Your last session/workout!

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers for the words above lads!

Just done the session from scratch to completion now so maybe this morning was just an extremely rare mental failure -banghead-

That said, have been more fatigued recently so going to still take an easy week of 1 session per day, but glad to kill this morning's demon.

sbradb

Reaction score
Pretty short and sweet today focusing on the old tests.

All to RMFA test tracks
4x 20 press-ups
4x 30 sit-ups
4x 8 pull-ups
Took about 20-25mins.

Then a 1.5mile run 09:37- absolutely heaving out today having to slow down and dodge people left, right and centre! You’d think the lock down had been completely lifted...

ALDL9RM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
160 goblet squats 24kg
100 KB swings 24kg
100 burpees
200 lunges RL
200 lunges LL
50 TRX pistols each legs

geraltofrivea

Reaction score
100 press ups
100 sit ups
100 burpees
100 squats
100 lunges
[circuit, 4 rounds of 25 reps -- 30 second rest between rounds]

4x10 Pull ups - then negatives as slow as possible until failure.

cheeky 5k Run later in the pm

I hate burpees so much.

LilInac

Reaction score
2 x 1000m 2 x 800m 2 x 600m 2 x 400m 2 x 200m rest=time taken
Feeling a return of shin splints which is absolutely shite so going to have a week off running and see how they feel -banghead-
Know the feeling haha it’s a c—-t hopefully aiming for sprints tmoro. Today 70pusbups doing around 70pusbups 4 days a week, 3 are off since I hit with heavy homemade barbell we’re scraping the barrel using tires for weights !!

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
In the spirit of punishing myself for wrapping yesterday morning, as well as redoing the session from scratch yesterday evening I then decided to go and do a 5k best effort at about 10pm last night and managed to set a PB. Pretty chuffed to have ran a 5k PB (19:50, first time under 20 mins) the same week I ran my first half-marathon.

Rest day today rolling into a slight de-load week as follows:

Monday: AM strength, PM bodyweight circuit

Tuesday: 5-6 miler with strides (short sprints)

Wednesday: AM strength, PM bodyweight circuit

Thursday: AM BFT, PM Bleep Test

Friday: AM strength, PM bodyweight circuit

Saturday: 11 miler

The above plan is a reduction in mileage by about 10 miles through the week, keeping the same amount of strength and conditioning, only focusing on one 'thing' (strength or running) each day. Hopefully it'll be the rest my body is asking for while still being a progressive week of fitness improvement.

stoic_phys

Reaction score
Probably a rest day today, have had a bad week with injury so looking like I will have to delay June 1st intake untill fully healed. Trying to not let it effect my mind and progress in the fitness which I can but it is still a *text deleted* situation.

anon1234

Reaction score
slight de-load week
From my point of view a de-load is a good idea, you need time in the year to recover better, and times to push the limit a bit more, and alternate between harder and easier phases of work depending on when you need to be most ready/fit. Training multiple times/day is great in the build up to something, but year round it'll just fatigue you and probably lead to overuse injury of some kind. All the best

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
From my point of view a de-load is a good idea, you need time in the year to recover better, and times to push the limit a bit more, and alternate between harder and easier phases of work depending on when you need to be most ready/fit. Training multiple times/day is great in the build up to something, but year round it'll just fatigue you and probably lead to overuse injury of some kind. All the best
For sure, good point!

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Aup lads this is probably not the right post for this but could any of you give your opinion on my training plan and what you think of it?

Monday -

Warm up, Bleep test, Press ups, Sit ups & pull ups all to the bleep (mimicking the rmfa) then a PJFT best effort.

Tuesday - Rest day

Wednesday -

Football training ( 30 mins physical 30 min ball work) light session.

Thursday -

Lower body circuit. (45 seconds on 15 seconds off)

Jumping squats, alternating lunges, dumbbell swings, left foot glute bridge, right foot glute bridge, side lunge, fast squats, calf raises, duck walks, 90* hold. 3 min rest. 2-3 rounds.

Friday - 8 miler < 8 min mile.

Saturday - rest

Sunday -

(AM) Fintan circuit

(PM) Upper body circuit

Pull ups, Push ups, Sit ups, Crunches, rkc Plank in a circuit fashion.

I also try and do pull ups press ups and sit ups low reps high volume and rest time sporadically through the week to get in total reputations. A lot to read there but I’d appreciate feed back, cheers.
I can’t add anything training wise that your doing all looks good to me with the rest days at good points which allow recovery which is always good

What’s your current stats like with the main criteria?

bft , press/sit/pullups bleep test ?

The one thing i will add and you won’t like it if your heart is set on the marines you need to stop playing football.
I’ve seen a fair few nasty injuries in my time and played with a couple of boys who can’t play anymore due to severe snaps (tibia/fibia) and were only in there early 20s when this happened!
Got another mate who rolled over on his ankle on the astro turf going for the ball cant play for 3 years.
It killed me to stop playing it but it will only take one bad tackle or an injury to yourself playing it and that could be your application over so just think about that.

good luck

Chelonian

Reaction score
The one thing i will add and you won’t like it if your heart is set on the marines you need to stop playing football.
Agreed. It's a a simple matter of priorities and risk assessment.

One forum user here passed his PRMC and was given a start date for RT. He then sustained a knee injury playing for his park football team. It was in the balance whether he would require ACL surgery. If it was required his career aspirations would be toast because ACL surgery results in a permanent bar to entry. From memory, surgery was not required but his start date was postponed for a considerable period and he had to jump (no pun intended) through a whole set of medical examinations.

JoeJitsu94

Reaction score
Can anyone offer a good circuit to help with VPJFT? I’m unsure what is best, get at it daily or do other circuits/exercises and do a mock VPJFT weekly and see results

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Agreed. It's a a simple matter of priorities and risk assessment.

One forum user here passed his PRMC and was given a start date for RT. He then sustained a knee injury playing for his park football team. It was in the balance whether he would require ACL surgery. If it was required his career aspirations would be toast because ACL surgery results in a permanent bar to entry. From memory, surgery was not required but his start date was postponed for a considerable period and he had to jump (no pun intended) through a whole set of medical examinations.
‘Yeah your right there I can’t understand why someone would do a contact sport being so close to RT or in general knowing the consequences if it did go pear shaped!
Hopefully it turned out well for that person in the end.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
This is my new workout starting tomorrow for a few weeks.
It’s sort of similar to what I’ve been doing just added a lot more to it as in more of it.
I’ve made some great improvements on the bleep test and feel doing 3x of a lower set has made me improve a lot so I’ll eventually go to 3x level 7 then drop down to 2x level 8/9/10.
I’m still a bit heavy currently at 14 stone 2 (waist 95cm) was 15 stone 11 at the end of March and with pushing 31 in a few months had to be smart about this and do it the right way.
I haven’t added pullups either as the weight I have been carrying has made them difficult and they’ve always been my kryptonite! but ive noticed improvement by doing dead hangs and losing weight is making them more tolerable to a certain degree.
Other than the exercise I’ve provided I cycle a bit in the week which varies between 40 and 60 miles.

Ive added a copy of the bleep test so those who don’t know can see the mileage they cover by doing it level 9 is 1 mile which I wouldn’t have guessed!

Any feedback most welcome!

Attachments

Bootra

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
@Mattys
I would say you need to do some longer runs. Yes you’re doing some distance with the relays followed by hill sprints etc. But it’s not the same as going for a full run, you need to get some 3 milers in and build up the distance.
Also, you say that pull ups are your kryptonite so you’re not doing them. It’s the exact reason you should be doing them! Bin off curls they won’t get you up the ropes, pull ups will. Even if it’s only singles do them, even if you can only do negatives, do them. They should be a staple exercise in any potential Bootnecks workout, so start now.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
@Mattys

Not seeing much in the way of steady runs? Is there a reason for this?

@Mattys
I would say you need to do some longer runs. Yes you’re doing some distance with the relays followed by hill sprints etc. But it’s not the same as going for a full run, you need to get some 3 milers in and build up the distance.
Also, you say that pull ups are your kryptonite so you’re not doing them. It’s the exact reason you should be doing them! Bin off curls they won’t get you up the ropes, pull ups will. Even if it’s only singles do them, even if you can only do negatives, do them. They should be a staple exercise in any potential Bootnecks workout, so start now.

Cheers for the feedback guys much appreciated.

I had a lot of blood treatment last year so only the last 8 weeks I’ve actually started taking it serious again and with me being close to 16 stone at the time and only know shedding the weight it wasn’t smart for me to go jump into straight out running until I had built a base for it as it was asking for trouble.
I had this issue with pullups when I was at pjft stage back in 2018 when I got down to 12 and a half stone I could do pullups but when I was in the 15 stone range couldn’t come close! I feel at this point a lot of it is to do with what my current weight was and when I lose a bit more I will see progress as I ready am with the other things.

Start of April - 7 pressups (arms would just give in) , 22 situps.
I know these are terrible scores and not even worth mentioning but I can currently now do 36 pressups and 58 situps all to the bleep.
I have resistance bands and a pull up station/bar but I’ve been using the scaffolding for the past month doing dead hangs and inverted rows. I’m realistic and know that as long as I’m carrying extra weight it’s going to be very difficult to manipulate my body weight to do pullups as someone who is 8 stone wet doing them!
I know I have a lot to improve on and week by week I’m improving in all areas and I will get there in the end and will always post my scores on here even if there woeful fo others it’s the progression that counts and I don’t expect to be at RT in the next 6 months but as long as I see I’m improving week by week I’ll feel I’ll always have a chance.

Bootra

Royal Marines Commando
Reaction score
@Mattys
Good effort, it’s great to hear that you’re improving and those stats are coming up.
Totally see where you are coming from with building up a base. How about getting the miles in by doing a mixture of running and walking? That, combined with the sprint workouts, will mean the body is getting used to the distances without putting too much stress on your joints, knees etc. And crack out a few pull ups now and then! ;)