Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Women In Royal Marine Reserves (inquiry not debate)

Discussion in 'RMR Section and RMR Selection' started by tall12347829, Jan 23, 2019.

1. tall12347829

tall12347829 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hi there, new to this website. I have been training to pass the PRMC in order to join RMR for almost a year now, and I went to request an application and was told women are unable to apply at the moment. I was completely unaware of this as I thought due to the new legislation, women are allowed to apply to all military roles in the UK. The Royal Marines website does not suggest that I cannot join the reserves, nor does the Royal Marines Charity website which states "women will now be able to apply to join infantry and armoured regiments, including the Royal Marines and the Royal Marines Reserve. Given the current recruiting timelines, the first women might commence Royal Marines training in late 2018, but more realistically from January 2019" as an official article from Admiral Sir Philip Jones. When I rang up to ask for an application, and then again to question about me joining, I was told that I am not able to join because I am female, it has taken ages for them to integrate females into the Regular Service so they haven't done it for Reserves yet, and that no woman has passed yet so they don't know how it will go. I know I can't do anything about any of these statements, however I was also told that they have absolutely no timescale in which I will be able to join as a Reservist, and they were sorry but they could not give me anymore information on it than that they had already given. Does anyone have anymore information on this as I am really upset that I cannot join and am finding no consolation in having not much understanding of why and when I will be able to?

• Like Like x 1
  2. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

ThreadpigeonsAlpha Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Basically, no one knows how it should going to work. And although on paper all roles are open, the legislation, the policies and procedures and indeed the infrastructure isn’t there yet.

The Commando Training Centre is still undergoing construction to add female facilities. And as such RMR units don’t have facilities yet.

It will have to be a case of sit tight and wait for now.

There is a lot of uncertainties, and a lot of information and data they don’t know (or just ignore) about the physiological and biological effects in the female body it will have.
    There are women who have completed the 9 week All Arms Commando Course (they serve within the Army/RAF/Navy and attempt the course for their trade).

The honest truth is that it was a rushed political decision rather than one taken with consideration.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Polo

Polo Member

Welcome to the forum.

Why did you ring up and what number did you ring? You are meant to register your interest on the royalnavy.mod.uk website, then they send you a link to complete the application online, the AFCO then gets in touch to start the process.

The RMR usually only have one recruit troop a year but there is nothing stopping you submitting an application and taking the test, medical and interview now - much better to get that out the way only to wait ages then fail something. Go for it and good luck!

4. tall12347829

tall12347829 New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    The number I rang was the one emailed me to get an application after I registered my interest. I am not able to submit an application for the reserves, only the regular service.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  5. Polo

Polo Member

I'm surprised they will not let you take the test and medical. Maybe @Ninja_Stoker or @CHUB! can give you some advice?

That sounds ridiculous - I would just apply as a regular, get all your selection done then say "I want to switch to the Reserves, what are you going to do about it?"

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  6. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I am sure the AFCO will appreciate being messed around like that..

• Like Like x 5
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  7. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

It's of little comfort but you've probably already been given the definitive answer: nobody has a clear idea of the time frame.
    As referenced by @ThreadpigeonsAlpha its likely that the Regular RT will be the model on which the RMR will base its own RT.

The first female candidates are already attending Regular PRMC. Hopefully the forum will soon benefit from hearing of their experiences first hand.

One option in the meantime is to perhaps consider another service's Reserve Force which currently does accept females. If you clearly express that your goal is to join the RMR it's likely that you will be given one of two answers:

1. We don't want to invest training resources in someone who might leave when a better offer comes along.
    or
    2. Get stuck in with us. You might decide that we are what you're looking for.

If you are given the second answer you will have shown integrity and could not be accused of being dishonest about your intentions to join the RMR when possible.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

A very warm welcome to the PRMC Forum, we hope you find it both welcoming and informative.

I am advised that you should get in touch with your local AFCO directly because the Implementation Order states Women may formally apply to join the RMR with effect from 01 January 2019.

Females will commence pre-PRMCR training with effect from 01 Sept 2019

The first females will commence RMR Recruit Training with effect from 01 April 2020.

Crack-on & Best of luck! :)

• Like Like x 2
  9. ThreadpigeonsAlpha

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Pre-PRMCR..... that will help the lads and lasses that are struggling... oh wait...

• Like Like x 4
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
    • Nailed It Nailed It x 1
  10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Interestingly, I referred the query to the relevant SMEs who advised the above....snag is it seems the information was not widely known about. The PRMC(R) training, so far as I'm aware is simply another name for Holding Troop.

Other interesting thing for RMR applicants; They will in future complete their PRMC(R)s at CTC ...all of them apparently.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

@tall12347829, since posing the query and hopefully getting the response desired, I note that a directive has gone out to the recruiting field force to move forward with female applications - have you been in contact with your AFCO?