Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Years of Service

Discussion in 'General Royal Marines Joining Chit Chat' started by 217Scooby, Apr 7, 2019.

1. 217Scooby

217Scooby New Member

Hi guys,

I just wanted to check something. Reading online it looks like after 18 years or when you hit 40, which ever is longer you will get your full pension.

At this point do you have to leave the Marines? Or can you stay on?

What is the process for this and likehood of being able to keep going in the Marines?

Thanks,

2. westy

westy Well-Known Member

I don’t think you do, I mean @Ninja_Stoker has been in since Nelson was a midshipman :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. R

R Well-Known Member

It was 18 years when I joined and then there was a pension review and part of the revisions is the requirement to for 22 years service for pension. There can be oppertunities beyond 22 years to service by bening granted an extension of service, depending on your rank, role and service requirement. Sure Ninja will dive in at some point and give a more complete answer.

4. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Minimum service, if you don't wrap before week 26 is 30 months after completing training plus 12 months notice. That means, if you pass out as an original, you'll serve 50 months minimum.

Your initial contract is 12 years but if you reach Corporal within that time, your contract is extended to 20 years if you want it.

Full pension is accrued after 20 years service, but doesn't pay out until you are 60+ under the AFPS 15 contract.

Times change, my pension scheme is different. I'm 57 and have had 38 years service. My current contact ends at age 60 and if I live that long, my combined service pension will be about 60% of my current pay as a SNCO, paid from 60.

Currently, extensions beyond 20 years are feasible, but as ever, never guaranteed. If you are deemed employable & continue to provide something the service needs, you could gain a series of extensions of contract up until age 60.

The average Royal Marine serves between 6 to 11 years. Do not assume you will want to serve longer than the average, the vast majority are entirely happy to leave sooner than 12 years - if they didn't, there would be virtually zero promotion prospects.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1