Work experience

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by SarriesFan, Sep 11, 2017.

1. SarriesFan

SarriesFan New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    So I've just started my L3 Extended Btec in public services at college and one of their rules is that I must do at least 40 hours work experience per academic year in a job relating to my studies. Does anyone know if the marines offer work experience for students?

2. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Your tutors will arrange something whereby it's all covered.

I finished this course in May and we got to be "casualties" for a joint police/fire/ambulance exercise and a RM Look at Life course

3. SarriesFan

SarriesFan New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks for the reply and if that's the case I'll just wait until the tutors say something. Did you enjoy the course? Also how much coursework is involved?

4. Hyperhippo

Hyperhippo Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I'll PM you

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Best bet is to ask your tutor to contact your local AFCO to see if your course can go on a week long Look at Life course at CTC. Generally they're aimed at groups of students rather than individuals.

6. JWJ

JWJ Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    I'm doing a Level 3 Ext. Diploma in Public Services, just entering year 2 of said course
    In the single year I've done it, they've sent me on over 150 hours of work experience, mainly with the Military.

Atleast two residential trips that were a week long, one to the Infantry at Longmoor, and the same RM look at life as Hippo. Three acquaint day style things with the RM, similar activities with the Army. Countless other trips and experiences that have been organised and integrated with the award.

I'll have the opportunity to do a similar number and amount this year aswell.

It all depends on your tutors, mine are 1 ex RM OR who corps-commissioned and came out as a Major, 1 regular turned reserve PTI, and several police. They go out of their way to make it as good as it can be - for example 7 hour drives to CTC!

Alternatively, you can contact an RAF Station commander to enquire about work experience, they're very fun

7. SarriesFan

SarriesFan New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I see, are they groups of random students? I ask this because there aren't many in my course that want to join the marines, in fact I think I'm the only one so that would be more convenient.

8. SarriesFan

SarriesFan New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Bloody hell, they offer a lot, unfortunately we don't have a tutor who's ex military although we do have one fella that was in TSG.

9. Jaguar2187

Jaguar2187 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    SarriesFan, I was able to attend an RM officers look at life course on my own, I just spoke to the AFCO and they were able to book me onto one. Everyone else on the course had also booked individually. As far as I'm aware, groups of college students don't do the officer's course, its just for individuals.
    Hope this answers your question?

10. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

I'll throw something into the mix for consideration:

Individuals not currently contemplating a Royal Marines career no doubt benefit from attending a 'Look at Life' course. Equally, someone aspiring to join the Royal Marines would benefit from attending another service's 'Look at Life' course. It's about broadening one's horizons.

Perhaps be proactive and 'sell' the idea to your tutor team? Best of luck.

11. JWJ

JWJ Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    I know of two friends who expressed little interest in joining the RM, following a look at life they've both submitted their apps and are smashing the phys.

People will still put their hand up when offered a trip, if not they may be talked into it.

12. SarriesFan

SarriesFan New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I see your point and I agree with you on that although it seems that its us to up to find what we want to do (asked my tutor directly), however they are sending us on a weeks residential with the army.

13. SarriesFan

SarriesFan New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Just wanted to say thanks for all the feedback, I'll be going to the AFCO to book myself on a course as soon as my shoulder heals.

• Like Like x 1