YO or recruit?

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If an individual passed POC, AIB and was offered a place in YO training, would it be foolish to turn it down in favour of joining as a recruit?

I ask because I think I am capble of entering officer training but i'm worried that if entered YO training and failed I would be unable to join the corps at all.

What does everyone think?

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
If you can join as officer go for it mate.

And from reading other posts in this forum, if you fail the POC, then you can still join as a regular ( don't hold me too it )

Mat

Reaction score
Yep id say go for the best you possibly can, dont sell yourself short if you think you can be an Officer. Im certain even if you fail you can still apply as a recruit, one of the more knowledgeable members will be able to give you a more accurate answer in that regard.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I think entering YO training is the ultimate opportunity although i've heard that if you fail training as an officer you're out, no 2nd chances. Also, there is no Hunter troop because there only 1 batch per year. I know I shouldn't set myself up for failure but I don't want to miss out on getting my green lid either

RossRobObey

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sure it's; if you fail POC OR AIB, you have one more chance at being an Off. if you cock up the second attempt you an join as a recruit.

However if you get into YO training and get back-trooped, well effectively kick out, then you cannot join as a recruit - Game Over.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
cor thats really risky, slightly putting me off wanting to be an officer, because if i get a injury and i most likely will due to my over pronation i wont be able to be a marine at all.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I know mate, it's very risky. Don't know if it's worth the gamble or not...

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
yeah same now. i think im not qualified for officer anyway so i will just work my way up through the ranks from the bottom.

RH

Reaction score
either way mate you will be a royal marine :D

robj

Reaction score
However if you get into YO training and get back-trooped, well effectively kick out, then you cannot join as a recruit - Game Over.
Any ideas on why this is, just out of interest? The training up to and including the commando tests is exactly the same as normal recruit training (isn't it?) apart from the timings, so it'd make sense to be able to 'transfer'.
I'm sure there's a valid reason why they don't allow it but it seems like they could be wasting people that would be valuable assets to us.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
If an individual passed POC, AIB and was offered a place in YO training, would it be foolish to turn it down in favour of joining as a recruit?

I ask because I think I am capble of entering officer training but i'm worried that if entered YO training and failed I would be unable to join the corps at all.

What does everyone think?
STOP!

No-one has said it's not possible to join as an Other Rank if someone fails RM Officer training, having joined as an Officer.

If anyone were to join as an Other Rank, complete Commando training, then get recommended for Officer, pass POC & AIB only to fail Officer Training then it should not be expected to be reverted automatically to Other Rank. Each case is judged on individual merit & it very much depends on why the individual failed Officer training.

If someone joins the Corps as a direct entry RM Officer, fails training & is subsequently discharged, then depending on the reason for discharge, there is nothing to stop the individual re-applying to join as an Other Rank.

Don't get confused with the rules regarding direct entry as an Officer & Corps Commission, they are quite different.

Duffy1

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, thanks Ninja. That's set my mind at ease a bit. Good to know that if I failed officer training all would not be lost.

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I dont get what is do fansinating about wering pips on your chest anyhu. Stripys are much more fun i mean resantly the funeral of another bootneck stripy 5 woman all turned up claming to be his significant other, dont get that from officers :P