Young YO's

S

Sotiris

Sir,

If you successfuly complete all your YO training at the age of 16/17 what are your duties until you get deployed to the front line when you "come of age"?

Thank you.

Seedytucker

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to butt in but YO training is 14 months long and you need at least A' levels to get in, i don't think it would be possible to complete YO training at 16/17...

S

Sotiris

I see what you mean but what I'm getting at is if you graduate as a YO before you are legally allowed to serve on the front line what are your duties.

D

Deleted

I see what you mean but what I'm getting at is if you graduate as a YO before you are legally allowed to serve on the front line what are your duties.
That's impossibe as the minimum age is 17, and training takes 15 months (I believe), meaning that if you had only just turned 17 when you started training, you would pass out at 18 and go straight into what any other Officer who just passed out would do.

S

Sotiris

Ah, oh really? I thought the minimum age was 16. Thanks problem solved.

Touchstone

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Yeas, you cannot undertake training under the age of 17. I haven't heard of any 17 year old's enter YO training, but it may happen. It is possible to move ahead a year or two and do your A levels early. I've heard of a few people start degrees at 16 and 17. In fact my uncle started his (Physics) degree at the age of 17, not sure why though.

Reaction score
I have never heard of a YO starting training any younger than 18. In most cases you are not mature enough at this age.