Year after the Corp.

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Hello All!

Not posted or visited the forum for almost a year as I've been incredibly time poor. Like the new forum look and feel, especially on mobile device.

As the title said left the green machine after more than 10+ years service.

Any questions, especially on what it was like to transition back to being a civi ask away.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
Hello All!

Not posted or visited the forum for almost a year as I've been incredibly time poor. Like the new forum look and feel, especially on mobile device.

As the title said left the green machine after more than 10+ years service.

Any questions, especially on what it was like to transition back to being a civi ask away.
Welcome to the world of civvys! I expect that you have found that life is a little bit different this side of the fence! Still, I cannot complain too much, civvy street gave me a good living, although I did struggle at times making the adjustment.

Alan

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
What did you do career wise after you left.
Project and Systems Management. Current role is alittle sideways of that R&D Control Principle. What that means outside corporate speak is solving problems in proprietary systems from invention to implementation in the field. So the boffins make gizmos, which are then lab tested, and we break them in new and interesting ways in the real world, then the process repeats till we can't break the gizmo anymore. Come to think of it very similar to how we treat kit in the Corp.

...I expect that you have found that life is a little bit different this side of the fence! ...
It is very different, no more 2 hour lunch breaks, found my pace of task delivery was at odds with my civilian counter parts, and timed my exit from the RM so well with a global pandemic emerging, at the same time as trying to get my head around a new role and moving overseas. Fun times!

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
What signalled for you that it was time to clock out? Broadly speaking?
The Pension changes killed my aspirations for full career really, Earning potential in the private sector, and feeling I had got the most out of my RM roles, and limited personal development moving forward cemented my resolve to leave. Only thing I wish I did was take a recruit troop through, but the draft wasn't available at the time.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
The Pension changes killed my aspirations for full career really, Earning potential in the private sector, and feeling I had got the most out of my RM roles, and limited personal development moving forward cemented my resolve to leave. Only thing I wish I did was take a recruit troop through, but the draft wasn't available at the time.
Glad to hear you landed on your feet and doing well mate. If you ever find yourself at odds or struggling as a civvie, especially in a pandemic with lay-offs or redundancy etc give your local SSAFA a call.

I’m always surprised how many lads I’ve asked, ranging from Mne to SNCO have all quoted the exact same reasons. Expecially the SNCOs, usually the pension at that point is a call to stay in.

JWR94

Reaction score
What were some of the highlights of your career in the RM, and what were some of the negatives?

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
Great to hear you are doing well and good idea for a thread mate.
Your attitude and approach will definitely be a major contribution to the outcome of your new civvie street life. Great shout by @ThreadpigeonsAlpha SSAFA helped me with an issue no long after I left the mob. Keep thriving mate!

Illustrious

Royal Marines Commando - Moderator
Reaction score
A much needed bit of literary morale as I am looking to punch out in the very near future. Were there many hiccups during the leave process? Also, did you move overseas immediately upon exit from the Corps' and were you granted early release because of that fact?

Johnny_Anonie

Reaction score
A much needed bit of literary morale as I am looking to punch out in the very near future. Were there many hiccups during the leave process? Also, did you move overseas immediately upon exit from the Corps' and were you granted early release because of that fact?
During my resettlement I had to attend a CTP workshop in Catterick. Do you guys have similar? Essentially a day of CV writing input. Quite patronising if I’m honest.

I was granted early release after I secured an offer from the Police. In all honesty I’ve only ever found my military experience to be a positive. Public opinion of the forces on whole is very high. Lusty, you’ll smash it.

ThreadpigeonsAlpha

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
As far as I was made aware with early release, they will only release you with a contract and job details.
Unfortunately this doesn’t include self employment for some reason. When I asked for early relief when looking at self employment I was refused but was granted it when I went in with a totally different job offer and contract.
During my resettlement I had to attend a CTP workshop in Catterick. Do you guys have similar? Essentially a day of CV writing input. Quite patronising if I’m honest.

I was granted early release after I secured an offer from the Police. In all honesty I’ve only ever found my military experience to be a positive. Public opinion of the forces on whole is very high. Lusty, you’ll smash it.
Yes you get different levels of resettlement depending on your length of service, from a day of chad CV writing to a weeks course, or longer, I’m not sure.

What I will say is the resettlement package for after, the re-skilling and learning new trades with learning credits is over complicated, no one gives you a straight answer of how to apply or use them and all the courses are in England.

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
What were some of the highlights of your career in the RM, and what were some of the negatives?
I really loved my time in Lima Coy, that was the best draft I had, we had some great deployments, exercises, and runs ashore. Negatives, getting pinged for a spec when I had already passed the acquaint for my preferred spec but hadn't received the draft yet. :mad: All my time at faslane, and triple hatting roles due to manning issues.

Yes moved pretty much immediately, asked for early release with proof of job offer several times and was told a hard no! Which almost resulted in me missing the recruitment windows.

Had a mixed bag of support which I was semi expecting, and my resettlement activities always seemed to conflict with when I was needed in the unit.

Hiccups wise, CTP/resettlement is difficult to navigate, and the resettlement courses on offer are hit and miss. The best courses are booked out long in advance. I found the courses delivered by a third party away from military organisations were great. The most expensive course which was Prince 2, I attended at Catterick, was so poorly delivered, I needed to re-attend with a civilian provider.

I would recommend using a professional CV writing service to get everything in order, you will gather alot of transitional soft skills during your RM time, but no one in the civi space will care about your military career, and converting your roles and duties, into terms that can be easily understood adds immense value. As does getting away from the CV templates that CTP recommends.

R

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
Feel like I’ve missed the boat, what’s happened to pensions?
In 2015 public service pensions were changed to a career salary average, as non commissioned ranks start off on a very low starting salary and its mid to late career you make 40k+ this means your pension on retirement is much lower than it would have been on the old system. I calculated that on an optimal promotion route I would only retire on a pension around 14k a year. Even indexed into inflation this wasn't what I had signed up for. I also knew it would be much harder the older I became to move into a different career.

Caversham

Former RM Commando, Moderator
Reaction score
In 2015 public service pensions were changed to a career salary average, as non commissioned ranks start off on a very low starting salary and its mid to late career you make 40k+ this means your pension on retirement is much lower than it would have been on the old system. I calculated that on an optimal promotion route I would only retire on a pension around 14k a year. Even indexed into inflation this wasn't what I had signed up for. I also knew it would be much harder the older I became to move into a different career.
I was lucky that I left the Civil Service before these new arrangements came into effect. My pension was based on the best 12 months out of my last three years of service. As this period included a temporary promotion to cover my boss when he was on long term sick, it made a hell of a difference to what is on offer nowadays.

Alan

stumpylegs

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Seems like to be a career soldier you’d would have to either go for commission or transfer to another service that gives you your 2 strips soon as you join *cough raf PTI *cough.

Chelonian

Reaction score
I would recommend using a professional CV writing service to get everything in order, you will gather alot of transitional soft skills during your RM time, but no one in the civi space will care about your military career, and converting your roles and duties, into terms that can be easily understood adds immense value.
Sound advice. I've attended three so-called CV writing courses over the years and as hinted by others they were all depressing, patronising and uninspiring. But they were cheap for the employers; merely box-ticking exercises with minimal value.

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Seems like to be a career soldier you’d would have to either go for commission or transfer to another service that gives you your 2 strips soon as you join *cough raf PTI *cough.
Not to derail the thread too much but some RAF roles now have the option of entering as a SNCO.

You have to pass their Officer selection board but then start training as an OR Recruit. On completion of Phase 1 (10 weeks) you do an 8 week Senior Command Course at the rank of Acting Sergeant on £27k. You then become a Sgt on completion (Week 18 in service - £32k-37k based on role) and complete Phase 2 for your role (6 months to 4 years, depending on role).

Roles it applies to right now are Air Traffic Control, Weapons Systems Operator (Door Gunner), Weapons Systems Operator (Loadmaster).