Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

YO training query

Discussion in 'RM Officer questions' started by thundernerd, Feb 9, 2017.

1. thundernerd

thundernerd Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Hi all

Still a fair bit off getting there but one thing has been in my mind which I struggle to get my head around or find any information about anywhere.

What happens in YO training if you do not pass a specific element of training?

I know that if you join as a commando and fail an element then it's simple, you get back-trooped, but the only information on this I have seen is that the YO batch that you join with will be the one you pass out with.

I don't want people to think I am beginning on a negative tone by thinking about failure but we all have bad days and things don't always go our way.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Admin

Which bit specifically, are you planning on failing?

If you fail something, you'll be invited to revisit it a couple of times. Most criteria tests are "three strikes and out". The Officer's course has more flexibility due to duration but if you are blundering about early days, they are less likely to consider paying you a wage for best part of a year until the next YO batch catches you up. Likewise injuries - if you are planning on breaking something, do it after the half-way stage of training rather than in the first week.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PotentialToff

PotentialToff Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    An officer told me there are a few different options out there. Some young officers can get through certain part of their training faster than others and become troop commanders especially if they stay injury free. So if you fail something it just means you will redo it (as long as you have a realistic chance of passing) otherwise you'll be kicked out if you aren't showing the correct ethos.

If you pick up an injury depending on the severity you may be (if you're a top bloke) allowed to recover and rejoin the batch or back batched and spend basically a year in hunter. Got told a story of a YO who spent 4 years in hunter then was let go.

However we were told there is an emphasis in the batch that if you are useless and not performing to standard you'll be let go and they hand out warnings like candy.

4. thundernerd

thundernerd Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Thanks Ninja

I certainly don't intend on failing any element but just had a set back with the PJFT. It just made me think about the 'what-if'scenario.

I will openly admit that I probably wasn't as well prepared for this stage as I could've been and maybe good that a set back has happened now to address my focus and how badly do I want this - which is enormously!

5. PotentialToff

PotentialToff Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hard luck on the pjft, where did you slip?

6. thundernerd

thundernerd Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I got to the half way mark on the return and my quads died. They were literally screaming at me and I was in so much pain. I battled through for a bit but then it just became too much.

What are you TMU for? I was PMU before but won an appeal

7. PotentialToff

PotentialToff Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I was tmu for a mistaken identity. I've had that over turned. I have the pjft booked at the end of this month. So looking towards that.

8. PotentialToff

PotentialToff Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Anyway tough luck with the pjft, I see your 25 so need that squared away fast. Where are you based

9. thundernerd

thundernerd Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    I'm North Yorkshire so applying through the Hull branch. How about yourself?

• Like Like x 1
  10. EdV

EdV Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Hey thundernerd, I'm applying through Hull branch (and also will be 25 when I start training), waiting to hear about my medical. Hopefully both get everything squared off and join at the same time! Good luck with it mate

11. PotentialToff

PotentialToff Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I'm up north on the Edinburgh AFCO, I'm 23 right now but will be 24 in July. So probably only a year between us. Anyway good luck to everyone with the applications!