WW2 Vet funeral appeal 96 yr old

Discussion in 'Royal Marines History and Knowledge' started by Catto, May 11, 2017.

1. Catto

Catto Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Rossi

Rossi Royal Marines Commando

A limbang vet died of cancer afew years ago who was almost in the same situation had one surviving relative his daughter, some ranks from Lima Coy 42 visited him in hospital and then conducted an honour guard at his funeral.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Catto

Catto Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Excellent this fellow deserves the same send off.

4. Rover

Rover Moderator

• Like Like x 1
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  5. Catto

Catto Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Thanks for the link thats brilliant.

Well done to all who took the time to attend.

6. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

My local RMR USM went, said it was a good turn out.

7. Catto

Catto Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Its a shame he didnt get the recognition he deserved before he died.
    Saying that he was a from a generation that didnt like to be made a fuss.
    In my area there is a bloke bit of a loner never with anyone. I got talking to him one day must be in his 60's (not old i know) mentioned he use to be a chef. Anyway i bumped into him a few weeks later on remembrance day when he walked into the shop in his blue uniform he was a sgt. I said to him ohh your an ex marine he smiled at me and said once you are a royal marine your always a royal marine.
    My point is he always attends memorial days etc showing his respect. I just wish all these blokes were reconised for the commitment they once gave.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

As an aside, don't wait for someone to die.
    Any one of us can make a difference now. Many service personnel live in residential or nursing care homes. Often they have no living relatives and receive no visits other than from health professionals.

Consider knocking the door of your local care home and chatting to residents. No appointment required. A brief chat with the duty manager is often all that will be required because contact will almost always be in the public spaces of the home. If anyone wants to take such an initiative, ask away or feel free to PM me for advice.

One former Royal Artillery rank of my acquaintance was socially isolated and wearing rags in his care home until his regimental association was made aware of his existence. After which he received several visits each week, was taken on outings to the pub and was always dressed in a smart rig which boosted his self esteem.

• Like Like x 4