Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Work experience

Discussion in 'Training Plans and Diet Suggestions' started by AverageJoe, Oct 14, 2019.

1. AverageJoe

AverageJoe Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    I am 15 and have work experience coming up soon. I want to do something that would relate to life in the armed forces. Any suggestions?

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Ask your careers teacher to contact your local AFCO to enquire about a Royal Marines Look at Life Course.

They are allocated by region for groups of students from local schools and colleges, males & females, usually offering around 12 places per group. They generally don't permit single students as teaching staff have to accompany their students on this residential course.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. AverageJoe

AverageJoe Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks very much I will look into it.

4. AverageJoe

AverageJoe Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Sorry if this reply is too late but I called the AFCO and they said I can't do the look at life course for my year ten work experience. Is there anything else that the armed forces offer for work experience?

5. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

The Army also conduct Look at Life courses and as they are a significantly larger organisation & more widespread, you are more likely to get a place on a course & quite possibly closer to home. The fact you wish to join the Royal Marines, there's no reason not to look at all options & you are not obligated to sign-up for anything.

6. DeesMum

DeesMum Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    There's an army one. My son is booked onto one in January (arranged before he started his marine application). It's a week long residential course. If you google army work experience you should find the details. Only problem is, your school has to deal with all the paperwork.

7. AverageJoe

AverageJoe Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Thanks I'll call the AFCO and find out about it

8. DeesMum

DeesMum Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    The AFCO might not be able to do anything about it. Speak to your pupil support teacher or a member of your year team and they should be able to sort something.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Just to add to the sound advice from @DeesMum you might need to be proactive. Research what is available and 'sell' the idea to your school.

Others in your year who are not actively considering a service career might be interested in participating in an Army work experience plan. It will be structured and will tick all the required risk assessment boxes. Best of luck.

• Like Like x 1