WW2 discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottishRMR

Reaction score
I have mixed feeling about ww2. Sure Germany killing Jews was bad but the real enemy was the USSR. And let's be real Stalin was worse than Hitler considering Stalin killed his own people. The cold war was inevitable USSR and USA were the two new superpowers. What do you guys think? Am not a Nazi *text deleted* but I personally see the USSR as worse than Nazi Germany.

ScottishRMR

Reaction score
@Ninja_Stoker can we have friendly discussions like this on here? I know my ww2 history the most my gran is 92 she was 17 when it ended

CallMeLucifer

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with a healthy, sensible, educated, discussion about sensitive subjects. BUT, it comes off as a low-hanging fruit when people say: "Sure Germany killing Jews was bad but the real enemy was the USSR. And let's be real Stalin was worse than Hitler considering Stalin killed his own people". It comes off as rather sinister.

ScottishRMR

Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with a healthy, sensible, educated, discussion about sensitive subjects. BUT, it comes off as a low-hanging fruit when people say: "Sure Germany killing Jews was bad but the real enemy was the USSR. And let's be real Stalin was worse than Hitler considering Stalin killed his own people". It comes off as rather sinister.
I agree should have worded it differently didn't mean to offend anyone. We could talk about the good and bad of both. I always talk facts but before feelings.

ScottishRMR

Reaction score
Just trying to have a friendly debate on it. Lets talk facts again we could also talk about the Japanese. My main conflict comes with Nazi Germany and USSR

Murk

Reaction score
The motives of each an every country of the Axis powers were so complex that its difficult to compare them on a black and white scale of worse and better, even more difficult when comparing the USSR & Nazi Germany, they were wildly different. Both were evil but USSR was our ally in defeating the Nazis and made the job a lot easier for us.

Are you saying the USSR should have been our enemy when Hitler was knocking on our door? How would that have worked?

Murk

Reaction score
I agree should have worded it differently didn't mean to offend anyone. We could talk about the good and bad of both. I always talk facts but before feelings.
I don't think you can draw any 'good' conclusion from the deaths of tens of millions of innocent civilians.

SCOTTY6

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
I feel like your question doesn’t make any sense. Germany invaded Western Europe and were knocking on Britain’s front door, we didn’t exactly have much of a choice to fight them. I feel like your question is who was the bigger bad guy. In which case both of them were knobs.

ScottishRMR

Reaction score
The motives of each an every country of the Axis powers were so complex that its difficult to compare them on a black and white scale of worse and better, even more difficult when comparing the USSR & Nazi Germany, they were wildly different. Both were evil but USSR was our ally in defeating the Nazis and made the job a lot easier for us.

Are you saying the USSR should have been our enemy when Hitler was knocking on our door? How would that have worked?
Am saying overall treaty of Versailles was a mistake and both nations Nazi Germany and USSR whichever won both would have enough power to influence Europe. Iron curtain and Germany expanding eastward. I don't agree with Germany being split in two after the war either. The nation fought hard and when it's defeated it's split in two. It almost like a second treaty of Versailles

ScottishRMR

Reaction score
The historical consensus appears to be that wars are 'bad' on every sensible level.

The relative merits of participating nations are entirely subjective so pinning down an answer as to which was worse is perhaps pointless.
Isn't war unavoidable sometimes? I don't believe all wars are bad

ScottishRMR

Reaction score
I don't think you can draw any 'good' conclusion from the deaths of tens of millions of innocent civilians.
We can look at the good and bad things each country did both Nazi Germany and USSR. If we are talking about racism then Nazi Germany would be the worst for killing Jews/Slavs. We also have to remember all allied leaders were racist as well. The world was more racist then

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads