Your last session/workout!

thirdtry

Valuable Contributor
Reaction score
I am aha!

I don’t have a lap button!?

Unless I need to update?
There is no lap button on Strava. It's why on the day I do BFT and Murph my followers have to suffer "1.5 warm up", "1.5 best effort", "First Mile Murph" and "Last Mile Murph" all on the same day :D

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Not workout related but close enough and thinking with all the fitness freaks on this post they’ll be a few good people who have them!

I’m looking for a watch to buy so I can use for the running side of things , If it has GPS I don’t want to have to use my phone to use it as in needing to connect to the data/bluetooth! as id rather not have my phone with me.

Something that has settings such as it will let me know when it will hit a certain distance 400m 1 mile , 3 mile etc. Or it will beep every 2 minutes or something like that?

It will only be used for running workouts mainly so I can keep the distance with the time and use it for say shuttle runs/sprints and itl go off after every rest period along those lines if it has these settings.

Need it to be waterproof as that’s all it does here!! And also don’t want it to be to big like these triathletes wear! as ill be using it for bodyweight exercises also.

Price anywhere really up to £200 as it is needed and will be used daily and there’s so many to look at I don’t know what’s good or just overpriced!

Ive used gps running apps on my phone before and the distances always seem to be different come the end!

Must have great gps and waterproof tho that’s 2 certainties!

Langa please?

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Not workout related but close enough and thinking with all the fitness freaks on this post they’ll be a few good people who have them!

I’m looking for a watch to buy so I can use for the running side of things , If it has GPS I don’t want to have to use my phone to use it as in needing to connect to the data/bluetooth! as id rather not have my phone with me.

Something that has settings such as it will let me know when it will hit a certain distance 400m 1 mile , 3 mile etc. Or it will beep every 2 minutes or something like that?

It will only be used for running workouts mainly so I can keep the distance with the time and use it for say shuttle runs/sprints and itl go off after every rest period along those lines if it has these settings.

Need it to be waterproof as that’s all it does here!! And also don’t want it to be to big like these triathletes wear! as ill be using it for bodyweight exercises also.

Price anywhere really up to £200 as it is needed and will be used daily and there’s so many to look at I don’t know what’s good or just overpriced!

Ive used gps running apps on my phone before and the distances always seem to be different come the end!

Must have great gps and waterproof tho that’s 2 certainties!
I bought a Garmin Forerunner 10 about 6 years ago and still serves me well.

GPS is very accurate and I've used it in torrential rain. I like the settings on the watch too, gives me lap times at each mile, you can set the display to show time/distance/pace amongst others. I usually have it set to show my running pace and then flash up every mile with a split time.

Once you've finished the run it saves and you can connect it to the laptop to show a whole range of analytics.

Bearing in mind this is now a very old watch in tech terms theres probably all sorts of fancy stuff out there but I have never needed anything more.

Langa please?

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Can you do laps on these, I have one that was given to me.

Say you wanted to do 400m reps, could you do it on the forerunner 10?
I believe you could programme it so show split times of 400m on the analytics, but I'm not sure if you can build in auto rest periods between reps. Although I think you could probably pause the activity for your rest period and restart for your next 400m, if it was programmed for 400m 'laps' that should work.

Its not something I've tried to be honest, I use the dreadmill for intervals usually.

Last edited:

Hubb97

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
I am aha!

I don’t have a lap button!?

Unless I need to update?
Haha I guess if you’re using the phone app it probably doesn’t, I assumed you were using a watch. The one I use you can just press lap (or even set auto lap to a set distance, for example 1m) and it will just show the pace for that specific lap, and will show the different lap times and paces once you sync it to garmin connect. Understandable if you haven’t got a semi decent watch though!

Langa please?

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I believe you could programme it so show split times of 400m on the analytics, but I'm not sure if you can build in auto rest periods between reps. Although I think you could probably pause the activity for your rest period and restart for your next 400m, if it was programmed for 400m 'laps' that should work.

Its not something I've tried to be honest, I use the dreadmill for intervals usually.
@Harry McRunFast I've just had a quick look on the watch, it seems the auto lap is restricted to a 1 mile distance, but there is a lap key which you can turn on.

I would assume that this gives you the ability to manually create a split whenever you want. Using this coupled with pausing the run should be able to give you a 400m interval breakdown, with rest periods and contained within one activity.

LilInac

Reaction score
SUNDAY
felt very good the insoles and my feet are adjusting better and better which is good no shin pains or anything !!
sprints in total 39:40 an improvement of 5mins(from last week with pain) and 1min from my best time so very happy
WEDNESDAY
hill sprints
Another 1min improvement from past best time feeling good
Cut down my gainers went a bit high so trying 7-6-6 *text deleted*

that was it for me this week working construction which is very hard work got in 15km in one day and training will be back to norm this week! Up at 5am and back at 5pm is tough!

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I bought a Garmin Forerunner 10 about 6 years ago and still serves me well.

GPS is very accurate and I've used it in torrential rain. I like the settings on the watch too, gives me lap times at each mile, you can set the display to show time/distance/pace amongst others. I usually have it set to show my running pace and then flash up every mile with a split time.

Once you've finished the run it saves and you can connect it to the laptop to show a whole range of analytics.

Bearing in mind this is now a very old watch in tech terms theres probably all sorts of fancy stuff out there but I have never needed anything more.
That sounds great and as you said the age of that might be an issue with the amount of updates you have these days they stop updating things after a certain spec.

I have been looking at the garmin watches and they seem very popular and good reviews but so many to choose can’t really tell the difference just the massive price increases!

I’ve got my eye on two but can’t decide like a right woman!

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1159534?clickSR=slp:term:garmin%20watch:16:1135:1

[URL]https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8878430
[/URL]

Leaning more towards the 1st one.

Langa please?

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
That sounds great and as you said the age of that might be an issue with the amount of updates you have these days they stop updating things after a certain spec.

I have been looking at the garmin watches and they seem very popular and good reviews but so many to choose can’t really tell the difference just the massive price increases!

I’ve got my eye on two but can’t decide like a right woman!

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1159534?clickSR=slp:term:garmin watch:16:1135:1
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1159534?clickSR=slp:term:garmin%20watch:16:1135:1
https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8878430

Leaning more towards the 1st one.
Anything thats the latest model will probably have an over inflated price, probably worth looking at a release thats a year or two old. They're really good watches so its hard to go wrong!

Harry McRunFast

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
Anything thats the latest model will probably have an over inflated price, probably worth looking at a release thats a year or two old. They're really good watches so its hard to go wrong!
I understand that you can do laps with these GPS watches these days, I’m not sure about how you can use them to do rest periods?

Say you wanted to do 400m reps, with 3 minutes rest, would it still record you if you were standing still, or walking around slowly... or could are there devices where you can just press the lap button and it’ll start, you do the rep, then press the lap button again and it’ll pause recording etc?

Langa please?

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I understand that you can do laps with these GPS watches these days, I’m not sure about how you can use them to do rest periods?

Say you wanted to do 400m reps, with 3 minutes rest, would it still record you if you were standing still, or walking around slowly... or could are there devices where you can just press the lap button and it’ll start, you do the rep, then press the lap button again and it’ll pause recording etc?
To be honest I'm not sure what the new fancy ones can do! I would imagine yes, I'd find it difficult to believe that sort of functionality won't have been flagged in the last 6 years or so and added!

Might be worth looking at some video reviews and seeing if its mentioned.

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah for sure this is why I’m looking at ones under £200 rather than those ones that are going for £600!
Some good reviews so will definitely get garmin as the main one.

Langa please?

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah for sure this is why I’m looking at ones under £200 rather than those ones that are going for £600!
Some good reviews so will definitely get garmin as the main one.
I shelled out a decent amount on a fitbit about 3 years ago that had all the bells and whistles. Came with a 2 year warranty and broke after 2 years 1 week haha.

Old trusty Garmin still working perfectly after 6.

Harry McRunFast

Veteran Contributor
Reaction score
To be honest I'm not sure what the new fancy ones can do! I would imagine yes, I'd find it difficult to believe that sort of functionality won't have been flagged in the last 6 years or so and added!

Might be worth looking at some video reviews and seeing if its mentioned.
I suppose it’s not a huge deal. I’m not an elite runner, I’ll just spam my 3 Strava followers with multiple daily activities instead :D

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
I shelled out a decent amount on a fitbit about 3 years ago that had all the bells and whistles. Came with a 2 year warranty and broke after 2 years 1 week haha.

Old trusty Garmin still working perfectly after 6.
That’s funny haha least you got 2 good years out of it! Oh and the week!

Mattys

Venerated Contributor
Reaction score
This is new workout for the week ahead.

I’ve upped it every week so this week the same situation again until I fail miserably!

I can run back to back 1.5 mile now but haven’t been doing it for time so going to see if I can get under 13min for each and will have a gauge of where im at then pace wise so 2.10 every 400m ive been doing it around 2.27 each.

Dropping 1x level 7 and 1x level 8 and going to attempt just 1x level 9 at the bleep test and see if i can manage it , Crazy considering was doing 3x level 4 a month ago *text deleted* laugh what a disgrace *text deleted*.

I’ve decided to drop the weights ive been at 14 stone for 2 weeks and feel I need to work harder at being lighter rather than carrying extra weight still even if muscle it’s no good to have and milk will also be getting the boot as drinking 2 litre a day isn’t helping!

My workouts are starting to base around everything that’s involved in the vpjft although I haven’t tried it just building the base for it and will attempt it in a week or two to see how I do Im finding the plank the easiest but the jump from the plank to burpees will be the bits I feel will require me to dig in.

Any questions or input don’t feel hesitated to question my routine or add input!

Attachments