Wrist surgery and press ups

Hadrien

Reaction score
Hello.
About three weeks ago I had a volar ganglion cyst removed from my wrist. This sodding thing prevented me from doing press ups and weights properly for TWO YEARS, because our fantastic NHS wrongly diagnosed it for over a year so I didn't get the surgery. ANYWAY, I'm feeling pretty good about it now, even though it has set me aback a little, and in a week or so I want to start building up press ups.

HOWEVER, I am a little nervous because of all the trouble I have had with it (prior to this, I had broken my wrist), and I don't want to do more harm than good. Are there any wrist strengthening exercises you can recommend after a wrist surgery? I obviously need to build up a lot so I can attempt PRMC, and should I pass that I need to strengthen it as much as humanly possible so I don't get an inury in training and then the medical personnel notice I had wrist problems before I enlisted and just discharge me.

Time isn't so much of an issue because due to other commitments I can't apply for at least 15 months so I will do anything suggested.

Thanks

Langa please?

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Hello.
About three weeks ago I had a volar ganglion cyst removed from my wrist. This sodding thing prevented me from doing press ups and weights properly for TWO YEARS, because our fantastic NHS wrongly diagnosed it for over a year so I didn't get the surgery. ANYWAY, I'm feeling pretty good about it now, even though it has set me aback a little, and in a week or so I want to start building up press ups.

HOWEVER, I am a little nervous because of all the trouble I have had with it (prior to this, I had broken my wrist), and I don't want to do more harm than good. Are there any wrist strengthening exercises you can recommend after a wrist surgery? I obviously need to build up a lot so I can attempt PRMC, and should I pass that I need to strengthen it as much as humanly possible so I don't get an inury in training and then the medical personnel notice I had wrist problems before I enlisted and just discharge me.

Time isn't so much of an issue because due to other commitments I can't apply for at least 15 months so I will do anything suggested.

Thanks
Have a read of this - http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md55.htm

Langa please?

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I've bookmarked that page. Thanks a lot, seems useful. I'll probably wait one more week to recover (just to be on the safe sid) and then start these exercises, then maybe a month later break into bodyweight exercises and gradually increase it
Start low, don't go overboard, the last thing you want to do is injure it again! I'd also recommend looking into some sort of way of warming up your wrists before hand.

This article and video looks useful - http://goldmedalbodies.com/wrist-elbow-shoulder-warmups/

Hadrien

Reaction score

Langa please?

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
This may sound terrible but I've NEVER warmed my wrists up, and until that post I've never even considered it. There may be hope yet!!

It's something I regularly forget to do as well, but it's just as important as warming up legs before a run, hopefully I can remember to do it more!

Betty

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hello.

Thanks
Do some press ups on your knuckles, it keeps the wrist straight and helps to build the strength in the connective tissue surrounding the joint.

P

Pingu

Hello.

Thanks

Someones *text deleted* say it soon.....