Your last session/workout!

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Good idea that!

I also found that useful to improve my pull-up max reps, was stuck at 12 for a while but used a band to do 20+, after using bands I could do 16 reps. Arms got used to working for that length of time.
Good idea that!

I also found that useful to improve my pull-up max reps, was stuck at 12 for a while but used a band to do 20+, after using bands I could do 16 reps. Arms got used to working for that length of time.
FairPlay!
Not many people can do a couple of pull-ups let alone 16!
What sort of resistance was you using after you done normal pull-ups to then finish with the assistance?

anon1234

Reaction score
I would use the blue/orange color (about 2-3 inch wide band) and did the whole set using it. So you get way more than normal.

Then as I got better go to the red bands (0.5-1 inch wide or so) and did the same number. Basically just doing more than I could with the assistance...then gradually taking the assistance away

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Just finished my 6x 800m.
Definitely improving every session after doing the first 6x laps was actually looking at the clock thinking 2min rest is way to long as I honestly didn’t need it!
Calves were a bit tight again but they come and go.

I wasn’t going to change this routine for a few weeks as I wanted to see how it went but I’m thinking i will change it next week so not sure what to yet?
I have done
10x 400m (2min rest each set)
6x 800m (2min rest each set)

4x 1200m??
3x 1600m??

With maybe longer rest period inbetween say 5min?

I’m not blowing or anything when I was doing this I felt fine if anything I got bored!
Only physical issues I felt was just my calves tightening up.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I would use the blue/orange color (about 2-3 inch wide band) and did the whole set using it. So you get way more than normal.

Then as I got better go to the red bands (0.5-1 inch wide or so) and did the same number. Basically just doing more than I could with the assistance...then gradually taking the assistance away
Agh not sure on resistance of them as some bands with same colours have different resistance frustrating like having cheese/salt n vinegar blue or green!

I got you makes sense I got red band very thin and it’s near enough doing a pull-up using it as doesn’t help really to much!

anon1234

Reaction score
I got you makes sense I got red band very thin and it’s near enough doing a pull-up using it as doesn’t help really to much!
Yeah so an example :

Weeks 1-3 Assisted Pull-ups (thickest Band/most help) 4 x 10
Weeks 4-6 Assisted Pull-ups (mid thick Band/moderate help) 4 x 10
Weeks 6-8 Assisted Pull-ups (thinnest Band/least help) 4 x 10
Then no band and hopefully you’ll get near 10 reps!

ALDL9RM

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Had a shitty bleep test result this morning and it’s bothered me all day so went and cracked another one tonight - hit 12.11 which is a new PB so I’m happy with that! Finished with 60 x 20m with each shuttle being ~ 4 seconds and 5-10 seconds rest like in the quoted post

Reverse engineer the bleep test - it's repeated 20m runs, with a change of direction, with increasing speed for a decent length of time. So you need to train... running fairly fast, for a lot of repetitions with a change of direction, over a 20m distance.

You could do 3 sets at level 8, then next week 9 and so on.

Or you could do shuttles, for example, >75reps of a 20m run (pace = not quite a full sprint, ~80% effort), and rest 5-10 seconds after each 20m run.
- The purpose here is, if you can run at 80% of your top speed repeatedly for 75+ reps, then that sustainment of speed will transfer to holding speed in the bleep test itself.

For POC, I got up to 100 x 20m, each rep was <4seconds and I only rested 5-10s after each 20m. This took me exactly 1 level higher than before doing this style of training. Hope it helps

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Did a 10k fartlek session today. 10 sprints/strides over 10k (jog for the rest periods, never walk, that's the niche difference between a fartlek run and a true sprints intervals session).

Tomorrow I'm looking at doing an adapted version of the determination session GrizzPhys shared the other day (changing the exercises for my own liking):

- 2km Run
- 100 Sandbag Clean & Press @20kg
- 2km Run
- 100 Sandbag Snatches @20kg
- 2km Run
- 100 Sandbag Squats

Then some planks, decline press-ups and pull-ups to make sure everything burns.

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for some help at fixing up my workout routine as I'm not making much progress. Recovering from some nasty shin splints so running has taken a hit and keep getting set backs with them returning, and having to start from scratch with push ups due to a rotator cuff injury. Any help is appreciated. Due to shift patterns changing each week and having to pick up a few more 15hr shifts a week I can't have a set timetable but try to fit everything in around work, so this week was:

Monday Weights
Tuesday Circuit
Wednesday Core focused Circuit + Exercise bike intervals (hope to change to hill sprints soon)
Thursday 15hr shift
Friday Exercise Bike 60 mins + Circuit
Saturday Very slow run (in order to build back up the physio said to start out with 2 minute runs and then build up, currently at 30 mins) + Cycle + Circuit
Sunday 15hr shift

With the standard circuit its: (all done to PRMC test bleep where applicable)
Push ups 16 21 21 16 10
Sit Ups 80 85 85 85
Dips 18 22 22 18
Diamond Push Ups 8 12 12 8 10
(when the outdoor gym reopens) Pull Ups 4 6 6 4 4

Shameful stats but I don't want the injuries to reoccur so building up slowly. any advice is appreciated.

LilInac

Reaction score
WEDNESDAY
Hill sprints 3km in total 20.20min small improvement, feeling good with hill sprints so going to up them after next week.

FRIDAY
5km total 29min not as good as previous time but putting that down to the legit heat we have hate running in the sun as a big lad sweat like a pig and dry mouth but done it and was fairly happy

PUSHUPS
Starting to do gainers now doing 12-11-11 currently fairly easy for now. 5/4days on the rest off are when I hit chest with barbell etc.

Tomorrow sprints longest run not looking forward to it with this weather at all hate the sun going to bring a bit of water with me hopefully helps a small bit, seems crazy but really asking for a wet summer !!

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah so an example :

Weeks 1-3 Assisted Pull-ups (thickest Band/most help) 4 x 10
Weeks 4-6 Assisted Pull-ups (mid thick Band/moderate help) 4 x 10
Weeks 6-8 Assisted Pull-ups (thinnest Band/least help) 4 x 10
Then no band and hopefully you’ll get near 10 reps!
I like the looks of that routine! I’ll make one after which is similar to it! How often weekly should this workout be done?

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Looking for some help at fixing up my workout routine as I'm not making much progress. Recovering from some nasty shin splints so running has taken a hit and keep getting set backs with them returning, and having to start from scratch with push ups due to a rotator cuff injury. Any help is appreciated. Due to shift patterns changing each week and having to pick up a few more 15hr shifts a week I can't have a set timetable but try to fit everything in around work, so this week was:

Monday Weights
Tuesday Circuit
Wednesday Core focused Circuit + Exercise bike intervals (hope to change to hill sprints soon)
Thursday 15hr shift
Friday Exercise Bike 60 mins + Circuit
Saturday Very slow run (in order to build back up the physio said to start out with 2 minute runs and then build up, currently at 30 mins) + Cycle + Circuit
Sunday 15hr shift

With the standard circuit its: (all done to PRMC test bleep where applicable)
Push ups 16 21 21 16 10
Sit Ups 80 85 85 85
Dips 18 22 22 18
Diamond Push Ups 8 12 12 8 10
(when the outdoor gym reopens) Pull Ups 4 6 6 4 4

Shameful stats but I don't want the injuries to reoccur so building up slowly. any advice is appreciated.
Guess having that sort of injury is one of those things you just get unlucky to have then have to bide your time till there gone csnt really do much about it in all honest.
Do you get shin splints often?
All you can really focus on is biking and bodyweight exercises or swimming if this is possible by you.
If you still have shin splints even if mild I wouldn’t even run at all in all honest but that’s down to you and how you feel when you are running even when it’s only 2minutes at a time.

Don’t worry about the stats everyone has to start somewhere it’s just building that foundation really to achieve it so don’t sweat it.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Was ment to do my bodyweight exercises and stuff today but changed thst to tomorrow and had today as a rest day instead.
After doing the cardio session with the hill sprints yesterday ended up having to cycle 8 mile with a 50lb backpack had to push the bike up most the hills as I was worried for the safety of my tyres carrying that and my fat as.s!!
So spent all today watching the football and drinking a lot of chocolate milkshake!

Chelonian

Reaction score
...ended up having to cycle 8 mile with a 50lb backpack had to push the bike up most the hills...
Yep, it hurts. A guy I train with is aged in his mid-seventies. In his younger years he was a competent club hill climber. It amuses him when I have to dismount and push. :(

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yep, it hurts. A guy I train with is aged in his mid-seventies. In his younger years he was a competent club hill climber. It amuses him when I have to dismount and push. :(
haha thats funny the hills ain’t an issue it was just the added weight and looking down at how flat the tyres we’re when I was trying to force myself up a hill I didn’t want to risk it as I was in the middle of nowhere and don’t carry puncture kits with me!

anon1234

Reaction score
How often weekly should this workout be done?
Yeah modify it for yourself of course. The more frequently you practice the better you'll get, 3 times per week is a good amount frequency.

But you could do Day 1 - band assisted Day 2 - negatives / dead hangs Day 3 - band assisted again. So you could include the other sessions you do within it.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Didn’t think I’d come along this quick but as I have no niggles or anything I’ve changed it up again and will push it out again next week and see where I stand.
I’ll keep changing it every week until I need to progress.

Going to give the 3x 1600m ago and see how it goes if I can do these with no issues then I’ll start testing the 1.5mile very soon.

Dropped the bleep test from 3 sets to 2 sets but increased to level 7 , I was doing the 3 sets to increase my overall distance and work on my vo2 and I believe this has helped massively and shown on the 400m laps in such a short time but it’s time to start trying to get in the testing levels with the bleep test.

I’ve increased the hill sprints and gone from 1 set to 2 sets in the circuit but dropped down to 15 reps from 20 reps so although less reps overall I’ll be doing twice as many sprints and training for a lot longer to build that endurance.

Keeping the dead hangs as there pretty brutal at 30sec each but doing them one after the other soon gets the forearms burning and nice blisters appearing on the hands!

Added in res band pull ups on the regular now to hopefully get my body used to them so I can go up through the resistance in quick time!

Was thinking about using chalk for the dead hangs but does this define the point of grip strength if your using some form of assistance if chalk is classed as that??

Attachments

Corona

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
Guess having that sort of injury is one of those things you just get unlucky to have then have to bide your time till there gone csnt really do much about it in all honest.
Do you get shin splints often?
All you can really focus on is biking and bodyweight exercises or swimming if this is possible by you.
If you still have shin splints even if mild I wouldn’t even run at all in all honest but that’s down to you and how you feel when you are running even when it’s only 2minutes at a time.

Don’t worry about the stats everyone has to start somewhere it’s just building that foundation really to achieve it so don’t sweat it.
I've had shin splints on and off for the whole year, although none as bad as at the start when it was constant pain all over (thanks to people on here who sent me exercises to do). I just seem to push it a bit too hard, be it increasing speed too much, introducing hills to early or just doing too much. Hoping this time is the one, as I'm following the plan of:

First month: goal for month to just build up to a 3 Miler 3 times a week. On dirt and not on the pavement just yet.
Second Month: practice the 3 mile test. On pavement and trails.
Third Month: incorporate more speed work and sprint circuits to shave off the last remaining few seconds. mostly on trails for the hills but the test was on pavement

anon1234

Reaction score
Yeah build up slowly mate, 5-10% increases each week and de-load every 4-6 weeks slightly.

I’d always make the most of slow easy runs as these are the least stress on your musculoskeletal system (@Harry McRunFast has mentioned this before with the 80:20 rule), and you can keep easy slow long runs in year round and sub in faster work (400-1200m) or hills etc...

Hope the shins get better!