Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

YO 2019 Batch

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Caversham, Jul 31, 2018.

1. green_beret0710

green_beret0710 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    I was contacted around a week after my CD to inform them of my availability for POC.
    Two weeks after that they offered me the date of POC 10th March, that was back in mid December. Hope that helps.

2. NO.SF&G

NO.SF&G New Member

App Stage:
    Awaiting selection after AIB pass
    thanks for the response @green_beret0710 , very helpful. I had my CD mid December, so imagine the process has slowed up over the xmas period. It's a waiting game now

3. green_beret0710

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    No worries mate, hopefully you’ll be hearing from them soon.

4. sharkie452

sharkie452 New Member

App Stage:
  5. sharkie452

sharkie452 New Member

App Stage:
    I did PJFT in october and got my date in December

6. Lanky Bean

Lanky Bean New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Myself and a colleague are intending to make it onto the YO 2019 batch. Both of us have passed PJFT and waiting for interviews, mine is a couple of days, any last minute advice from those who have had a sift recently? Even just an idea of the questions would be appricated.
    Cheers gents

7. green_beret0710

App Stage:
    Passed Medical
    Obviously there are the usual questions i.e. why do you want to join? why officer? role of an officer etc.
    They will also ask for examples of leadership experience and morale courage, at least mine did, similar to the questions asked on the OAQ.
    You will be asked whether you think you could take a life.
    They might also ask you for the definition of leadership/management.
    Also it would help to be up to date with current affairs, where the Navy is deployed at the moment and why, as well as knowledge of your training pipeline as they will expect you to know a phase by phase breakdown of YO training.

Other than that, just be confident and be yourself, best of luck mate.

• Like Like x 2
  8. BillyTheKid

BillyTheKid Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Extra points can be earned for showing a wide interest in the RN activities such as fishery disputes in the channel, acknowledging submarines are operating around the globe secretly and also the recent events of Gavin Williamson giving the go ahead with RN support against migrants crossing to the UK illegally (I believe its HMS Mersey)

9. Boathouse

Boathouse New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Since I've almost definitely missed the 2019 intake (only applied yesterday because I stupidly waited until I was fit enough before applying instead of using the time between application and the PJFT to get fit), what is my best course of action over the next year and a bit? Will I still be able to attend a POC and AIB this year and then be ready for intake in 2020 or is it a case of waiting until next year to do everything?

Is there a suggested course of action for people in this situation? I have job offers upon leaving uni (from old placements/ part time work) but would like to do whatever I can to improve my chances of getting through the various selection stages and on to RMO training. Besides keeping up with phys, is there anything else I can do?

10. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    @Ninja_Stoker or @CHUB! will be able to give you the definitive answer but I am pretty sure the POC and AIB passes only last for a year and as such would have to be completed after Sep 19. That being said, getting the medical etc out of the way earlier would be useful as it will highlight any issues you may not be aware of (this in itself can be an epic).

As to what to do while you are waiting, you are still reasonably young and as such I would suggest you get out and do some activities that will aid your application. Anything that involves volunteering, travel, self-reliance and most importantly leadership (you will be asked about this on your application) will stand you in good stead.

Do not worry about the military side of things. CTC will teach you everything you need to know and in some cases a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing!

Above all, be patient. Do not allow your head to be turned for short term expediency.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Boathouse

Boathouse New Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Part of my reason for applying to the Royal Marines is that it fits well with what I already love to do. I spend a lot of time in Brecon and Scotland in all weather yomping around (making the most of it while my knees still allow). It's nothing on the level of any serving RM I'd guess - but it's a start and I reckon that shows pretty good self reliance, planning ability and a willingness to take on responsibility.

Regarding leadership, I'm going for an assessment for my civi Mountain Leader course this summer. I am not doing this for my RM application, but would it be a good thing to mention anyway?

I think this is the important thing to keep reminding myself. I've already considered switching my application to an OR one - but honestly I have no idea if that's for me. I've seen the documentaries that are on Youtube etc but I'm not looking on them with any seriousness at all. I'll try and arrange a look at life or similar and chat to some of the lads at the unit to get a better feel for it before making a decision. I come from a family of ex-Army (imagine the stick I get) so I don't have anyone I can chat with regarding RM day-to-day life. Any suggestions on this front?

I've had an Army reserve medical in the last 2 years (when starting OTC). Does this change anything going forward?

I really do appreciate you taking the time to provide advice; thank you.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Perfect, that's exactly the sort of thing they are after. Make sure you actually use the qual rather than just collect badges (leadership opportunity)! Map reading is a big issue (especially for Officers...notoriously rubbish when study a map) so hopefully you will have a good headstart.

Nothing wrong with going OR, but don't do it if it is just because you are being impatient, you will always regret it!

Lots of info on this forum but the RM offer 'look at life courses'. Your AFCO will be able to point you in the right direction.

The fact you've already passed a medical means there are unlikely to be any bars to joining the RM. You will, however, have to go through the whole thing again as the medical is non-transferable.

13. F_W_m0

F_W_m0 New Member

App Stage:
    Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone knows what date the FSB is likely to be?

I realise it can change and be pushed back but curious if any one was told at AIB or by their AFCO when it was planned to be.

Cheers

14. JF1310

JF1310 New Member

App Stage:
    Hi mate,

I was told at AIB it would be 11th July, however, as you've mentioned this can be pushed back at the last minute. Although from what I'm seeing and hearing, it would seem that no extra POC's are being added this year so it's likely that it'll be 11th July all being well!

15. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

From memory in past years the FSB decisions have been distributed by snail mail towards the third week of July. Sometimes the AFCOs get an earlier notification.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  16. sharkie452

sharkie452 New Member

App Stage:
    Yeah i've had a letter saying its 11th july

• Like Like x 1
  17. F_W_m0

F_W_m0 New Member

App Stage:
    Ok, thank you guys!

18. dodgyknees

dodgyknees Active Member

App Stage:
    Parent
    Just to manage expectations. The results are sent out by snail mail and as such can take two or three very long and frustrating days to arrive! Some have reported ringing their AFCO for an early heads up on the results but it appears to be a bit patchy as to whether or not they are happy to release the info.

Good luck to you all!

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. anon1234

anon1234 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    If you missed out on selection (on the reserve list), and went for the next Batch, what stages of the application process do you have to re-do?

Would appreciate any help or info! Thanks

20. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Someone better qualified than I will be able to answer your specific question but if you are on the reserve list for 2019 be mindful that 'reserves' have been offered a place on a Batch in the early weeks of training. Some otherwise high achievers who did make the final cut decide that it really isn't for them and opportunities arise for others.

• Like Like x 3