Women/family with marine life

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by tedman, Dec 1, 2018.

1. tedman

tedman New Member

Hi everyone, just began the application process and I must say the forum is a great source of information.
    Just a quick question aimed at those who have already got their green beret really, with regards to life after passing out.

How is life with women and relationships? Do you find it more difficult to meet women given the lifestyle and commitments?

Reason being I'm slightly older, I'd be 26/27 at pass out if I'm successful. I'd like to settle down and maybe start a family not long after 30 and I'm just a bit worried i'll never meet anyone. Seems like everyone my age is already settling down.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

Unless you are so ugly women run away and children spontaneously burst out crying when they see you, most women swoon when they see a bloke with a green beret. Even gingers.

In short, I wouldn't worry too much. They only teach you unarmed combat to fight the women off.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 9
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

We may have had a similar expression of concern just over one year ago from the Captain General of the Royal Marines, HRH Prince Henry, Duke of Sussex, KCVO, ADC. It all appears to have worked out for him despite him being a ginger. :)

But seriously, successfully complete RT and your confidence will soar. Combine this with a very competitive salary and pension package and your relationship eligibility will be greatly enhanced.

Surely one outcome of RT is to ensure at least a sporting chance when playing kiss chase?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

I think the bottom line is Recruit Training, for a couple with little experience of separation, is going to be stressful.

For those who meet their partner after joining, separation comes with the territory and is less of an issue. Once training is complete, the work/life balance is easier to cope with.

Once you get used to being apart in the week, home at weekends and leave periods, with the odd prolonged spell apart, you'll be equally as unhappy as any normal civilian couple. The issue is equal measures of trust and respect. So I'm told.

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1