Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Wondering how long until I can apply

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by dudley21, Jan 18, 2020.

1. dudley21

dudley21 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Hello Lads

Just spent my whole Saturday in A&E after some guy took exception to me on the football pitch (I still have no idea why haha). Well anyway I’ve got a broken nose and a fractured eye socket.

Ive read somewhere about it being 1 year for long bone breaks but what is the wait for me being able to apply with the above injuries.

Thanks for any replies

2. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

@dudley21 You will fall into this area of the Joint Service Publication - (the rule book) 950 , google if if you wish to - you are pre-entry in the book as they are differing rules - but this one applies to your case:

14.Previous traumatic fracture without surgical fixation. For those with normal function and with no deformity, a period of at least 12months must have elapsed since the fracture before selection due to remodelling following fracture which often takes up to 12 months. In cases of doubt consult the single-ServiceOccupational Physicians responsible for the selection of recruits.

So in answer 12 months - from date of the injury , but they will certainly ask for details of this at the medical stage, so be ready to be made Unfit for a temporary basis for these injuries.

3. DeesMum

DeesMum Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Get copies of all paperwork going forward as they'll ask for it once you fill in your medical form. If you don't have it, you'll probably get TMU'd for a while till they get all the info. My son had his interview on the 4th of November and has only just got off TMU to get a face to face medical appointment.

4. stumpylegs

stumpylegs Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    unless they asked about your GP, your name, address, shouldn’t be on your medical history, I started RT 6 weeks after breaking my rib and wasn’t asked anything in A&E.
    And if it’s not on your medical history as long as you don’t bring it up you won’t have to wait a year ;)

• Disagree. Disagree. x 3
  5. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Fractures to the face will certainly be recorded on medical records if hospital attendance was required.

Non-disclosure of a medical issue is not a good idea. Discovery of such a non-disclosure (and it will be discovered) can result in medical discharge from Recruit Training.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
  6. The guide

The guide Ex RAF, Ex Royal Marines, now RN.! go figure

@dudley21 @stumpylegs
    Plan wrong and terrible advice that should never be given.!:mad:, - This is how you will get discharged if the info does come to light, and with a fractured eye socket the outcome if further damaged caused in training could be severe for the individual (i.e his eyesight / facial construction)..you are told this quite clearly post-interview and you also sign as such on the post-interview caution forms so would be committing fraudulent entry into HM Forces.-banghead-

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 3
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  7. dudley21

dudley21 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Yeah I think it’s fair to say I’m don’t want a medical discharge and would never rush into RT with an undisclosed facial fracture/broken nose.

However I think it’s a virtual certainty it’s on my record as the break in the nose required minor surgery in a&e. Cheers for the sensible advice

• Like Like x 2
  8. DeesMum

App Stage:
    Parent
    Also, get well soon.

9. dudley21

dudley21 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks. Some geezer just threw a haymaker my way because I tried to muscle him off the ball.

Most hacked off because NHS says rest for two weeks because of concussion :(

10. DeesMum

App Stage:
    Parent
    My son got punched in the face at slipknot last night but luckily the guy that punched him did no damage. I'm keeping my fingers crossed he doesn't get damaged before he gets in.

11. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. It's important that you heed the advice you were given. If you were also given a leaflet about your injury by A&E staff ensure that you read it.

Concussion is a head injury. Secondary concussion can have very serious consequences.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  12. dudley21

dudley21 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

Good luck to your son then

• Like Like x 1
  13. dudley21

dudley21 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for the advice. Frustrated to have to take time out as I felt I was progressing really well but it is what it is. I’m in no rush and understand trying to train through this would have potentially serious consequences.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Risks associated with secondary concussion are now better understood. As an example, the son of a P&P forum user here suffered a concussion and was withdrawn from mainstream RT for several weeks as a consequence.
    @The guide or @Johnny_Anonie might comment further.

15. Cheezy hammy eggy

Cheezy hammy eggy Valuable Contributor

Spot on advice on here.
    My youngest son who is applying to join the RM next year plays Rugby at a good standard, he suffered a concussion last year and had to go through RFU/RFL concussion protocols ( he plays both codes) which involve visits to GP’s and various head tests, this is usually followed by a period of rest away from sporting activities. Any head injury which is not disclosed or dealt with in the correct way is pure folly both career and health wise.
    If disclosing injuries delays application to join HM forces, so be it, it’s better to be safe than sorry!

• Like Like x 1