Dismiss Notice
'Users of this forum are reminded they should not discuss performance of individual attendees at PRMC or in Recruit Training for PERsonal SECurity and in observance of Diversity & Inclusion legislation'.

Your last session/workout!

Discussion in 'Training Methods and Diet Suggestions' started by m2013, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Manuallabour

Manuallabour New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Today’s phys:

Gainers-
    Swimming-
    x5 20m laps of front crawl, best effort. Repeat 4 times.

2. Manuallabour

Manuallabour New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    I find breastroke quite easy, so I usually break my swims down into something like 5 laps of front crawl and then 2 recovery laps of breaststroke.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thechancer

Thechancer Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Is gainer literally like 3 sets of 35?
    What’s the rest period for this?

4. Manuallabour

Manuallabour New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    @Thechancer

Essentially yes it is.

I prefer to do 25 press ups, 35 sit ups, 6 pull ups, then take a minute rest. After that repeat for the last two sets.

Obviously add however many reps you can each day

• Like Like x 1
  5. Something Original

Something Original New Member

I've just finished my swin set for this week, and I find it has been my best at increasing my aerobic abilities.

Tl:dr - 1/8 warm up, 1/4 best effort distance, 1/8 kick, 1/8 arms, 1/4 Accumulating Sprints, (1l, 2l, 3l, 4l sets done to a time limit based around what your fastest single length sprint is) 1/8 Cool Down.

If you don't have a pair of goggles, I seriously suggest looking into getting a pair. A leisure centre will sell you a pair for a fiver most likely, or you can look on amazon. You can properly put your head down, and go hell for leather in there. The problem with it is that it's not specific training (few calls for swimming an Individual Medley i think in RT or as GD), but it is low impact, and can be used for a still decent intensity on a rest day. You may find it better to end a gym session that way, but I find that cramps and DOMS set in after gym if I don't cool down and stretch properly, but then need to warm up the now cooled and relaxed muscles for a swim due to the different needs and movment done there.

I have a 25m pool, and have an excellent swimbuddy who I can chase, which is helpful, as well as safe, provoding they are specifically looking after you if you some anaerobic/underwater lengths.

The only stroke you need that I've seen during RT is breaststroke, and forgive me if I'm wrong, but that is geared up as well, so there isn't much call for getting speed up that way. I don't know the phys behind it, but Frontcrawl, and Fly are the two strokes which get me going the hardest so I only focus on those, and there isn't much point learning fly if you don't already know it.

Make sure you know how to breaststroke, you don't need to be Adam Peatty, Michael Phelps or Free Willy I'm guessing, but knowing the stroke and how to stay afloat doing it just means you can focus on doing it at speed, and rigged up. DO NOT attempt to do it in a set of overalls or boots, especially not if you don't have someone there with you. You are under the 'watchful' gaze of bored, minimum wage teenagers who spent 3 hours learning how to break 'Annies' ribs then forgot it all 6 months ago, who will be trying to pull a 12+ stone guy out, wearing another 40lbs of water logged overalls. At least at CTC, you will be trained, and under the direct supervision of the staff, and someone will be able to pull you out, and do a proper heartstart if something goes wrong.

Similar for anaerobic swimming/underwater lengths. Don't bother, just hold your breath whole running full pelt on treadmill for 30seconds, with a 15sec rest, and at least your natural reflex to breathe should you pass out will not have you swallowing plaster ridden, urine flavoured water. At least do it with a capable swimmer doing conventional swimming alongside you.

Also, take water, or your other non fizzy energy drink of choice with you. You are exercising for a decent amount of time of very high intensity. Take on water to keep yoirself topped up.

It is tempting to glide and get big push offs fro. The side. While it is a massive boon for swimming, and doing half a length on a single pusjoff says wonders for the box jumps, squats, deadlifts, and calf raises you do in the gym, it isn't helping your fitness any. The Navy SEALs apparently have to jump in, and tumble turn underwater before setting off on their swimming exercises: if you can do that, try it, if not, push off with your hands only and forget your legs exist during a turn, and don't kick until you are well clear.

Foodwise, try not to anything too much beforehand, just like any other exercise done - but doing it hungry isn't brilliant either. Better to have a solid/crunchy high fat/protein snack beforehand if you can, or something that provides some carbs later like a breakfast bar.

Common Sense aside, swimming routine for me usually works on the following on 1.5hr session. Adopt as you need. The gosl is to be almost constantly swimming, your recovery can be active, rather than being stood like a lemon at the end of the length)

20 min Warm Up (70% Aerobic)
    30 min Full Effort/Sprints (virtually no rest for this time - at best 5-10 seconds every 2 lengths, after each set - i.e 8 length set, 20-40 secs rest - repeat for 30+mins - imagine it as the time spent on doing the BFT, except in water, and twice through, 85%+)
    10 min kick only (try to perfect your kick technique, this at least will power your core and similar muscles that you will use during RT for sit ups and push ups - ask to borrow a board, or amazon it for a fiver
    10 min arms only/resistance drill (can be switched around with legs if you want to improve your arm pull strength and backs: front crawl resistance drill is literally jist punching the water and pulling with a clenched fist - you look ridiculous, and it hurts, perfect for RT prep - fly drill is exactly the same but works the back a bit more to salmon yourself out of the water, which might indrectly assist with pullups)
    20min sprint gradients (do one length, fast as possible, and count up to your next 5sec interval, i.e 22sec length is 25sec, 26 is 30 sec, 29 is 30 sec. Now, do a set which goes 1l, 2l, 3l, 4l (so 10l total). Each length must be completed in the time you have allowed yourself for one length, multiplied by how many lengths you are doing. I. E 1st l = 30secs, 2nd l = 60 secs, 3rd = 90, 4th = 120. There is no other rest available. If you go over, go immediately into the next lengths and go fast as possible to catch up. The harder you swim, the more recovery you get. You should do tbis around 4 times on a 25m pool. If you can do 4 sets, and finish the 4th length while still having time to slare, go down by 5 seconds next time you do it (so 30sec lengths become 25sec etc)
    10 min cool down. Seriously, use it. Swimming uses muscles in a way our bodies have evolved and contorted themselves into not doing so. Even swimming 1hr a day every day means that it's only 4% of your life spent using muscles in ways your body isn't used to doing. A cooldown doing long slow strokes and pulls (filthy minded nod, get your head out of the gutter) will ease out the stresses. Pools often have a cold shower as well - it may not be pleasant, but it works similar to an ice bath in concept, if not exactly in practise.

Tl:dr - 1/8 warm up, 1/4 best effort distance, 1/8 kick, 1/8 arms, 1/4 Accumulating Sprints, 1/8 Cool Down

6. MozzaLUFC

MozzaLUFC Member

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    yeah i gave it a try without weight and i only got to about 5 before i had to stop, i was doing 10 secs rest each time though.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Thechancer

Thechancer Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Pjft mock passed upset strict conditions
    9:40 return
    5 rounds of
    25 press ups
    30 sit ups
    15 squat and press 12kg log
    20leg lifts
    20dips
    1 min row sprint (only got 4 of these is as someone was using it to lightly warm up)
    Then into
    5 rounds of
    Burpee and press 12kg log
    15 incline power sit ups (slow down, fast up)
    8 pulls ups
    15 squat and twist 12kg log
    15 leg lifts
    20 press ups

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thechancer

Thechancer Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    1.5 mile run at 12mins then into
    200m sprint 1min rest 400m sprint 1:30min rest x 4 on treadmill, at 5:45 pace

30press ups
    30sit ups
    15 squat press 12kg log
    20leg lifts
    20dips
    1min row sprint
    For 5 rounds

30sec long arm plank 30sec rest x 3

• Like Like x 1
  9. bobo

bobo New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Evening lads,
    This morning:
    200m on rower
    Sean Lerwills rest/pause workout

This evening:
    10k run in 50 mins

10. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Haha ouch

As a side note, I think people generally underestimate lifeguards. I think this is why I experience so many competent swimmer adults breaking the pool rules or simply not listening and eventually getting into quite substantial difficulty. One thing I see quite often is competent swimmers attempting hypoxia swimming against the advice of me or the pool rules and then ending up all dizzy grabbing onto the wall.

I know it's a bit of a base level simple job but most lifeguards at private health club pools and certainly all council lifeguards receive a minimum of 2 hours CPR training a month. They are more than capable of performing a heart start. Lifeguards are also capable orf removing a person weighing more than 20 stone from the pool by working together as a team.

Also, there is no way on earth anyone would be let into a public swimming pool wearing boots and 40 pounds of kit, so how anyone would attempt it is somewhat beyond my comprehension

Otherwise, I quite enjoyed your post and found what you wrote about swimming!

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  11. Thechancer

Thechancer Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Makes me feel like I should go to the local pool to organise a drowning for my self, hopefully their awake and pull me out quickly

• Like Like x 1
  12. A350-800

A350-800 Member

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    They do actually stage fake drownings to see if we are awake

• Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  13. Manuallabour

Manuallabour New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Today I just thought K.I.S.S

X4 through:
    4 pull ups to bleep
    15 bastards
    (1:00 rest)

X4 through:
    45 sec plank
    30 sec Russian twists
    (30sec rest)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thechancer

Thechancer Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Pjft mock, passed on time best effort
    (Failed under strict conditions)
    1.5 in 12:05, 1min rest 1.5 9:35 22:45 in all inc rest

1k meter row
    50 pres ups 50 sit ups 50 squats 10 press ups
    Repeat row, but 40 reps
    Then 30 reps
    Wrapped the last row at 500m
    Stopped on 20reps of press ups, sit ups, squats, 10 pull ups

30sec’s long arm plank, 30secs rest x 4

15. Kangarooj

Kangarooj Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    FINALLY got 100kg bench press

• Like Like x 4
  16. Thechancer

Thechancer Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Well done mate but that may not help, good effort though

• Like Like x 1
  17. Kangarooj

Kangarooj Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    I was diagnosed with asthma during my application a few months ago.
    My time ended before it even had a chance to begin mate.
    I powerlift now because its fun, I've been doing it ever since.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hoofin Hoofin x 1
  18. Thechancer

Thechancer Member

App Stage:
    Application Submitted
    Fair play mate, best of luck and well done on the 100kg club

• Like Like x 1
  19. bobo

bobo New Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    So I’ve had a bit of time off from training (mainly due to a combination of England reaching the semis and a lot of Stella, no excuse I know)
    Anyway, I tried a mock pjft and managed a sub 10 minute, happy with that!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Lockheed35

Lockheed35 New Member

App Stage:
    TMU
    Run for 10mins treadmill set at 13kph.
    Press Ups to bleep. 15,15,15,15,15
    Sit Ups to bleep. 20,20,20,15,10
    Pull Ups to bleep. 7,5,5,3,3

With press ups at the moment anything above 30 reps seems to make my front delta burn.

• Like Like x 2