work experience

elliott16

Reaction score
in february my whole year is going on work experience for a week, my school has booked 10 places for an army placement but it doesnt look all that good. i was just wondering if the marines offer work experience placements? im looking to be an RM officer, so if anyone knows of any officer orientated work experience either in the army or marines it would be great.

thanks

HHHNNN

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
my schools doing the exact same thing and im booked on the army one.......not sure about marines though......the army one looks fun though....live firing,assault courses ect

elliott16

Reaction score
yeah i think i will do it, just get a taster. but would be great to get a marines based one

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
The Royal Marines do run Look at Life courses in the Commando Training Centre. Your school/college careers teacher needs to speak to your local AFCO with regard group bookings- ideally a few months in advance as there are few courses (the Army is a much bigger organisation) & they are usually heavily oversubscribed.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I have completed a look at life course! It was an excellent insight into life in the Royal Marines, you get to do loads of amazing things! We did the endurance course a session on bottom field, take you marching around the camp, talk to new recruits and lots of other things.
Also we did a mini prmc sort of thing doing all the tests bar the determination test and gym test 2, so now i think i have quite an advantage!

elliott16

Reaction score
thanks for the help, hopefully someone will pick up the phone next time i ring them.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
thanks for the help, hopefully someone will pick up the phone next time i ring them.

Unless you are a teacher/lecturer requesting a group booking, then it's unlikely the AFCO would be prepared to book a Look at Life course for an individual as the courses are few & far between- hence the need for group bookings to justify the cost.

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
How often are these courses run then?
Sounds pretty good. And how many is considered a group?

johnyt008

Reaction score
I did the look at life course but *text deleted* no how often they run threw the year
Its amazing though
Endurance course is a beast!!
And the guy who was runnin mine, holds the assult course record!

elliott16

Reaction score
ive got onto the look at life course today, had to get written consent from my subject teachers and parents for the school to let me go, but shud be worth it. i was shocked when the guy said all i had to do was get to the airport and theyd sort everything else! if you want to do it there are only 2 places left (from when i phoned earlier today).

are there many people going from here?

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm 15, 16 in Janurary.. want to do this with the school
How?
*text deleted*

elliott16

Reaction score
go to www.royal-navy.mod.uk, careers, then visit your local careers office, and there should be a list of cities. find your nearest and give them a ring between 8.30 and 4.30 and they will help you. the course im doing and i think the only one till next year is being held at lympstone from the 17th to the 21st of novemeber. they will pay for all transport, food and accomadation. i dont know if your too young but there are only 2 places left so be quick. talk to your school and parents because it is a whole week out.

Chicogiz

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Im going 5th november with my school, 10 of us.

shady

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I am going for the marines look at life course on Monday but i can't use it as my work experience. So now i have no idea what to do.

v3locity

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Seriously guys i couldnt recommend this course enough! It is an excellent insight into what you will be going through, obviously its not the same but it is still quite hard! You get to do quite a few cool things!

Also gives a good insight into PRMC which will help massively! Obviously if you have been down there before and know what its all about you wont be as nervous!

diego alva

Reaction score
hi

hi iam just woundering how you organise the work placement for a week ??
anybody know?

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
ive got onto the look at life course today, had to get written consent from my subject teachers and parents for the school to let me go, but shud be worth it. i was shocked when the guy said all i had to do was get to the airport and theyd sort everything else! if you want to do it there are only 2 places left (from when i phoned earlier today).

are there many people going from here?

Excellent news- it's good to see that your AFCO were prepared to take on an individual booking to help fill the course.

Hope you enjoy it - it's definitely worth taking the opportunity.