Yes, another joining Thread

Fatduck

Reaction score
I can only guess you have had too many, Any tips/how should i do this/that. Well yet again, Here it is.

I am 19 years old, living in north London, My fitness is pretty good, I just saw on the website that to get in you have to run a mile and half in 10mins 45, my personal best at the moment is 9:20 so i think im pretty safe at the moment. But by no means am I a 'Runner', I have always been a pretty big guy, always being complimented on my broad shoulders and wide chest, I am not a runner, I prefer to do a 8 mile tab than a 1.5 mile, because I am slow and steady. I do know that I will have to dramatically increase my speed for the tests, as I am aware there is a time limit.

I joined my local TA infantry unit, even though a logistics unit was closer, where my dads best friend was a major, I wanted Infantry. Just to get a bit of knowledge and basic skills, I have wanted to join the Marines since the age of 16, and have been inching towards it slowly but surely. I would like to join the Royal Marines as an Officer (joined as a private in the Territorial Army) And would very much appreciate any advise from Royal Marines Officers/Commando's (please feel free to message me on the forum or reply in this thread) and would like any advice. As you know from reading this thread my fitness is average, and I think I am ready to apply, but is there anything that I should 'check off' before I apply?

Thank you in Advance.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Hiya & welcome,

Good luck with your RM Officer application & preparation. You need to start the process at least 12 months before you ideally wish to join. The next available intake being September 2009.

Doubtless someone will beat me to it, but it's 1.5 mile in under 10 mins & 3 miles in under 22mins 30 secs.

The advice with regard upperbody muscle mass is "don't bulk-up" aim to be well toned but not hugely muscular, but ensure you can complete 60 close-arm press-ups where your elbows brush your waist on each dip. 80 knees-together sit-ups & 16 back-handed, thumbs out chin-ups.

Good luck!

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome to the site Duck =)

Sniper, he wants to join as an officer.

Good luck with your application!

roguesniper

Reaction score
ahh sorry only skim read it. good luck with your application duck

Fatduck

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the quick response, I have been careful not to bulk up and have been outweighing my weight lifting exericises with cardiovascular exercises, but its quite natural for me to bulk up, I dont take any supplements, apart from Thermobol to burn fat and increase muscle, which seems to be working, I have been told that my arms are getting to big though, so I will just be concentrating on bergan workouts and long distance runs for the time being.

Doing a 1.5 in under 10mins is no problem, but I havent got a recorded time for my 3 miles, so I'll do that tomorrow morning and let you know.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Potential Officers have to have legendary strength. How can you lead if you're weak? Therefore you have to produce legendary results.

Fatduck

Reaction score
ah fair do's, not to sound like a *text deleted**text deleted*, but I can do 22 Chin ups, arms extended to full and back.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
ah fair do's, not to sound like a *text deleted**text deleted*, but I can do 22 Chin ups, arms extended to full and back.

Chin ups and pull ups are different..

Chin ups = palms face you / Pull ups = palms face away

You're required to do Pull ups just incase you're not already.

Fatduck

Reaction score
ah ok thanks, see posting on this forum has already benefited me, I have done Pull ups = palms face away to an extent but havent actually wrote down my best effort. Something to get onto.