Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Withdrawal question

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by Joshusky, Jul 18, 2019.

1. Joshusky

Joshusky New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Hi guys,

I'm currently going through my application for RMR. Right now though I don't think I am ready due to university. I was actually going to wait until after I graduate to apply for the royal marines but we had Royal Marine and Royal Navy information desks set up around my university's student union. I had a talk with them and they advised that instead of waiting I should apply for RMR until I graduate.

Them being the supposed advisors I took their word as gospel as they said that I would be able to work around uni and RMR, so I put my application in and made it to the first pjft. I passed the first bit but started feeling very nauseated on the second part and had to stop.

I would personally feel more comfortable withdrawing, completing uni and training in the gym along side it until I personally feel comfortable to apply again.

I was just wondering, if I withdraw my application now at this point, will I be prohibited from applying again or can I submit another application? I also feel like my careers advisor has something against me and won't be too pleased if I withdraw, is it possible for a careers advisor to ban you from applying again?

Thanks

• Seen Seen x 1
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  2. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

No, you most certainly will not be prohibited from applying again.

Simply contact your careers manager and express your thoughts.

When you are ready apply online for the Regulars and be honest to your CSM that you wish to carry on at university first.

This is not uncommon.

3. Joshusky

Joshusky New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    @Johnny_Anonie Thank you, I think I would be more comfortable withdrawing if I didn't think my careers advisor had a personal vendetta against me. Compared to the army careers advisors I've seen chatting to people in the same AFCO my careers advisor seems a little stern.

I'm just glad I won't be prohibited, because this is something I really want to do but it comes across to my careers advisor as I'm not taking things seriously when in actual fact I just have quite a big workload, though the people at the information desk said that it could be taken at a steadier pace but I got put through the process faster than my buddy who applied for full time Royal Engineers 3 months before I put my application in.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

On the balances of probability, there is no personal vendetta against you.

Bare in mind that Capita is a 3rd party organisation that carries out recruitment on behalf of the MOD. Your CSM is likely to have multiple applications to manage, all at different stages. Chances are you are little more than a number to them.

They do employ a number of ex-service personnel to apparently ensure the appropriate blend of ethos, military knowledge and lifestyle is engrained into the work they do on behalf of the MOD. However it is also highly likely your CSM will have had no military experience prior to this job.

They will not lose any sleep over you withdrawing at this stage. Put yourself first & re apply when you feel ready.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

RMR is very time demanding and considered by many to be incompatible with also studying full time at university. But some do manage to juggle both.

Perhaps consider joining a University Royal Navy Unit or a University Officer Training Corps. Both are tailored to fit in with the demands of full time academia. Neither will be as rigorous as RMR obviously but both will expose you to aspects of service life.

Praise the Lord! Yes, it's probable that the CA might not have matched the effusive bonhomie of someone recruiting members for a university glee club. :) But seriously, the CA with whom you spoke just might be less desperate to recruit than his Army counterparts.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joshusky

Joshusky New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical

The thing is, I wouldn't be half as fussed but the people who came in with information for students in my union were trying to get people to sign up there and then and advised that RMR would be a good option. I told them all my commitments and they said it would be fine and easy to manage. Now I have to go in to see my CA and look daft saying I want to withdraw -banghead-, doesn't really make for a good impression

7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

You won't look daft. It's not your CA's place to make a judgment about your commitments anyway. Only you can do that.

This is what I'd say:

"Thank you for your time and advice. I've reconsidered my probable academic time commitments and decided to withdraw my RMR application until I graduate."

• Like Like x 2
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Funnily enough, some of the sternest critics of RM Commando candidates that I've come across in the Naval Careers Service are former RM Musicians. Go figure.

Either way, no-one is compelled to join the Armed Forces and applicants can withdraw their application whenever suits...and likewise re-apply.

As stated above the URNU is probably the better avenue as they are specifically aimed at students. The RMR is there to augment the trained strength of the regular Royal Marines in an operational capacity - a bit of a conflict of interest when the undergrad's primary objective is to graduate.

If you have an RM Careers Adviser and he's wearing lovats, negat green beret, a good way of finding out whether he is a Commando or not is simply by asking what instrument he played.

Good PJFT training advice, right there ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  9. Steph

Steph New Member

That doesn't sound good, what AFCO? I'll make sure I don't go to that one!

• Seen Seen x 1
  10. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Let’s not start naming AFCO’s folks. The OP’s perception of what he regards as a vendetta could be really quite different than yours.

As I said above- Capita are extremely busy processing large numbers of applications. There is rarely anything personal. They have their own channels available to raise complaints.

Same goes with identifying individual CSM’s- It mustn’t happen.

Thanks.

11. The guide

The guide Royal Marines Commando

@Johnny_Anonie. We really only have FTRS ranks (RN & RM) , who have been Senior rate level in service before they become Careers Advisors...not Capita..The Army unfortunately do sometimes have Capita guys with no service time..but they are decent guys in the main..the one,s i have met and worked with anyway.!!

12. Johnny_Anonie

Johnny_Anonie Moderator

Ahhhh!!

Roger. Cheers mate.

DT was right, you ARE useful to know.

13. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

As ever there's always two sides to every application.

No one is "made to join", they are given options available so they can make an informed choice.

Until recently RMR applicants, upon passing the medical, joined a holding troop and instead of taking a conventional PJFT, underwent a 3 mile road run (BFT), when ready, in lieu of the PJFT. This clearly led to the misconception that it was 'easier' to join the RMR, when in fact the physical entry standards, including the PRMC are now identical.

The other thing to remember, is that from a recruiting perspective, the AFCO has to move applicants forward in the recruiting pipeline. It may well be the case, for some applicants, a series of missed appointments or excuses are delaying an application and the CA is trying to force a decision one way or the other rather than draw out the application timeline unnecessarily.

Recruitment is driven by stats and CTC get the hump if they aren't filling PRMCs but can see dozens of candidates on the system who aren't being moved forward.

14. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I’m going to weigh in with a bit of an unpopular opinion, but this proves to me the RMR attitudes are wrong, and borderline lying to lads that don’t know any better. Playing them with this “best of both worlds” line.

Your education comes first. And primary employment comes first, RMR comes second.
    There’s plenty of opportunities and options available to you while at Uni.

If anything, “advising” you to join the RMR until you graduate is a bit of a waste of your time, and the RMRs time.
    You would be far more beneficial joining a different reserve unit and having a shorter training period, more understanding of employment and with the chance to do more things.

Notnto mention the chance to do UAS, UOTC, as much as I hate those doorknobs with their bad attitudes. But it may be a more viable option for Uni.

Ultimately it’s YOUR career, your time and future. If you don’t want to do it, or don’t feel ready, then pull your application.

As long as you don’t keep applying and withdrawing every 2 seconds.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1