"Yeah, that's like the Army but ... "

RossRobObey

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I was sitting chatting to a 'friend' today at lunch when I mentioned a guy who wanted to join the Royal Marines (not myself, some chav at my school who smokes, drinks, drugs, the whole shebang).

Anyway, I mentioned he was trying to join when this other chap replied "Yeah, that's like the Army, but for the people who can't get the grades!"

To which I replied "Shut the f' up, I'm joning the RM and you should find out more about them before spouting off".

Now with me being a bigger guy than him, it soon shut up him, but it leads me to think, what do people actually think/know about the Royal Marines Commandos?

Firstly, he obviously thought they were a group of poorly trained, poorly educated soldiers who are much inferior to the Army (Not going to say anything about this, but we know that's not true).

Secondly, he obviously thought you need a decent education and qualifications to get into the Army (We're not talking about Officers).

So how much does Joe Public actually know about his countries Armed Forces? I'm not specifically talking about the RM, but all of them.

It really is worrying.

Oz22

Reaction score
The general person in secondry education isn't going to know alot about the armed forces mainly because they don't know much about anything, unless of course your looking to join. Most people will know that the Marines are Elite troops, But its like anything if your not interested in something you don't tend to know or want to find out much about it. Although its a shame more people don't acknowlege the armed forces as they are the men and women who keep this country safe.

Macca

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yeh I've noticed that a fair few people have heard of the Marines but not really know what there role is or just think they are the army wich to be fair you can't blame a few of the people as alot just ain't interested and see Marines as soldiers wich they then associate with the army. When I told my aunty (who is abit divvy) I wanted to join the Marines she thought I meant the USMC *text deleted*, for me the conversation ended right there *text deleted*

proudtobebritish

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
allright Ross.

People have replied to me thinking that marines are people which are sea soldiers :laugh:

Basically they only opperate in the water and arent good. :fight:

FletchPRMC

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I cant be *text deleted**text deleted*ed explaining, I tell people to check out youtube haha. Hardly anyone I have ever asked knows a thing about it at all. Thinking Im going on a submarine, or Im an oil worker.

Raz

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
The key word is 'Commando', slightly more people may understand then, if you're lucky.

MrSkippy

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Most people don't know much at all about any of the armed forces im afraid. Poor education and liberal hippies in charge of schools that don't like forces coming in to promote themselves.

Oz22

Reaction score
Raz just made a good point, mention that they are Elite Commandos, everyone has heard of Commandos and they are known to be Elite!

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
I think Ive just got one that cakes the cake.

Her: Whats the royal marines?
Me: :|
Her: ?:S
Me: thats a joke right?
Her: Noo. :S
Her: Should it bee? ><
Me: I really hope so :L
Me: Royal Marines are the navys amphibious infantry.
Me: Hardest infantry training in the world
Her: A don't get itt?
Me: ok do you know what the army is
Me: ..
Her: Yeahh, don't they like, shoot the terrorists and stuff?
Me: oh dear
Her: :S
Her: Am a bit like, not smart?:-O

I had to stop speaking to her after that. I just couldn't fathom the ignorance.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I think Ive just got one that cakes the cake.

Her: Whats the royal marines?
Me: :|
Her: ?:S
Me: thats a joke right?
Her: Noo. :S
Her: Should it bee? ><
Me: I really hope so :L
Me: Royal Marines are the navys amphibious infantry.
Me: Hardest infantry training in the world
Her: A don't get itt?
Me: ok do you know what the army is
Me: ..
Her: Yeahh, don't they like, shoot the terrorists and stuff?
Me: oh dear
Her: :S
Her: Am a bit like, not smart?:-O

I had to stop speaking to her after that. I just couldn't fathom the ignorance.

Well fcuck me why would you have people like that in your list!

But yeah a lot of civvies don't distinguish between the Royal Marines and the Army, but to some it does hold a bit more reverence than the just the Army, just like the US Marine in America.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
to be honest i dont care if a person im talking to doesn't know much about the marines. as long as they dont start thinking they are american or in the army then i will quite happily explain. but to people who dont have the first clue i just change the subject. otherwise it will be a waste of my breath *text deleted*.

Sam1

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
i told my college tutor and he was insistant that i needed to do the BARB test instead of the psychometric test *text deleted*

ME: "I've bloody done it!!!"
TUTOR: "Nope, im pretty sure it's the BARB test"

i usually just give up explaining who the Marines are and say, Super spys for MI6 (Y)

gedro

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I've heard plenty over the years.

"You're not big enough to join the marines!" - said by someone who thinks they are all steakheads.

One person even thought I was "gay/homosexual" because I was joining the Navy.

Narrowminded views by f*ckwits who havn't got a clue about anything. :rock:

tcsmith88

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I was sitting chatting to a 'friend' today at lunch when I mentioned a guy who wanted to join the Royal Marines (not myself, some chav at my school who smokes, drinks, drugs, the whole shebang).

Anyway, I mentioned he was trying to join when this other chap replied "Yeah, that's like the Army, but for the people who can't get the grades!"

To which I replied "Shut the f' up, I'm joning the RM and you should find out more about them before spouting off".

Now with me being a bigger guy than him, it soon shut up him, but it leads me to think, what do people actually think/know about the Royal Marines Commandos?

Firstly, he obviously thought they were a group of poorly trained, poorly educated soldiers who are much inferior to the Army (Not going to say anything about this, but we know that's not true).

Secondly, he obviously thought you need a decent education and qualifications to get into the Army (We're not talking about Officers).

So how much does Joe Public actually know about his countries Armed Forces? I'm not specifically talking about the RM, but all of them.

It really is worrying.

The ignorant, misguided tosser you mention in this thread sounds like he is in desperate need of a good smacking!

AdmiralAwesome

Reaction score
Why even bother with people like that?

You could sit them down for half an hour, explain exactly what the Royal Marines are, what they do and why they are one of the toughest, elitest fighting forces in the world, and they'd still sit there feeling smug because you're taking 'the easy way out' and they're doing a degree in ICT/Media Studies at Stoke University!

They'll never understand that there's people in this world that aren't interested in money, a nice house and nice car, who would rather do something extraordinary, put their lives on the line so that people like them can have the freedom to sit around and slag them off.

a flying dodo

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
As much as i hate saying it, i say "im joining the army as an officer" and i get the reply "wow, cool".

However if i say "im joining as an officer in the marines" . The reply irecieve is "What's the point they just sit around doing nothing on a boat all day." To which i reply "No they are currently deployed in afghanistan as they are front line troops"

But no matter how many hours i have put into looking up about the marines and finding out what they really do, they must be right.

The way i look at it is, if it does not directly concern the person why would they bother.

Death-Oar-Glory

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
See, if it's girls, I generally experience:

her: So what do you want to do when you leave uni?
me: I don't plan on going to uni
her: oh, so what are you going to do with your life!?
me: join the royal marines...
her: oh, cool. They're the army people aren't they?
me: errrr >Oh GOD here it goes again< not really. They have a similarrole to the army, but are part of the navy, and better than the army.
her: so, do they go out on boats then?
me: well, there's always at least one unit of royal deployed on one of her majesties ships, but the majority spend their time on land or assalting the land.
her: so do they just get on land and then let the army fight once they get there?
Me: >sigh< no, they continue the fight for as long as they're required. They're elite troops, they're at least as good as any infantry unit.
her: but they're in the navy! why are they on land???
Me: don't worry about it. if anyone asks, I'm joining the hardest infantry unit there is, and they are hardcore.

If it's a bloke I'm just genuinely disgusted if they compare royal to the army. The most common phrase 'Oh, you're doing the army thing aren't you?' pisses me off no end, and people who don't know about royal just get confused when i get irritated at them!!

Fools.

Echus

Reaction score
I've been in the Navy for three years and I still get the whole "How's the army going for you?" thing from people who automatically equate 'military' with 'army'. :evil: :evil: