Wrist pain during push ups?

Badger13

Reaction score
Hi all,

On Monday while doing my usual circuit I got a really sharp pain in my right wrist near the end of my second set of push ups, bad enough that I had to hop up onto my fist to complete the set. I didn't think much of at as my wrist was absolutely fine for the last 2 sets of push ups. Then today while doing my mock vPJFT+ on the very first set of press ups at about number 18 the same happened again and again it was absolutely fine after that for the remaining 3 rounds. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar while doing push ups. It's not like a usual exercise pain, more of a very sharp 'somethings wrong' pain, which is weird to me as I can then go on to finish my remaining sets of push ups no problem. Any advice appreciated cheers.

Chelonian

Reaction score
Any advice appreciated cheers.
I'm not qualified to advise but here's my observation based on experience of numerous niggles:

In the first instance, rest it. Lay off push ups completely for, say, one week. Probability is that it will just vanish and not recur. One week's avoidance of push ups should either rule the pain out as a transient niggle or identify the pain as something worth of further investigation.

THOR

Reaction score
Advice I was given a while back is whatever speed the muscles adapt, the nerves, tendons, and ligaments etc are going to be way behind. Maybe reign in the volume if you've been knocking that up quickly, and be sure to take the time to roll out joints before cracking any session. Plus any time gently stretching everything out after is going to do just as much good if not more than the actually session.

All the best for it feeling better.

Badger13

Reaction score
Cheers guys much appreciated *text deleted* lay off them for a bit, hopefully that'll sort it out.

Spykerman

Reaction score
I've had a similar issue when I didn't exercise for a while and then restarted. You can try switch to knuckle push-ups and when you do do push-ups try and hold that 90degree or less angle in your wrist by tensing your forearms, it sometimes happens with a weak forearm and too much strain is put on the wrist joint. using your index finger and thumb squeeze under the joint and and push the straightened hand upwards with knuckles towards the body or lean against a wall and try and use those passive stretches to increase mobility again as well to help loosen it up, and do wrist extension up and down left and right without resistance and then progressing to resistance also try and strengthen the forearm. This is what worked for me and its not a medical opinion, I wouldn't say its completely gone but I don't notice it anymore, I do try not to strain it though by flexing my forearm whenever pushing on my wrist and not putting that force straight to the joint and that has helped me. I've seen a physio and also checked many YouTube videos and that worked out for me, all the best!

D47M0R

Reaction score
@Badger13 Spread your fingers apart to a comfortable distance, place your hands on the ground, then push/press your fingertips (and thumbtips?) down into the ground (not too much though only a little bit). This will raise certain parts of your hand off the ground slightly, don't worry about that.

Obviously, you might have already been doing this, in which case you've got to hold back for a little while.

It may also be worth purchasing an NSD Powerball as a wrist strengthening tool.

Hope this is somewhat helpful.