YO 2019 Batch

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Caversham, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Caversham

Caversham Former RM Commando

As selection for the 2018 Batch has now been completed, it now seems right to start a thread for next year's Batch as questions are now being asked by potential candidates.

Good luck to you all.

Alan

• Like Like x 5
  2. Bean97

Bean97 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    I'm hoping for this batch subject to passing all the stages :)

Currently waiting for capita to give me a date for my medical. Seems to be taking rather long though - I've been waiting nearly 6 weeks now.

3. pofwales24

pofwales24 Member

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    Call them up mate - you have to pester them to get things done. They’re incredibly slow and inefficient otherwise.

• Like Like x 2
  4. F_W_m0

F_W_m0 New Member

App Stage:
    I'm now aiming for this batch after missing out on being selected for the 2018 Batch. Having done all aspects of the application process I'm happy to answer any questions anyone might have.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Woody1

Woody1 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Also aiming for this batch. Got my NSRT booked next week so still early days. Anyone know when POCs will begin?

6. razzmatttaz

razzmatttaz New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I've seen people hoping for an October POC for 2019 selection, so I'd presume around then mate. Good luck.

7. Zandvoort10

Zandvoort10 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Yes I will be on this one. Hope to be on one of the earliest POCs as I've done everything else now.

8. mactavish80

mactavish80 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hey guys, anyone know when the last AIB Dates are?

9. pv5c42n0x

pv5c42n0x New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Afternoon, does anyone know the application deadline for the 2019 batch?

10. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

You are advised to aim for the first available AIB rather than the last as it allows no room to manoeuvre if things don't go to plan. The last AIB is usually late June and traditionally over-subscribed.
    Applications for the 2019 YO batch should be underway no later than 31st December 2018. Now is an excellent time to get things moving and hopefully get selection cracked before Christmas.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  11. green_beret0710

green_beret0710 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    @F_W_m0
    Top tips on fitness preparation for POC?
    What were the essays like in the AIB?

Also aiming for YO19 Batch :)

12. Bean97

Bean97 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Sadly on hold with my app until January. Broke my wrist January this year so Capita is making me wait :( - Hoping I will still have enough time to reach the 2019 batch.

13. F_W_m0

F_W_m0 New Member

App Stage:
    @green_beret0710

With POC be as fit as absolutely possible, I know that goes without saying but don't underestimate it physically (especially Tuesday). Do a lot of running, train for the BFT and RMFA so that you can get high scores and max out where possible to put you in a great position mentally for Tuesday. Then with Tuesday its tough but if you don't give in and push to the front you'll get through.

For AIB you don't do an essay. The closest thing to one would be at the plan-ex where you need to write your plan in 15 minutes in bullet point style expressing your main efforts and courses of action. I think they give you a template but can't remember but if you're writing an essay you've gone wrong. There was an essay in POC. You choose from a list of current affair titles. Set it up like any other essay (intro, point 1, 2, 3, conclusion as separate paragraphs) and be clued up on current affairs because you do get scored on it.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  14. green_beret0710

green_beret0710 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Thanks very much for the detailed reply, and congrats on getting through to where you are.
    Out of interest how far would you recommend being able to run long-distance, I'm shooting for 6 miles.

15. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

One thing that did come to light this year was the fact that the scores achieved on POC DO affect the selection decision.

Previously we had always believed that a pass was a pass at POC and the AIB score was the deciding factor. But, I'm reliably informed that this simply isn't the case.

16. F_W_m0

F_W_m0 New Member

App Stage:
    @green_beret0710 I don't really know and I'm no personal trainer but a longer run every now and again wouldn't hurt. The endurance course is the furthest you run (6 miles with the run back to camp) but its not a straight run through with the obstacles, drags and carries, and other fun stuff thrown in by the PTI so factor that into your training.

And with what @Ninja_Stoker said you should aim to get to POC and be the fittest or at least up there at the top of the group. I found out the hard way that just passing POC can bite you in the *text deleted* when it comes to FSB.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  17. bigbillsball

bigbillsball New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Which scores would these be? Pull ups, push ups, sit ups, bft.. am I missing any others?

18. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker .

The BFT, VO2 and RMFA are the main points earners but credible times are required on the assault course and the Endurance Course.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  19. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Remember POC is not just about fitness. You also need to perform well on lecturette, current affairs discussions, planning task and essay. Make sure you understand every aspect of the course and ensure you have prepared accordingly.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  20. pv5c42n0x

pv5c42n0x New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    What time should one aim for in the second 2.4km run to score high? I've seen on the RM Officer website that 9mins30secs is considered a "satisfactory" time (and 10mins30secs is a pass), however I'm guessing this should be surpassed.

And thank you to all posters for the helpful info on POC.