Wrist mobility

xepicxmonkeyx

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before, I've looked at those in the 'Similar Threads' that mention injured wrists, etc, but none of them seem to answer my particular question.

I've had wrist mobility issues on my right hand for years now, and while there's no pain, I can't get into a palm-down push up position. Is this likely to come up in the medical check, and in the PRMC can I do the push-ups on my knuckles, as I've done for most my life?

Johnwayne

Reaction score
Hey man.

Does the mobility issue stem from something?

If it’s just immobile wrists I would recommend stretching them bud. See if that causes any pain. Do 15 minutes or so per day. Just google wrist mobility and stretching and you should find loads of stuff.

Don’t think you’ll get away with doing them on your knuckles, but don’t take my word for it. Someone smarter than me will come along with sound advice.

All the best man!

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
There's plenty of vids about correct form for PRMC on YouTube and press ups using knuckles isn't there.

I think that you really need to get this sorted, as there are other areas such as pull ups, regains and rope climbs that require full flexibility and I cannot see you getting beyond the medical until you can.

Hopefully others on here will either confirm or not.

Good luck

Alan

xepicxmonkeyx

Reaction score
Hey man.

Does the mobility issue stem from something?

If it’s just immobile wrists I would recommend stretching them bud. See if that causes any pain. Do 15 minutes or so per day. Just google wrist mobility and stretching and you should find loads of stuff.

Don’t think you’ll get away with doing them on your knuckles, but don’t take my word for it. Someone smarter than me will come along with sound advice.

All the best man!
I don't believe there was a non-lifestyle cause to it (disease, disability, etx). And to correct my initial post I can just about get into a palm down push-up position, but the total push-ups I can do plummet. To give more information though:

As a kid I'd get what I believe was repetitive strain injury that would cause pain every time I'd bend my wrist back, so I stopped bending it. As a result, it seems as my forearms grew in length, the muscles and tendons didn't. So every time I bend it back, It feels like my tendons on the underside (palm) side of my wrist, are getting bent around a corner.

I've made some progress in increasing flexibility recently though, so I'll definitely continue that, none-the-less. Cheers for the reply.

physiomum

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I think @xepicxmonkeyx, if you've not had any injuries or illnesses to cause this, your restricted wrist mobility is just specific to you. A bit like some people have tight hamstrings or stiff spines. A lot of people struggle with prolonged weight bearing on their palms but this can improve with practise.
I would continue to try to do the push ups with correct form increasing the number gradually. It may be uncomfortable to begin with but it will get more bearable. If however, your wrist swells up, becomes very painful or you get any other symptoms you may need to get a professional opinion. Good luck