Yomping with a pack

evo360

Reaction score
does anyone bother yomping with a bergen. I havent heard it being mentioned here and I would have thought that it will help massively for endurance. I have been told by an of ex- para and a serving marine that the hiking/ yomping with a pack will help and it is a huge benefit.

Roddie

Reaction score
Your not suppost to RUN with a pack, before your RT. But yomping, I guess so yeah. It does help, I did 35 Ten Tors last year, and it got me mega fit!

evo360

Reaction score
I would never recommend running with a pack myself, what sort of weight suggest using?

Tin

Reaction score
hay i got a bit bored just running after a mouth.
so i got a rucksack and just stared putting in 1 or 2 kg of sand in it.
and with in say 2 mouths my fitness dubbeld.

but dont put to much in because ull end up hearting *text deleted* lower back.

Jas

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Tin said:
hay i got a bit bored just running after a mouth.
so i got a rucksack and just stared putting in 1 or 2 kg of sand in it.
and with in say 2 mouths my fitness dubbeld.

but dont put to much in because ull end up hearting *text deleted* lower back.
Is that running with a couple of Kg's on your back or yomping?

Tin

Reaction score
running but at a slower pace, well thats what i do.
really its all up to u, but what ever u do dont put to much in it mit seem lite but after about 5min its kills *text deleted*.

james1432

Reaction score
i started doing a simalar thing, i load mi bergan up with a couple of 14 pound dumb bell weights(not on bar) and go for a walk around the local farmland footpaths for around 40min running on flat sections and tackling as many hills as poss.mi shoulders were killing after so if nothing else it gets you used to running with a bergan which has to be a good thing.. :)

Ninja_Stoker

Admin
Reaction score
Just to re-iterate guys, as advised by CTC.

Walking is fine, but don't run as you are putting extra stress on your joints & if you twist an ankle, get shin-splints or damage a joint, you will compound the injury if carrying weight. (It only takes 15lb of pressure to break a collar bone). Remember you're training to pass PRMC at this stage, not pass the Commando Tests.

lord_carl

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I wouldent recomend it but on a counter argument if you improving running with a burgan on when u come to take it off and start running you will find a massive improvment BUT a counter counter argument is to just run on grass or sand and it has the same effects when u get back on the road

C