YO 2019 Batch

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Caversham, Jul 31, 2018.

1. green_beret0710

green_beret0710 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Not saying it’s perfect but for my mock PJFTs I’ve aimed for a 9 minute time for the second run, this is if you run at 16kph. It was very challenging but I’m sure it will be seen as satisfactory. I think anything below 9mins 30secs would be showing a suitable amount of effort.
    I’ve got my actual one on Wednesday I’ll let you know what feedback I get for the time.

2. Rockafeller

Rockafeller New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Hey everyone,

Brand new to the forum and I have both my NSRT and SIFT on the 26th - any last minute advice for the Officer Applicant Questionnaire, NSRT or SIFT?

I am a bit apprehensive of applying this year, however, if I don't I will only have 1 attempt due to my age so I may as well.

I've been practicing quite a lot for psychometric tests and hit 85%+ each time with plenty of time to spare and I have filled out the OAQ comprehensively, being sure to use different examples for each box (I'm not happy with my moral courage one, but I have time to reassess that). I'm just a little concerned about my general knowledge of the RN/RM and definitely my current affair knowledge!

From experience, is a week (evenings only) enough to prepare for the SIFT? (I wasn't originally aware it was back-to-back with NSRT). And if so, any last minute tips other than watch the news, read a paper, etc? (Was thinking The Week or another news summary as a week to catch up with current affairs isn't much at all!).

Thanks in advance guys!

3. Rockafeller

Rockafeller New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    I've only got my NSRT and AFCO Interview in a couple weeks, but struggling with the running - I'd certainly appreciate the feedback on what they think re times!

4. pv5c42n0x

pv5c42n0x New Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Best of luck for your PJFT. I was actually asking about the POC runs, however I'm interested to hear your feedback.

5. green_beret0710

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I’ll be sure to keep you guys updated with what feedback I get.

Remember that if you are only just doing your NSRT and AFCO interview then you have a few months left before your PJFT (depending on how quickly you complete eyesight and medical tests), plenty of time to improve.

I used to struggle with running quite a bit, but I went three times a week on a 1.5 mile run around an area with mixed inclines, with the occasional 3 mile as I got fitter. This has prepared me very well as I ran them quite quickly (around 12 mins for a 1.5 mile with a large hill), giving me a good level of fitness for PJFT.

Additionally, running at a quick pace has made slower running easier, and I surprised myself yesterday by running 10k (48mins) for the first time, despite only running as far as 5k in the past.

In regards to the NSRT, I just did the mock papers that they sent me and that was more than enough preparation to comfortably sit the test.

The AFCO interview is more of a casual chat explaining the next steps, after which I was sent the OAQ.

Hope that helps, any other questions and I’ll be happy to answer :)

Best of luck with everything.

6. green_beret0710

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Ah sorry I misunderstood, I guess that expectations would be similar although maybe they expect you to run a faster one than in PJFT, to show that your fitness has improved since then.

7. Rockafeller

Rockafeller New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    That's all brilliant, thank you!

I ran 5km in 23:30 yesterday which is a new PB. Quite happy seeing as I've only been running actively around 5 weeks. It's also good to hear that you don't need to necessarily be running 10km to be able to!

That's weird, I've been sent my OAQ already and been asked to take it to my AFCO interview? Hmmm...

Nonetheless, thanks for the reply! :)

8. green_beret0710

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    That’s a very impressive 5k time especially after just 5 week so I’d say you aren’t struggling as much as you think :)

Yeah definitely I think you can push yourself to run greater distances than you thought you could achieve, especially with the 10k which was a challenge for the mind more than fitness towards the end.

That’s interesting to hear, although from what I have read on here I got sent my OAQ quite late.

Glad to have helped mate

• Like Like x 1
  9. green_beret0710

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Had my PJFT today, very happy to say I’ve passed, with a second 2.4km time of 8mins 50secs.

In regards to the times you should aim for, I asked the advisor and they said literally anything under 10:30 at PJFT stage is smiled upon, with everything under that being a bonus really, sorry for the ambiguity but that’s all I could get on it.

10. allye

allye Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    My careers advisor said I should be aiming for 9 as a regular, as an officer you want to be sub 9 I’d suggest.

Train hard and “aim” for a as fast as your body will let you!

11. Zandvoort10

Zandvoort10 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Other advice given on here previously suggets no one at POC will know your PJFT time.

What you can say by looking at the PRMC diaries is that you rarely get candidates that finish over 10 mins and the upper half of candidates are from around 9 minutes upwards.

Based on the widely circulated scoring system 9:40 to 9 mins is 3 points, where as sub 9 minutes is 4 points.

For all 5 points you need sub 8:15, however based on PRMC diaries/results, very few people achieve that time. I have friends who at passing P Company were "only" running 8:37 BFTs.

Based on that, i'd say you should "aim" for sub 9 minutes, but of course run as much as you can and give maximum effort on the day. Everyone says conserving yourself on any event is a big no no.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  12. Woody1

Woody1 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Anyone going on the Potential Officer Visit to 45 Commando on 26th Nov?

13. green_beret0710

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    I applied a while ago, haven’t heard if I’m confirmed to go yet.
    Have you found out?

14. Woody1

Woody1 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I received an email about it the other day, just trying to see if I can get the time off work