Your favourite war films

Discussion in 'Jollies Bar' started by Hyperhippo, Dec 14, 2015.

1. JulietHotel

JulietHotel New Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test
    Stepping back in time a bit.. The Last Samurai. A little cheesy and cliche at times but the whole Samurai/Bushido culture is fascinating IMHO

2. Gromit

Gromit Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    One of my favourite war films, with a spectacular theme song:

• Like Like x 1
    • Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  3. Rover

Rover Moderator

The list of names at the end is rather thought provoking.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  4. EdV

EdV Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Not a film about British or US forces, but Beasts Of No Nation on Netflix is amazing. Got Idris Elba in it and is about child soldiers in Africa. Has some pretty harrowing footage but the acting, even from the children, is very good.

5. Deja vu

Deja vu Member

I have a few to recommend :

Body of lies.

Leo DiCaprio spying in middle east.

Kajaki.

Paratroopers trapped in a minefield during Afghanistan.

Proof of Life.

Russell Crowe, ex SAS hostage negotiator, although has strong romance story arc the raid bits are good.

6. DD

DD Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Recruiting Test

• Like Like x 1
  7. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

Lawrence of Arabia.
    Directed by David Lean and starring Peter O'Toole. Based upon the actual guerilla warfare exploits of T.E. Lawrence back in the early twentieth century when it was considered by some to be 'ungentlemanly'. The film soundtrack is good too. The digitally remastered version is particularly vivid.

As an aside, yesterday (19 May) was the anniversary of T.E. Lawrence's death in 1935. The image below pinched from The T.E. Lawrence Society's FB page:

TE_Lawrence.jpg

8. Ninja_Stoker

Ninja_Stoker Careers Adviser

The thing I always remember about TE Lawrence is not so much his untimely death, but the motorcycle, a Brough Superior. Second only in my aspiration to own a Vincent Black Shadow.

• Gen Dit Gen Dit x 1
  9. Chelonian

Chelonian Well-Known Member

The Vincent and the Brough are on my wish list too. Lawrence's named all his Brough Superiors 'George'. Lawrence was riding George VI (no, seriously...) when he crashed in May 1935 which led to his death several days later. The Brough factory was building George VII for him at the time. Obviously it was never delivered.

Pictured below is the restored 'George VI' Brough Superior outside Lawrence's home in Dorset. Image again pinched from T.E. Lawrence Society's FB page:

George_VI.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. Fibonarchie

Fibonarchie Active Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Heartbreak ridge. Can't beat it.
    Big fan of dam busters, the great escape and a bridge too far. Still have all the TV series' of colditz recorded on VHS from when I was 8! Unfortunately no longer own a VHS player :(.

• Like Like x 1
  11. OldmanL

OldmanL Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Anyone seen The Thin Red Line ? Pretty long film ( not seen it for a while ) but its a good WW2 movie, Jim Caviezel's acting is great in it, got a pretty star studded cast as well !