worry

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
hi guys the thing that worries me the most about going to prmc etc... is that because iam 17 the rest of the potentials and recruits e.g. the 20+ and up guys will 'possibly' not definate, leave me out because of my age any one else thinking this? this is what is really mt major worry.

please shed some light,

regards CJ

Mackie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
You have nothing to worry about from what I've heard.

And anyway, there are less guys who are 20+, I think the majority of people at the PRMC are 16-19.

Plummy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
on my prmc we had about 4-5 people which were older then 20 and the rest was 16-20 seriously mate, and why would this bother you? you would still all mix and be friends no matter how young you were thats the good thing about the marines no matter what colour you are or age you all look at each other the same and treat each other the same well i did with everyone on my prmc anyways

caboose

Reaction score
well i was feeling the same way and I'm 20 mate, but after talking to a few people it seems that regardless everyone should get on fine as long as your not an absolute w#/@er or tit as someone else described them.

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
thanks for the replies guys, its just that some places i have been & so on and so forth, people have thought oh he's only 17 just make him do X or Y task but in myself i am a confident person and could do a better task than just X or Y something with a bit of thinking, and not treated like an utter idiot.

i doubt the problem will occur now but for others who may think this, i guess the best way for me to explain is e.g. say you had finished day one and most of the guys go down to NAAFI and you are left alone because they think we'll hang with our own age range, could make you feel a bit inferior.

i mean i doubt this would happen after reading through some stuff. But i have had some military experince and found that people do gel very quickly. But saying that in CIVVIE street this has happened a few times to me. where i have been left out due to my age.

so overall will you be made to be felt left out?

ANSWER: in the Royal Marines NO you will fit in fine, providing as some have said you are not a cocky T*T, but in civvie street its different and Yes you well could be at some stage.

thanks guys, and i hope this helps others that may of thought this once or twice.

regards

CJ

H00L3Y D4N

Reaction score
well im 17...and dont give 2 flying fu*ks about how old everyone else is, i know what u mean tho, its like it at work a bit.

GreyWing

Nobody
Reaction score
The major point about RT is that you have to respect the person next to you, he's been through a PRMC. He deserves to be there because he is competent and proved what he can do, regardless of if he is a plonker or not.

In the real world, unfortunately someone maybe working with you / your boss because his Dad is friends with someone.

That's what makes the Marines different.

Don't worry mate, whatever your age you will get respect.

All the best

GW

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
GreyWing said:
The major point about RT is that you have to respect the person next to you, he's been through a PRMC. He deserves to be there because he is competent and proved what he can do, regardless of if he is a plonker or not.
I fully agree.

All recruits in the same troop are most definitely equal, regardless of age, you're there by ability, nothing else. It isn't like school or college where someone a year older is looked up to & anyone in the years below you are blanked. It isn't like the civilian workplace where the youngster is thought inexperienced- once you pass out, you are senior to the 31 year old recruit who is just starting recruit training, regardless of age.

Sometimes the older recruit has a problem coming to terms with the fact a Corporal maybe 5-10 years younger than them, but they are still in charge, that's for sure.

ste preece

Former RM
Reaction score
To be honest guys, there were many other recruits in my troop during training who were a fair bit older than me. Age never ever came into it.

As far as I am aware, it still doesn't.

Cheers

Steve

alan wilson

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
dont worry mate...as an example...during my army training and on my recent prmc no one gets left out...the only way it happens is if you dont come out of your shell and stay withdrawn...other than that if you can get involved with the banter you will be a part of everything mate.

dont worry

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
thanks guys for your support.

99% of the time get stuck in to everything so i now have no worries over this, the other 1% is sleep mind you i do give sleep a good go so now its 100%.

once again ta.

CJ.

flump1

Reaction score
if like me and everyone else i have spoke too, you will get along relly well with the other people no matter how old they, you are all in the same boat, so that always makes for some good banter.