Sponsored Ad

Dismiss Notice
For fuller site visibility and advert-free browsing, simply log-in or register.

Your last session/workout!

Discussion in 'Training Plans and Diet Suggestions' started by m2013, Feb 13, 2014.

1. Mattys

Mattys Veteran Contributor

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Ty really appreciate it.
    I think if I wasn’t carrying extra weight I’d have been more than happy to jump straight into running I was just worried about putting to much strain on my knees/ankles before I had even started!
    What do you mean like overall distance such as 3 mile run find that distance jog 500m walk a bit jog 500m until completed 3 mile something like that or am I nowhere near *text deleted*?
    If I can manage to do the 3x level 6 bleeps which I only have 60 sec rest inbetween sets that works out just under 3 mile which you wouldn’t think.
    I do need to test myself tho even if it’s just a 1.5 mile run as it’s always a good gauge of where your at physically and might actually surprise myself who knows!

Haha yeah I know it’s funny you ask me to climb a tree or a lampost or anything really no issues but something that looks as easy as a pullup is the most frustrating thing!

2. Chelonian

Chelonian Moderator

Be wary about accepting climbing challenges. Particularly when in drink. :)

brnc.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Geespt

Geespt Royal Marines Commando

App Stage:
    Passed PRMC
    Murph Monday tomorrow!

upload_2020-5-17_23-47-46.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  4. Lockerz2112

Lockerz2112 Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Sunday
    9¼ mile yomp with 10kg vest and small backpack over mixed hilly terrain.
    10 mins once back home to rehydrate, get kit off etc. Then
    10x rounds of
    11 press ups
    10 squats
    3 pull ups

And then loads of stretching

5. ALDL9RM

ALDL9RM Valuable Contributor

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    8 mile walk/yomp with 6 kg+water and some stinking hills in just under 2 hours

• Like Like x 1
  6. sbradb

sbradb Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Having a little bother with the beep test recently.

Never been strong with the beep test usually getting low level 11’s in practice and on my PRMC however had a couple of particularly bad goes recently doing it as wanting to maintain.
    10.7 on Friday (shrugged it off to legs being exhausted at the time as had a tough legs session a couple of days earlier) and I thought I’d make up for it today but got 11.0 on the dot with legs on fire and pretty much hanging through level 9. I know it doesn’t sound like much difference but the beep test is something I can’t really let slip as I really struggle to get it back. The rest of the RMFA and BFT I’m personally happy with.

Would the strong runners amongst you suggest a focus on intervals or a few more long runs to remedy this?

7. anon1234

anon1234 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed AIB
    Reverse engineer the bleep test - it's repeated 20m runs, with a change of direction, with increasing speed for a decent length of time. So you need to train... running fairly fast, for a lot of repetitions with a change of direction, over a 20m distance.

You could do 3 sets at level 8, then next week 9 and so on.

Or you could do shuttles, for example, >75reps of a 20m run (pace = not quite a full sprint, ~80% effort), and rest 5-10 seconds after each 20m run.
    - The purpose here is, if you can run at 80% of your top speed repeatedly for 75+ reps, then that sustainment of speed will transfer to holding speed in the bleep test itself.

For POC, I got up to 100 x 20m, each rep was <4seconds and I only rested 5-10s after each 20m. This took me exactly 1 level higher than before doing this style of training. Hope it helps

• Like Like x 3
  8. sbradb

sbradb Active Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Cheers mate!

9. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Completed the 10x 400m laps with no issues calves bit tight but that’s expected.

I know I had 2min rest inbetween laps but decided to have a look at my watch after finishing the 8th lap (3 mile) and it showed 19.47 (35.47 with the rests).
    I’ve very chuffed with this as when i done 6 laps I was just walking around waiting for the 2min rest to end which shows I don’t need this kind of rest period but it was more of a backup if I burned myself out to soon and couldn’t finish the rest which wasn’t the case!

I know doing the 3x sets of bleep aswell as the 60m sprints on the fintan has crossed over to this and next week I’ll either drop the 2min rest or do 5x of 800m instead with a slight rest inbetween.

10. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet

What others have said I agree with try doing more sets of a lower level and see how that treats you?
    3x level 7/8 or 2x level 8/9?

When you next do your bleep test maybe try and do it without having done any strenuous leg workouts a few days before so your fresh that way you can gauge where your at with it and go from there.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ALDL9RM

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    20 mile mountain biking

12. thirdtry

thirdtry Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Joining other service
    Staggering today's strength and conditioning into 3 smaller sessions to increase overall volume:

AM: 3x RMFA Max Press Ups, Sit Ups, Pull Ups, 20 Burpees, 1 Minute Plank

After Lunch PM:
    Superset 5x:
    - 8 OHP @~40kg
    - 10 BO Row @40kg
    Superset 5x:
    - 12 Decline Press Ups (3 down 1 up)
    - 20 Sandbag Lunges (per leg) @20kg
    Superset 5x:
    - 10 Pull Ups
    - 15 Jump Squats

Evening PM:
    15 down to 1
    - Snatches @30kg
    - Sweepers (30kg bar)

13. ALDL9RM

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    AM
    6 Strict pull ups EMOM 15
    5 sets max rep pull ups SSet TRX rows
    5 sets banded face pulls SSet DB shrugs
    Finished with biceps and grip

Midday
    6 mile walk with 7kg

PM is going to be
    11 press ups EMOM 30
    Straight into 15 press ups EMOM 30
    Finished with Ab circuit and stretching

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Finished the carries ( farmers walk) today.

Did my 10 x 50 metres one either hand I weighed them and they both weight 14kg so just over 2 stone each.
    Is it better to do this sort of training with more weight and less distance or does it not really matter?

15. geraltofrivea

geraltofrivea Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    Morning: 5k

Afternoon: vPJFT+, 5x10 Pull ups + 1x10 Negatives

16. ALDL9RM

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Got to my local trail centre just after 5 this morning to beat the crowds, didn’t see a single person for the 3 hours I was charging sound the trails, can’t beat it:D

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Griff149

Griff149 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    The human body is pretty good at telling you when you’re in need of a break. There is absolutely a need to train hard when trying to achieve the level of fitness needed for the RM, however you also have to train smart.

The body needs adequate amounts of rest to be able to recover and improve from hard workouts. Without it, performance will drop and improvements will be small to non-existent. Overtraining is a real thing and you may wish to review your training plan to look to give your body the opportunity to be able to adapt. Muscle fibres are broken down and suffer tiny tears when training which then repair and grow back stronger, however if they never have the chance to fully repair, the grow back stronger bit takes a hit!

My advice, also as a PT, would be to either take an entire week off, or to have a very very light week of training. I have no doubt your body will thank you for it and you will likely come back feeling refreshed and performing better.

18. Griff149

Griff149 Well-Known Member

App Stage:
    Passed Interview
    VPJFT+ style circuit.

3 Rounds for time

x30 Burpees
    x40 sit ups
    x30 press ups
    90s plank
    x8 hanging leg raises
    x6 pull ups
    x60 mountain climbers

Knocked 55 seconds off my previous effort with a time of 36:27, which in the mid day heat I’m pretty pleased with!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Private_Ryan

Private_Ryan Member

App Stage:
    Passed PJFT
    Did a mock officers vPJFT, I've been hearing that recently they've added an extra round onto the normal vpjft, had to dig in a tad but it's still very much doable.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mattys

App Stage:
    Not Applied Yet
    Very chuffed with today’s workout!

Completed 3x level 6 bleep had to dig a bit on the 3rd set but overall I was pleased with it ,I’ll jump to 3x level 7 in a fortnights time and give that ago!

I never usually eat anything before a workout but decided to eat a banana just before and just after the bleep test made a massive difference butran out of water half way through tho (2ltr!)

Added and tried burpees for the 1st time today and I will be adding them in regular now to as there not to be underestimated! I felt I will get used to them but doing them last part of a fintan didn’t really help!

Not sure of the temperature today but felt like it was the hottest day this year so far it was sweltering!!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2