Would my Eyesight hold me back?

ak256

Reaction score
Hi everybody! :-D

Anyway I've just had my eyes tested and it says my right eye's perfect, but my left eyes not so great; on the form all of the fields are blank except for the 'Sph' which says -1.50

I have absolutely no idea what this means, tried to look around the net but with no look.

What I wanted to know was would this hold me back from any career's in the armed forces like pilot/sniper/special forces?

Cheers again guys!

PRMBenjey1993

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Well on Commando: on the front line, there's a guy who wears glasses..
so I presume you can join as long as your not completely blind *text deleted*.

stewie

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
my eye sight isnt perfect i have to wear glasses. well i have too but dont i dont like wearing them but now my eyes are *text deleted* worse im long sighted in my left eye. i can just bout make out wat im writing if i close my right eye and im bout 1ft away from the screen :worried: not gd really just hope its ok to pass the eye test
chrz stewie

S

Sotiris

Your right is the most important one, if that's the one you use for the sights. If your really want to know what it means just pop into the opticians and ask, simple as that.

Knockton

Reaction score
i have terrible eyesight but passed my eye test at VA3 (low as it gets)
and judging by what it says on my contact lenses, -1.50 is what i've got in my left eye, my good eye, so you'd pass the eye test.

But you need pretty much perfect eyesight for the sniper and pilot specialities, not sure about sf though.

Priar

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
-1.5 will be borderline VA2 to VA3 I believe. That should be more than ok.

You have to be VA1 to be a sniper/SF/Pilot I believe. I.e. your eyesight needs to be the mutts nuts.

Stewie, your eyes sound fooked mate.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
You have to be VA1 to be a sniper/SF/Pilot I believe. I.e. your eyesight needs to be the mutts nuts.

The latest eyesight standards according to Book of Reference 1750A Handbook of Naval Medical Standards, Chapter 5, Article 0512, dated September 2004 (online version), the following standards currently apply.

RM Other Ranks VA III, CP4

Except

Aircrew VA I, CP1
Snipers VA I*, CP3
Landing Craft VA I*text deleted*, CP2
Swimmer Canoeists VA III*text deleted** CP3*

(*Contact lenses not permitted)

RM-Mum

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Hope you don't mind me sticking my nose in, but I often come for a little lurk (I think some of you might be surprised just how many parents do!), and it seems to me that 'Eyesight' is a re-occurring worry amongst many potential recruits.

My own son is as 'blind as a bat' - well not quite, but I'm sure you get the picture! He wears contact lens for everything - not just TV or driving.

Failing his eyetest for the RM, was his biggest fear, before joining, and even once he had his RT date, he refused to get too excited about it. He didn't want to, just in case they failed him on the eyetest you have when you get to CTC.

Throughout RT he wore his lenses, (he has those soft ones that you can sleep in - I forget the proper name), I think he was issued with 'Pussers Specs' (but I don't know if he wore them or not), as well as having his own specs for emergencies.

As I obviously wasn't there throughout RT I can't say for sure how much of a hindrance this might or might not have been. He certainly never said it was and I'm going to presume it wasn't, as he passed out as an 'original'.

And if anyone is wondering about life as a RM with less than perfect eyesight, I can tell you that he took several pairs of lenses and his specs with him to Afghanistan, and that his breathing apparatus has lenses in them to fit his eye prescription.

Finally, yes, his eyesight isn't good enough to be a sniper/swimmer canoeist or a pilot, but they are not the only SQ's available in the RM. I believe there are 20 something and don't forget, there are many, many RM's who DO have perfect sight, that aren't going to end up as snipers etc. Remember, first and foremost you'll be RM's and that's what matters.

I hope I've managed to allay some of your concerns about less than perfect sight, and that I haven't come across as too patronising - going back to lurking now!

Good luck to all of you with your applications.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!

Some really helpful advice- very much appreciated. There are at least three serving RM Mum's on the site and very welcome they are too.

It's probably worth re-emphasising to all how vitally important the support of your family actually is in Recruit Training and beyond- your family are the ones who ride the roller-coaster of ups & downs throughout.

ak256

Reaction score
The latest eyesight standards according to Book of Reference 1750A Handbook of Naval Medical Standards, Chapter 5, Article 0512, dated September 2004 (online version), the following standards currently apply.

RM Other Ranks VA III, CP4

Except

Aircrew VA I, CP1
Snipers VA I*, CP3
Landing Craft VA I*text deleted*, CP2
Swimmer Canoeists VA III*text deleted** CP3*

(*Contact lenses not permitted)

Don't suppose you have a link for this do you? Cheers :-D

Knockton

Reaction score
chuffed that swimmer canoeist is VA3 as that's what i am, and even though im not expecting to pass selection it's good knowing that it's still possible for me to have a crack at it and not get told to sod off because of my crap eyesight