YO Batch 2015

Discussion in 'POC Section' started by Charlie13, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Charlie13

Charlie13 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Just thought I'd create a thread for those going for the 2015 batch as I am. I've currently passed my recruit test and eye test. Where is everyone else up to? How is training going? Anyone got any tips for the sift?

2. BrigRat

BrigRat Well-Known Member

I've got my Sift in a couple of weeks. I failed previously and from that I'd just say; stay calm, be collected, know what your own qualities are and think of examples of them, know your naval knowledge, know your current affairs, know the terms of service. Leadership and teamwork examples are also vital.

Oh, I almost forgot, that generic and absolutely useless advice - "Be yourself!"

• Like Like x 1
  3. Titan6

Titan6 New Member

Same. Had my eye test last week and I've got my medical in a couple of weeks.

4. Charlie13

Charlie13 New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Thanks great advice. Good luck

5. TKG

TKG New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    What current affairs questions did they ask you?

6. BrigRat

Thanks!

Back then at the start of the year, I think it was what's happening in the Carribean and I think there was a question about Libya. Just know trouble spots (I'd personally revise the ebola outbreak and the RN and British response as a whole, IS' war in Iraq and Britain's response, maybe even te Ukraine crisis and just the usual aforementioned Carribean and also South Atlantic. If a Carribean question gets asked now, don't forget to add apart from regular patrols and counter narcotics missions the RN ship HMS Argyll helped deliver aid to Bermuda after Hurricane Gonzalo. The same ship recently seized £10 million worth of cocaine, making her total in this deployment £21 million and helping a country get back on its feet.

• Gucci Info Gucci Info x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  7. sparky12nick

sparky12nick New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Gentlemen - There is more than enough information of the type of questions in SIFT.

You could most likely get the vast majority of the actual questions off here since the officer interviewing you will use a script. Feel free to ask away but make sure you revise you Naval and Royal Marine knowledge as well as your current affairs.

All the best for what will hopefully be a thrilling and successful journey.

The guys that I know that made the batch of 2014 are seriously great lads.

• Like Like x 3
  8. JohnDoe

JohnDoe Active Member

RFA came up in mine, weapons, officer training process month by month.

• Like Like x 1
  9. DD

DD Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Best of luck gents.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BrigRat

Yeah same here actually!

Know major exercises done in training at the very least and what they roughly involve.

11. Langa please?

Langa please? Well-Known Member

I've passed my SIFT and currently waiting for an injury to subside before stepping training back up to smash my PJFT. It's grim being injured as I feel I'm stuck in a rut but we all have speed bumps along the way!

As for tips for SIFT, think about why you want to be a Royal Marine and specifically an Officer, what are your strengths and weaknesses and so forth. Revise your naval knowledge, ships, weaponry, commando 21 structure and key personalities. Keep calm, the interviewer wants to pass you so let them!

12. BrigRat

Just to add something else.

The Globe and Laurel is excellent for keeping up to date with current unit movements, commanders, RSMs and the sort of exercises and interesting things that go on in the Corps.

• Like Like x 2
    • Gucci Info Gucci Info x 1
  13. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  14. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

Yep, there are some good RM Articles too.

For those that missed it, a screenshot from Octobers edition:

Navy News Royal Marines Monopoly.jpg
    For those that want to buy the Royal Marines 350 edition monopoly (An absolutely Hoofing pass out present, I'm told....:) ) : http://royalmarinesshop.com/royal-marines-350th-anniverary-edition-monopoly.html

15. DD

DD Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
  16. StandyGreen

StandyGreen New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Just started the process recently - RT booked for next Thursday morning and looking forward to moving on down the pipeline!

17. "freddie"

"freddie" Former Royal Marines SNCO.

DQ's if it's old school, or MCTC if new school. ;)

18. Ludo

Ludo New Member

Hi all,

Just started the application process myself.
    Doing my RT next week.
    Quick question....any possible timescale for PJFT and SIFT?
    I am working on my fitness and knowledge but would be great to hear timescales that people have experienced or if anyone could project possible PJFT and SIFT dates.

Thanks

19. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

It's entirely feasible to crack the test medical, pjft & sift in a couple of months if you push things forward.

Good luck.

20. sparky12nick

sparky12nick New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I wrote my Recruit Test on the 2nd of April. Completed my medical on the 8th of April followed by my SIFT interview in late April.

PJFT delays were due to raised blood pressure and then I attended - although unsuccessfully - the final POC for the 2014 Batch on the 23rd of June.

Try to get your recruit test, medical, and SIFT out of the way.
    My Careers advisor was relieved when I passed my medical first time as that is where the majority of delays seem to occur.

My situation was due to moving to the UK from Overseas, and I brought over thorough medical notes from before.
    It may be feasible to do it in a few months but why rush.

Either way, get cracking.
    All the best.