your first max push-ups

Trace

Reaction score
just wondering what everyones first max push-ups was, as this last week or so ive been struggling to reach 4 =S

RossRobObey

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
If we're talking Marine style, about 20.

Normal about 60.

MasoN

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Alright mate, only last august i couldn't hold myself in the pressup position let alone do one.. i'm now doing 17-18 marine style, so don't feel too bad!

Leedham

Reaction score
was supprised at how much harder marine press ups are compared to normall press ups when i first started them. could manage about 30 normal one but only about 12 with ma elbows in (marine style).

Doesnt take too long to become better at them if you train hard, so trace im sure that your 4 will be turned into 40 in no time mate!

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I find it hard to tuck my elbows in aswell, a big lung buster.

ZZ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
first ever max out close arm was 15 - 20, and for some reason i find close arm press ups slightly easier than wide arm, probably because i only do close arm and very rarley do some wide arm.

Commando Kennedy

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Marine style!!

i don't *text deleted* sound like i *text deleted* everything here but u do no *text deleted* elbows dont have 2 b TUCKED in like really tight..i spoke 2 RM PTI he sed *text deleted* elbows should naturally rest around *text deleted* sides not out far..tht doesnt mean tuck them in until they hurt!! *text deleted*...last month or longer i could only do bout 20 "marine" press ups but now am banging out 55-60 quite comfortably...i found doing pull ups and close arm press ups helped me with "marine" press ups...:)

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
yer i find marine ones easier well now anyways old ones seem hard to do now.

M

MTW

its strange, just tryed out that 100 pressups thing on the net, and i can do more in perfect form doing that, than doing 3 sets to fail. seeme a pretty good way.

Mat

Reaction score
when I started I was doing about 20 marine style and around 50 normal, I started to do 3 sets of 20 every morning (apart from Sunday) and now im on 60 first set and then 30, 30, 30 so im pretty happy with the improvement so far but I still want to do better and get the time between sets down. With the running becoming part of my training again im running before I do my circuits with a few mins break between which hopefully will improve my fitness.
Ive not tried that 100 press ups site, might give it a go and see if it helps.

Mack15

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
ye i think the site is a good way to get your press ups increased, the schedule is all worked out to your performace on press ups which i think is very useful

CommandoJ

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
i think it works,

went on it first time started it for a week, then i didnt so i started again, then i didnt so i am hoping third time lucky i will be able to stick at it.

i always not forget to do pressups its just i forget to go on the site to find out. :P

i think a sticky note is in order.

Ashley

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I do 30 everytime I wait for the kettle to boil and I do 40 before I go for a shower and I do 40 before bed

I don't dare count how many I do in a day.

M

MTW

the website thing really works well, i think its just that your never doing press ups to fail, i used to do about 3 sets of 20 and fail at te last one, now i can do the whole 10 then 8 then 7 etc etc and then do 20 on top of that when i finished, works out at 75 instead of 60, and didnt fail even on the last 20 after i did the piramid from 10 and still fell like i could do more, so im sticking to this now, seems like it makes sense. chuffed

greenlid

Reaction score
I find it much easier to do the 'marine' style ones with you're hands closer together and elbows tucked right in, then doing them slightly wider. Can bag out about 55 'marine' style pressups, but only about 35 wider arm ones.

spiderman

Reaction score
Alright Trace when i first ever attempted the marine style press ups i could just about do 5. I improved my score by just practicing them mate whenever you get the chance just hit the dirt and max them out and they will come along nicely plus the circuits helped a lot. All the best. p.s how are your pull ups coming along?

spiderman

South

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
for some reason i find close arm press ups slightly easier than wide arm, probably because i only do close arm and very rarley do some wide arm.

Same here mate... i hate wide arm pressups now!