Working through the pain

dbar8886

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hey lads, i was just thinking about the training pain we all endure to push ourselves, wondering what mental strength you summon to get through it, i sometimes do counting exercises, or on every exhale go through the phonetic alphabet, or just think about the green beret *text deleted**. sometimes though i admit it doesnt work depending on my mood or what kinda day im having and it all falls apart. Anyone else struggle with the mental side sometimes?
Yesterday smashed my 1.5 miler and the return, really chuffed as it was totally the mental strength that took me through.

jm745

Loafing Member
Reaction score
I picture where I want to be, women throwing themselves all over me, and my doubters eating their words (not literally).

Though I do have days where I struggle, think it's all pointless and I'm not getting anywhere. I think we all have doubts, especially in ourselves, but as long as you get back on it after it's fine, don't let doubting be your master and all that.

MacheteMeetsBiscuit

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I think of what 'Mack' from Future Weapons says in his motivational self-help book (well worth a read):

A man can only be beaten in two ways, if he quits or if he dies.
For everyday use, think "Not Dead, Can't Quit"

Assuming you don't want to die, or be defeated, I think his words are quite helpful.

Luke0212

Reaction score
Sometimes on a run I will sing a song in my head over and over ('Almost Easy' - Avenged Sevenfold usually). Thinking about how much harder the 30 miler will be helps me push harder on my 3 mile return. On my PJFT I thought about how rubbish I would feel to tell the missus/family/mates that I had failed.

Things like press ups, sit ups, pull ups, I count backwards or just count up in 5's - quite good for helping to forget what number you're on or if you're nearing a 'sticking point'.

Sometimes they work, other times they don't guess it depends what sort of a day I'm having...

Macky

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Always tell myself that " pain is temporary and the Green Beret will be forever", keeps me going :push:

L. Spradbury

Reaction score
I think with me I hate failing, so when I train I think about how I would tell people and how I would feel if I didn't achieve what I set out to achieve, the feeling of telling someone that you didn't finish something is horrible but telling them you have achieved something feels bloody brilliant! But seriously it all depends on how much you want something, just keep thinking of that green lid and what it would feel to deserve to wear one.

Red Bull

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Every time it hurts I look at the guy in front and think "the gren berets infront of him". It works.

In the wise words of the royal marines - it is only pain ;)