Worried mum

Joshlew11

Reaction score
Hi all, my name is Sophie and my 17 year old son started ROP on Monday 4th Jan. Spoke with him very briefly last night. Are there any other worried parents to the young lads here?! Would be nice to chat.

Duality

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
All parents worry. The lack of contact initially is hard but totally necessary. Hope your boy has a good first week.

Grimey Arches

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Your lad only has access to his phone before and after the working day depending on the TT, gets given in at 6am till when they decide to give it back.

Rob20

Royal Marines Commando Moderator
Reaction score
Your lad only has access to his phone before and after the working day depending on the TT, gets given in at 6am till when they decide to give it back.

Not sure that's entirely accurate, unless based on your personal experience.

Early training is a huge shock and there is so much to take in and learn aswell as monumental amounts of admin every night. My phone was never taken away however we were only given 30 minute slot to use it in foundation. The main reason you wont hear is the fact that they're so busy. This improves throughout training as their personal admin improves. I'm sure you'll hear alot more from him at the weekends though when he has some free time

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
One thing I would add to the above is young recruits with limited comms tend to vent all their frustrations and woes on their parents, so brace for impact on that score. To achieve success, the one thing that can tip the balance is encouraging a person at low ebb to quit.

MotherBear

Reaction score
Hi all, my name is Sophie and my 17 year old son started ROP on Monday 4th Jan. Spoke with him very briefly last night. Are there any other worried parents to the young lads here?! Would be nice to chat.
I’ve messaged you

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Personal experience but every TT is different.
Spot on. Some teams will allow more latitude early on (until things go awry), others will be stricter initially, based on prior experience.

Every recruit thinks their TT are stricter than anyone else's and the nodvine perpetuates this perception that other troops have it "easier" because another troop was given electric blankets when it got a bit cold, were allowed to use electric bikes instead of walking 30 miles, etc.

The finished product is pretty much the same regardless because the training standards are the same across the board.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MotherBear Worried Mum Parents & Partners 54
E Yet Another Worried Mum Parents & Partners 22
Lipsil Another worried mum Parents & Partners 10