deprived for the evening.

• Like Like x 2
  14. greensandals

greensandals Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    I'm happy that he was better! My boyfriend had ups and downs as well. On Sunday he was happy about having food at the church, haha. He said that even though they get a lot of food, he's always hungry!

• Like Like x 1
  15. greensandals

greensandals Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    I understand, thank you all so much! :) I'm sure it will get better and we will both get used to it.

• Like Like x 2
  16. GriZZ

GriZZ New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The flank, is a scary place.

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  17. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

I spent so much time on the flank when I was in RT, it became a second home to me! :(

Alan

• Like Like x 3
  18. The guide

The guide Royal Marines Commando

I was quite often on the flank of the flank..:(.grim..!!!

• Like Like x 3
  19. greensandals

greensandals Member

App Stage:
    Partner
    What is the flank more exactly?

20. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando, Moderator

When Troops form up for a parade or inspection they do so in normally two or three ranks. If anyone fails the inspection they are ordered to "get on the flank", which is to the side and away from the other guys.

What normally happens is that those on the flank end up being larger than the original number on parade.

Alan

• Like Like x 4
    • Disagree. Disagree. x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1