Would you recommend joining at 17 ?

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I'm 16 at the moment and will be 17 in August, i am planning to finish college in June, Train for a couple of months (already go running and go to the gym) and then apply in November.

does this plan sound good???

thanks....

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Hey mate, just thought I'd drop my opinion here. My intention was to join up when I was 16 but some complications arose but now I'm 17 and have my PRMC in 1 month. Nothing springs to mind why you shouldn't join at 17, as quite a few peoplw do. I would reccomend talking it through with whoever you live with, parents etc to see if they will sign your consent forms and to see what they think about the idea in general.

Good luck =)

Ash

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
ye i dont think it matters as long as you ar fit enough im planning on applying around late august im 16 now and in my last few weeks of school i go running sat/sun and biking on week days some days, i also run when ever we have a day of and play football and rugby 2 hours a week, when im at home i do a upper body circuit training and just casual press ups/tricep dips. At the moment im really working on my pressups im kinda poor at them *text deleted* but i got a good few months to improve befor i apply and then will have time wile going through the application progress :flushed:

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks chaps my form tutor at college was a marines and he says the same. if im ready go for it.

and by the way Ashley, 83 push-ups r u human??? *text deleted*

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
ye *text deleted* i noticed that i say i can get about 85+ sit ups on the day but *text deleted* 85 pressups in 2 min :O muscle man!

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks chaps my form tutor at college was a marines and he says the same. if im ready go for it.

and by the way Ashley, 83 push-ups r u human??? *text deleted*
*text deleted*, my excuse is kayaking, been kayaking 7 years and upperbody strength came to me like waves to the beach. It's just something I've always been good at and I also like the feeling of fatigue in my arms *text deleted*. Call me a freak but trying to paddle into an ocean wave twice the height of you tends to knock the strength out of you :sailor:, which is when it becomes mental and that's all push ups are, 20 physical 40 mental.

Close your eyes if it helps =P

Chris

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm 16 at the moment and will be 17 in August, i am planning to finish college in June, Train for a couple of months (already go running and go to the gym) and then apply in November.

does this plan sound good???

thanks....
Personally i dont think anyone should join something like the Military until they have had a fair bit of life experience but that is just my thoughts on the matter, its your decision in the end. If you decide to go marines at 17 you got my support and will do best to help you along, most of the lads on here will do the exact same.

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
*text deleted* ye true i play alog of rugby as a fly harf i love that spot my coach dont use me to score just defent *text deleted* because once the ball is out of the scrum im in there straight on there scrum harf and take them down i aint massive but im the best tackler on my team i get guys twise my size running at me thinking there go right through me and i take them down every time

GaryA

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Personally i dont think anyone should join something like the Military until they have had a fair bit of life experience but that is just my thoughts on the matter, its your decision in the end. If you decide to go marines at 17 you got my support and will do best to help you along, most of the lads on here will do the exact same.
i see what you mean but a job in the forces is the only thing i have ever wanted really i couldnt really have a job behind the desk for 2 long. but in some cases joining the forces would be some life exsperance u get out of your area see the world meet new people and do great things, if i was to not join the forces i would probs be doing a job as a builder or elctrician or somthing but to me that would be kinda boring i would much rather prefer some action *text deleted* :rock:

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
17 years life experiance is enough thanks, I think the first 10 was enough but you have to be 15 years 9 months to join =)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
*text deleted*, my excuse is kayaking, been kayaking 7 years and upperbody strength came to me like waves to the beach. It's just something I've always been good at and I also like the feeling of fatigue in my arms *text deleted*. Call me a freak but trying to paddle into an ocean wave twice the height of you tends to knock the strength out of you :sailor:, which is when it becomes mental and that's all push ups are, 20 physical 40 mental.

Close your eyes if it helps =P
At risk of teaching anyone to suck eggs, you need to be practising quality press-ups rather than quantity initially. I'm sure everyone is, but everyone should just double-check their technique.

It's very important to each check you are doing them 100% correctly as many people think they are & then get caught out when they go to Lympstone.

You need to lay flat on your stomach, hands palms down, fingers together & thumbs inline pointing upwards inline with your body, the tips of your fingers under your shoulders level with the top of your shoulder, hands no more than shoulder width apart, your elbows touching the sides of your waist, tucked-in tight. Legs out straight, tight together, feet together, bottom of big toes touching the floor. Raise with straight back until arms locked straight, hands remain pointing inline shoulder-width apart. (This is the only permitted rest position- if your knees touch the floor whilst arms are straight, that's the end of your attempt.) As you go to the "down" position, your chest should come to no more than about 1cm off the deck and your elbows must brush the sides of your body, held in close.

In general terms if you can truly manage over 60 of those press-ups in 2 minutes, you are doing well & should also be well capable of "max-ing out" on pull-ups also. If you cannot do the maximum pull-ups, then the odds are you may not be doing the press-ups correctly or may simply just need to focus more on pull-ups.

RH

Reaction score
yeah to make sure im using the correct technique i take my sister full length mirror off her wall and put it horizontally next to me. its a good help to see if your elbows are tucked in, going all the way down etc etc.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Ninja, when I do 83 in 2 minutes it's pure textbook execution, I go low enough to slip a 1 pound coin underneath my chest and barely anything more. I have alot of upperbody strength naturally so pushups come second nature. The fact I do over 300 push ups a day might have something to do with it, not just Marine style but wide arm and more specifically diamond style which really puts the pressure on your triceps. I wouldn't for 1 second do incorrect technique as I prove with my lower amount of sit ups and my majorly undefined 6 pack, I'm not a person for fooling myself with bad technique.

I may upload a video later ;)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Ninja, when I do 83 in 2 minutes it's pure textbook execution, I go low enough to slip a 1 pound coin underneath my chest and barely anything more. I have alot of upperbody strength naturally so pushups come second nature. The fact I do over 300 push ups a day might have something to do with it, not just Marine style but wide arm and more specifically diamond style which really puts the pressure on your triceps. I wouldn't for 1 second do incorrect technique as I prove with my lower amount of sit ups and my majorly undefined 6 pack, I'm not a person for fooling myself with bad technique.

I may upload a video later ;)
Ash, I'm sure you are doing them correctly. The comment:

.... I'm sure everyone is, but everyone should just double-check their technique.
Was aimed at all rather than specifically yourself. Your figure is quite impressive & as long as your upper body strength is equally balanced by your running ability, then that is fine and bodes well.

The issue, as stated is that a lot of people do wide-arm rather than close-arm press-ups & it's better to forewarn everyone than not.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
No disrespect to Ashley, but I think everyone is making quite a big deal of 83 press-ups in 2 mins, don't get me wrong it's decent total but I wouldn't say it was anything special. I'm not *text deleted* say how many I can do because it sounds like bragging but I can bang out more than that when I do it at my OTC (form is correct, I tell the PTI's to watch my form extra closely so I can't cheat.) Several of my mates can do high scores as well. Whether you can replicate those high scores after the intensive warm-ups on PRMC/POC is a differnet matter

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Your figure is quite impressive
Are you hitting on me? ;) Or are you talking about the numbers? Either way, thank you =)

Duffy, no disrepect but people ask me about how I do it, I never bring it up first and secondly that's just in 2 minutes. I can max-out too ;)

sooty795

Reaction score
hi all

going back to the original post regarding age. I personally would say to anyone looking to join at a young age to get a trade or something first, to fall back on incase you don`t make it or for when you come out after a number of years in service. I`m mainly talking about the average GD marine not career 22yrs service.

I have had personal experience of this my self and have alot of friends in the paras and RM that have come out and struggle to find a job on the same income with the only experience of trained killer on the C.V. and the odd certificate.

For most, not all, they have to start back at the beginning of the career ladder and start from scratch. in some cases with lower pay.