YO to nod re-join

Liffguard

Reaction score
Back in 2010 I was fortunate enough to pass the AIB, get offered a place and begin training with the 2010 batch. Unfortunately I didn't complete training (got to week 32). I struggled with a lot of things though overall it was a positive experience. I still want a military career and I've looked at a variety of options. One option would be to try as an officer in a different service, either army or RAF regiment. I've started applications for both but I'm almost certain to miss the age cut-off for Sandhurst and I'm not really sure if the RAF regiment is for me.

The other option is to return to lympstone for recruit training. Again, I've started the application and I've got a PRMC on May 1st. Obviously a lot of the training will be very similar. Phys will be the same, all of the drills and skills will be the same. I'm just curious as to what aspects would be different, not so much in the training itself but the atmosphere and culture.

If someone put a gun to my head right now and made me choose between recruit training or officer training in another service I'd probably choose recruit training. I already know I can get through 32 weeks of training and in the time since I left I've been specifically working on the weaknesses that let me down the first time. And ot be perfectly honest, I just really want that green lid, even more than the increased pay and other benefits that would come from being an officer. I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or a perspective I hadn't considered?

GingerjoeRM

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I think you're making the right decision being a Nod. Not everyone is cut out to be an officer. A Rm nco career may be on the cards, that's better pay(than a standard marine), green beret and the lifestyle.

Kentish

Reaction score
I don't think this is something anyone can give you an answer to. We can all help to advise you, however it's a question you must decide yourself.

Why is there not the option of attempting YO again (or are you unable to again if you have ended your commission)?

What is it, specifically that makes you entertain the idea of a commission in another service? Are these stronger than your desire to be part of the RM?

How do you feel about the prospect of (narrow mindedly put), being taught to be a pawn and follow orders, as opposed to being part of the decision and planning of said orders?

Might not help, but could possibly help put things into perspective. Good luck.

Liffguard

Reaction score
I don't think this is something anyone can give you an answer to. We can all help to advise you, however it's a question you must decide yourself.

Why is there not the option of attempting YO again (or are you unable to again if you have ended your commission)?
Too old. Well, not quite, but I'd have to make the 2012 batch and given the application process took 18 months the first time that's pretty unlikely.

What is it, specifically that makes you entertain the idea of a commission in another service? Are these stronger than your desire to be part of the RM?
I'd be lying if I said the pay wasn't one consideration. The other is that I genuinely enjoyed parts of the planning and command process. On the other hand, there were also parts of it I really struggled with, and the stuff I found harder were the more important parts.

How do you feel about the prospect of (narrow mindedly put), being taught to be a pawn and follow orders, as opposed to being part of the decision and planning of said orders?
Like I said above, parts of the planning process appealed to me, but other parts didn't and I never had any problem just getting on with the job in training when I wasn't in a command appointment. I won't have any problem with it in the job itself.

Might not help, but could possibly help put things into perspective. Good luck.
Thanks, it's stuff to think about at least.

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
One option would be to try as an officer in a different service, either army or RAF regiment. I've started applications for both but I'm almost certain to miss the age cut-off for Sandhurst and I'm not really sure if the RAF regiment is for me.

The other option is to return to lympstone for recruit training.
Looks like the decision is already made as much by default as by choice.

It's unusual for a YO to be withdrawn/or withdraw from training at a relatively advanced stage then wish to rejoin and be considered suitable to rejoin as an Other Rank.

Testament to the individual in being mature enough to leave without feeling aggrieved and leaving the door firmly wedged open, flammable bridges intact - it would usually indicate the reason for not completing YO training was perhaps affected by outside factors beyond simple inability.

One of the obvious considerations, undoubtedly already pondered - After successfully completing RM OR training, what of the prospect of being under the command of one or several of your fellow 'batch' members & being able to maintain the required deference without question or undermining their authority?

It's doubtful there will be thoughts or perspectives not already considered, but the only thing to maybe consider a little deeper is how you would have felt leaving YO training at week 32 on a Friday & starting RM OR Recruit Training from scratch on the following Monday? The only difference now, is you're doing just that, albeit with a bigger gap but your YO batch will have passed-out before you join.