Worried about not being allowed in...

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I was perscribed an inhaler a year or so ago when i had trouble breathing due to a chest infection, it was only the blue steroids one to ease the pain not the one you have to take morning and night or whatever and i am totally recovered now....will i be ok?? i read it says if you have had anything to do with your lungs in the pass 4 years you can fail it?? cant i get a doctor to run a test on me and write a note saying that im fine? How do they find out this information in the first place?

please help, very concerned.

JimB

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If by 'they' you mean the forces, i'm guessing they'll only find out if you tell them, or something happens during the PRMC etc.

If you get a doctors all clear i can't see any reason why it should be a problem.

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
cool, hopefully there wouldnt be any record of it anyway, i had to go down and wait 5 hours at a hospital to get one as i dont have a proper doctor.

Old Man

Ex-Matelot
Reaction score
From my reading of the medical requirements, being prescribed an inhaler for a chest infection should not necessarily be a bar to entry.

This of course is only my opinion and carries no weight. Only the doctor at your medical can give you a definitive answer.

The bar is for symptoms or treatment of asthma within the last 4 years.

I don't think it's wise to not inform them.

When they review your medical notes, you will have been seen to lie and that can disbar you from entry or get you discharged if already in training.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
cool, hopefully there wouldnt be any record of it anyway, i had to go down and wait 5 hours at a hospital to get one as i dont have a proper doctor.

Possibly not posting your real name as a username would doubtless aid your anonimity if you elect to withhold information about a known medical condition.

As correctly stated, if a known but undeclared medical condition arises during training you will be discharged- best bet is be truthful, declare it & if need be they will run checks to ensure you don't have asthma. If you do have asthma there's no way on earth you will complete Commando training.

It's accepted that quite often a GP will prescribe an inhaler just to "be on the safe side" & often the individual does not have asthma.

Tragically people die of asthma and the rules are there to protect the individual, so honesty is the safest bet.

Incidentally, by typing the word "asthma" in the search box in the toolbar above, there are 3 pages of thread titles on the subject, here's a few:

http://www.prmc.co.uk/general-royal-marines-joining-chit-chat/3713-asthma.html

http://www.prmc.co.uk/general-royal-marines-joining-chit-chat/4836-asthma.html

http://www.prmc.co.uk/welcome-prmc-site/3135-asthma.html

http://www.prmc.co.uk/general-royal-marines-joining-chit-chat/1562-asthma.html

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks ninja, jim87spencer isnt my real name, its the name of an ancient roman sex god.

You're probably right though, if im just honest about it and there's nothing wrong with me then i shouldnt have anything to worry about...

unless of course i get down to the AFCO and i have an interview with a Mr, N. Stoker.

WrapJuice

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
that name doesn't sounds like an ancient roman sex gods name to me!

Maybe Joeus spencerus

S

Sotiris

Having some form of document claiming you don't have asthma will speed things up. If the medical examiner is at all suspicious he'll either fail you or more likely, ask you to monitor your peak flow for 4 weeks.

This is a pain in the arse.

Go to your GP now, ask him to prescribe you a peak flow meter and carry out your own testing. Go back to your GP after about 2 weeks and he'll write a letter based on the results of your peak flow.

With a GP's signature and stamp in hand it will not only speed things up in your medical, but also safe guard you from any suspicion.

Chicogiz

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Having some form of document claiming you don't have asthma will speed things up. If the medical examiner is at all suspicious he'll either fail you or more likely, ask you to monitor your peak flow for 4 weeks.

This is a pain in the arse.

Go to your GP now, ask him to prescribe you a peak flow meter and carry out your own testing. Go back to your GP after about 2 weeks and he'll write a letter based on the results of your peak flow.

With a GP's signature and stamp in hand it will not only speed things up in your medical, but also safe guard you from any suspicion.

I guess i should take note of this aswell.

jim87spencer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
cool, thanks alot for the advice, when i've moved i'll get a GP sorted out and have him do that for me, its probably good advice for anyone wanting to speed up their application really.